Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2116434

Bathroom dilemma: Shower or Bath?

Teresa S-j
10年前
最終更新:10年前
Our house has two full bathrooms and a WC. The bathroom located on the same floor and near the bedrooms needs a drastic makeover. The existing bathtub is 58" long-- not a standard length. Putting a 60" tub in would require shifting some pipes and narrowing the area around the toilet.

We would get more use out of it if it were a shower, although it would be a narrow shower -- 58" x 24" at best. This would only leave the very large jacuzzi tub in the downstairs bathroom and probably lessen our resale value on the house.

What do you suggest?
Turn it into a shower!
Make way for the tub.
Other (Please tell me!)

コメント (36)

• Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Is a large jacuzzi tub okay as the only one?
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10年前
    I am not sure. I think you should talk to some realtors. If I were to buy the house, a bathroom on the same level as my sleeping areas would be a high priority. But maybe the market has crossed that threshold and baths are no longer necessary.
    Teresa S-jさんはASVInteriorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10年前
    24" is extraordinarily narrow - there are ways to place glass to maximize elbow room in the interior of the shower even if the foot print is quite small...do explore the issue with your team.
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    Do you want to replace the tub because it is old? Can you have it professionally refinished? If you were to replace it for a 24 in. shower, I would have a curtain instead of a glass. It is softer on the elbows.
    Teresa S-jさんはsuzanne_mさんにお礼を言いました
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    The tub is old, the bathroom is old. We had storm damage and the walls behind the shower are compromised, so it really does need to be gutted. Thanks for all of the answers!
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    Is there a way you can cut on the size of the vanity to make room for the tub or a wider shower? Do you mind sharing a floor plan?
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10年前
    Yes, it would be helpful to see a floor plan with dimensions...
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I hope this makes sense - it's 'T'-shaped. The top part has a toilet & a sink -- the sink fits into a bit of a niche and then the room is narrower between that and the door. On the other side of the vanity and is the closet to the master bedroom. We can't cut into the master bedroom or there would be no room to walk in there.

We are more than willing to make structural changes within this space. Anything to make it more usable! Thank you.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    10年前
    Make it a tub/shower or find a way to make room for a bigger shower. 24" is unacceptably small.
    Teresa S-jさんはSoCal Contractorさんにお礼を言いました
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    Is the plumbing of the tub on the bottom wall or on the wall between toilet?
  • PRO
    10年前
    The alcove opposite the toilet is perfect for a shower with a 16" bench at the back. Water should be easily be fed from the wall behind the sink.

You could equally have a sink/vanity in the alcove, realign the entrance and have a much larger shower. This would involve much more work and expense, of course, and limits utility somewhat.
    Teresa S-jさんはJohn James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by designさんにお礼を言いました
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    If the plumbing is on the bottom wall, the solution is easy. Just change your doors from a 32 in. to a 28 in. and borrow 2 in. from the the toilet area. 44 in. is quite large, so 2 in. less will still be a very comfortable space. I think you will have room to slide in a 28 in. pocket door between the tub and the toilet.
  • Joanna Zygo
    10年前
    Shower without the walls (tiles on the floor and shower curtain for the space)
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    suzanne - the plumbing is in the wall between the tub and the toilet.
  • Lindsey Walsh
    10年前
    Looking at the floor plan, I think you really need to bite the bullet and move the plumbing in the wall between the toilet and bath to allow for a standard bath.
    Teresa S-jさんはLindsey Walshさんにお礼を言いました
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    I just realized that even if the plumbing were on the other wall, it would not work as nice as I thought... you would have only 30 in. in front of the vanity.
  • dbh
    10年前
    If you have to gut the bathroom anyway, moving a few pipes around -- since the walls will be open from gutting-- should not be a huge deal.
    Teresa S-jさんはdbhさんにお礼を言いました
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I agree dianahb - do you have any suggestions, given the overall size of the space?
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    Can we steal some space behind the vