Houzz Logo Print
laurie_laville

Two sofas or a sectional?

6年前
最終更新:6年前





The tv will go on the wall in between the two windows in the first picture. The door to the side porch shows in the second picture. There is a kitchen with an island is on the right of that side porch door. The first picture was taken from the front door facing this space and a stairway is just across from the front door. I can't decide between two sofas in an L shape with a table and lamp or a sectional. I'd love a game or puzzle table in there if possible. That side view is pretty so maybe swivel chairs? Any advice?


This is view from front door into the space kitchen on back left dining on back right stairway not showing but just ahead on right. A walkway leading to kitchen dining is the "boundary" of the sitting area that would have either a sofa or part of the sectional backing up to it. I guess a credenza or something would go on the stairway wall.


コメント (57)

  • 6年前

    Sectionals are great if you have kids who sprawl on the couch or someone (ahem my husband) who likes to nap on the couch. If you will use the room a bit more formally where everyone is expected to sit nicely, the corner will be unused. So for now, both! Looks like you are a ways away from ordering furniture, so do an idea book with different possibilities and see what evolves when you get your finishes picked out.

    Laurie LavilleさんはShadyWillowFarmさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    We have a sectional with a chaise and an ottoman attached and two chairs. For our family of five and with guests this set up works great. We also have a table off to the side that currently is my home office (pandemic style) but normally is a puzzle table. We have the tv over our mantel.

    Laurie LavilleさんはWestCoast Hopefulさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    We actually taped out the floor to make sure it was what we wanted for the space. Highly recommend using tape or old boxes to get a feel for the space before purchasing

    Laurie LavilleさんはWestCoast Hopefulさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    What a pretty view you have A S! WOrking from home must be great in that space!


  • 6年前

    Well I’d rather be in my classroom teaching in person but it worked for spring!

    We also thought about getting some poofs/small covered stools and putting at end of the coffee table or a bench for under the window.

    But in all honesty when we have family dinners with up to 15 people it seems like everyone finds a spot happily and spreads out just fine.

  • 6年前
    最終更新:6年前

    I think my husband worries that if we have two couches we won't snuggle while watching tv. I found a really nice couch in a performance fabric that actually pops up so we could still watch tv together and the other couch could be a regular couch in a matching style. The owner of the store where I saw them is getting me the information. https://www.vhomeandinteriors.com/ I love the idea of using tape and boxes to lay things out before buying anything.

  • 6年前

    I am/was a teacher too! We have ottomans that fit under our coffee table that we pull out and put our feet up on all the time. In this new house I might try that again or go with a big upholstered coffee table. I like poofs and benches under sofa tables too. I bought a set of folding "benches" (more like a luggage rack) that we can use someplace. I have some pretty fabric to "slipcover" them meaning just place it on top of existing fabric.

  • 6年前

    That whole "we won't snuggle while watching tv" just sounds so dumb. I think he just doesn't want us to be on two separate islands of couches. Everyone and a bunch of dogs will be lying all over whatever goes there.

  • PRO
    6年前

    2 sofas IMO a no brainer. Sectionals are great to look at but IMO you spend a ton of money for 2 people to be comfortabel since comfort comes from arm rests. @ sofas give you 4 people that are comfortable and still a space to lay down or cuddle.

  • 6年前

    Two sofas. With company, I don't enjoy sitting all together. Plus, it's hard to change around.



  • 6年前

    Lots of sectional hate on this forum. I love mine, and there is zero issue with guests.

    I buy my furniture based upon my/my family’s comfort, not on my guests.

    We use the couch 7 days a week, guests maybe 2-3 x month.

    when people come over, they fight over who gets to sit in corner.


  • 6年前

    @suedonim75 100% agree. We also love ours and it’s amazing for our daily use.

  • 6年前

    two sofas or 1 regular sofa and 1 with a chaise on one end is an option (some can be interchanged as to which side the long part goes).

  • PRO
    6年前

    Sofas and lounge chairs any day over sectionals. Much greater seating capacity, and more flexibility for furniture arrangements. Leave the sectionals to HGTV!

  • 6年前

    Whenever people like something that the "Pro's" hate, an HGTV dig is thrown in, lol. I haven't watched HGTV in a decade.

  • 6年前
    最終更新:6年前

    Draw out what your walk paths will be from the kitchen/dining to the stairs, to the porch doors, to the sofa or sectional to actually sit in them. Sofas in an L shape generally have a side table at the corner where they meet for a lamp, place to put a drink etc. so that eliminates a walk path between them in the same way a sectional does. Don't let your furniture dictate your walk path, have your convenient walk path dictate your furniture.


  • 6年前

    I have a sectional in one room and 2 sofas and 2 chairs in another room. Sometimes the room really works better with a sectional ... and sometimes it doesn't.


    The secret with a sectional is having the space for a large one that can actually fit enough people. Ours will sit 5 "strangers" comfortably, without even using the large curved corner piece. I think ours is 9' x 13'. My friend has one that is bulky, but barely sits 3 people, so I didn't think it made the best use of her space, but they love it.

  • 6年前
    最終更新:6年前

    I love my sister-in-law's sectional, and I actually love claiming the corner part (with my legs across the seats, chaise-style). so cozy! but I suppose that works because I usually only have to share it with one or two other people, and it's enormous so there's plenty of space for all of us to sprawl out. if you're seating 4 or more people often, I can see how separate couches would work better.

    my husband and I bought a plain sofa for our basement TV area and very much regret not getting a sectional.

    Laurie LavilleさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    Sectionals make sense in some places and sometimes they don't. I'd do two sofas in this space because of traffic patterns in the room.

    Laurie Lavilleさんはsheadさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    I love our sectional! Family of 6, I take the corner almost always! We had it made 5 years ago and it's still fabulous. I would buy another one in a heart beat.

    Laurie Lavilleさんはlucky998877さんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    Laurie that is so sweet that you guys snuggle when watching tv!!! Definitely make sure you keep the snuggle factor, whatever you decide.

    Laurie LavilleさんはShadyWillowFarmさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    Why not try a grouping like this with the sofa facing your favorite view and the chairs all swivels that can turn to enjoy it and then back to conversation?

    Kiawah Family Home · 詳細


    Laurie Lavilleさんはdecoenthusiasteさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    6年前

    Or...for a slightly more modern approach:








    Laurie LavilleさんはVirgil Carter Fine Artさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    two couches! I'm not a fan of sectionals, and i think couches look nicer. (Also, if you ever move, NOONE wants to buy your sectional, with or without the house!)

    Laurie Lavilleさんはlookintomyeyes83さんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前
    最終更新:6年前

    I have two sofas and two chairs in my living room where we entertain guests and a small sectional in the den where we watch TV. I love the sectional since it's easy to stretch out without a need for an ottoman. No one sits in the corner because we have enough seating without that space, but for watching TV, nothing beats sitting in that corner, upright, with your legs stretched out.

    ETA: Use boxes, not tape to lay out your furniture. Tape is 2-dimensional. You need the box to get a feel for the 3-dimensional space. Sometimes things look ok on paper, but are too bulky for a space.

    Laurie LavilleさんはLouise Smithさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    I am going to try the box idea! I need visuals for sure and that 3D helps!


    I think two sofas might be best for us because of the flexibility of furniture arranging and so we won't be battling over the corner spot which I agree is the PERFECT spot on the sectionals. I tried a sectional at a store yesterday and missed having the two arms that we would lose.


    I will just join the hubby on the same sofa if he looks sad over there! We share the sofa at our house now.


    I saw a bench seat sofa that I liked. https://www.georgianfurnishing.com/robin-bruce-one-cushion-sofa/laney-003-1509/iteminformation.aspx

    I also saw some amazing swivel chairs too.


    We are a family of sprawlers, so I think 4 swivels would hinder that but it is a pretty look!


    I sure appreciate all of your input. Two sofas and sectionals are both great options, so all is good. I'll keep y'all posted.

  • 6年前

    as much as I love curling up in the corner part of a sectional, I will admit that a major downside is not having access to a side table for my drink.

    Laurie LavilleさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    That statement is the convincing factor! We will be enjoying some drinks at that house and will need a handy place to put them.

  • 6年前

    Sectionals not only limit placement but no one really likes sitting for an extended time without armrests or in the awkward no leg room corners. Besides, if you have even one stain or tear then in order to get rid of the problem, you have a lot of seating to replace at a significant cost.


    If you like a more formal vibe, you might consider a matching pair of sofas -- either 2-seat or 3-seat -- placed either facing each other or at right angles. Set them at the edge of a room rug away from the windows rather than blocking the natural light and view with the backs of the sofas.


    If you want a much more informal vibe for your beach front home, consider comfortable individual chairs, including individual swivel rocker recliners in sizes appropriate for those adults that will be using them regularly.


    You could also Invest in some comfortable chairs (including some folding chairs easily stored) for use when you have guests -- the kind you could use indoors or out.


    You might also consider pairs of modern bean bag chairs facing each other for beside each set of windows for children (and more agile adults) with a storage ottoman in between them (with flip lid so it could be used as a table for games stored in the ottoman) -- making sure they're strong enough so they could also be used as extra seating.


    https://www.google.com/search?q=modern+bean+bag+chairs&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzs6nV877qAhUnl3IEHQONDiYQ_AUoAnoECA8QBA&biw=1366&bih=654

  • 6年前

    Sectionals are comfy and great for snuggling but I think sofa and chairs is visually nicer. I'm in love with that view! You are one lucky woman!

    Laurie LavilleさんはLivingroomさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    I really find the sectional hate so interesting on this forum. We had a sofa and chairs for years and a sectional now and absolutely love it. There hasn’t been one time in two years I’ve regretted it. Everyone is different of course but the dislike of them is so strong in these threads and makes me wonder how many people who are saying they are bad have even had one.

  • 6年前

    ^^^ - yup.
    I've had sectionals and in the right room they are wonderful. I've had a sofa and chairs in the wrong room and could not make it work no matter what. I've had a sofa and love seat/smaller sofa and no matter the modern look of the pieces and fabric the room felt very 'old lady' to me. There is no one size fits all.

    Sitting sideways in the corner of a sectional and having a sofa table with a lamp means you have a place to put a drink and light to read by. It's not as comfortable as a side table to place a drink but it works.

  • 6年前

    Check out Room and Board for swivel chairs! We got 2 from them and they are fantastic. Very well made, child proof...even when they spin them around forever. I reupholster furnite as a hobby, I'm very picky...the stiching is perfect in these chairs. Good luck!

    Laurie Lavilleさんはlucky998877さんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    6年前

    AS wrote, "...sectional hate...!"


    Com'on, AS. You're using that word in multiple postings. Why?


    This is a discussion thread for folks to relate their experiences, and preferences. You certainly do. There's no "hate" being expressed here. Some folks like sectionals. Some folks don't.
    That's what the discussion is about.


    Lighten up!

  • 6年前

    Virgil are you trolling my comments? I was not the only person to use the word in this thread FYI and yet you sure jumped on my comment.

  • PRO
    6年前
    最終更新:6年前

    I have had sofas and sectionals and I can confidently say based on my personal experience that the sectionals I absolutely ha . . . h . . . h . . . ha . . . don't like as well as sofas.

    Laurie LavilleさんはMark Bischak, Architectさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    Ha ha Mark! I do think all furniture needs to be chosen for the space. We love our sofa downstairs and love the sectional in living room too. It sounds like OP has made their call. In a space like theirs there are likely multiple positive ways it could be set up beautifully.

  • 6年前

    I didn’t read all the comments. Sectionals are often used when there is a large expanse of floor space. Visually they help fill the space.

    I have enjoyed a sectional in one home.

    I am assuming that this will not be the only living area. Will you have another space for sofas?





    Laurie Lavilleさんはeld6161さんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    Thanks, we will have a few small sitting areas upstairs. One is to have a built in bench window seat and some comfy chairs and a television. The other is on a landing and for the time being will have a cane back settee with a bench seat and two chairs and a television. The main floor is open concept and this will be the only place for sofas inside. We plan to have a sitting area on the side screen porch and a dining table out there as well.

  • 6年前

    I love the idea of bean bag chairs in the upstairs little room front room. It started out as a shed dormer with bunk beds and evolved into a gabled dormer with a vaulted (is that the term?) ceiling and two little bed nooks on either side. The bed nooks will have curtains. It's a little room across the front of the house with great views. I love the idea of sleeping in the little area with curtains. I think future grandchildren (if we are blessed with them) will love that space.


  • 6年前


    Inspiration for the bed nooks. There is a debate about where to put the little gooseneck light. Head of bed or centered on back wall. We are leaning towards head of bed. I think I just hijacked my own thread. Oh well, while I am at it...I love the idea of a little iron bed but only if it is on casters. The other idea is a platform bed on casters. Thoughts?


  • 6年前

    luckygirl, thanks for the tip. I am going to check out those swivel chairs!



  • 6年前

    So beautiful Laurie! I’m sure it will come together wonderfully. Looks like you have many creative spots to look outside and enjoy the view

    Laurie LavilleさんはWestCoast Hopefulさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    those bed nooks are really cool! I would have loved them as a kid (and even still today).

  • 6年前

    I've never been on a train, but I imagine it would be like those train berths. We only have one bedroom on the main floor, so we will give that room to guests who are challenged by the steps and have fun trying the different rooms upstairs. I can't wait! I still can't believe it is coming true. It has been a dream for over 30 years of marriage.

  • 6年前
    最終更新:6年前

    Neither. Both are dated. Modular sofa/chaise



    Here Add a large matching ottoman to move where you want it. It can be an added chaise and a table.



    Hancock and Moore - York


    https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/three-posts-teen-askerby-90-reversible-modular-sectional-with-ottoman-w002151066.html?piid=175254288


  • PRO
    6年前

    we (obviously) love sectionals :) this fabulous video shows lots of restoration hardware knock off's to help decorate anyone's home. fast forward to 10 min to see julia and hunters cloud replica sectional for inspiration.



    xo eva @ MONARCHSOFAS.COM


    Laurie LavilleさんはMonarch Sofasさんにお礼を言いました
  • 6年前

    I have a sectional with a view....the big advantage is the view is not blocked. The window sill is wide enough for a wine glass, the floor lamp is unobtrusive....the dogs a fan....

  • 6年前

    That is some view! Love the pup!

    I love all of those RH hacks or duped from that video!

    Lots of great options!

  • 5年前

    Two sofas worked! Can you find my leaky chihuahua?

PR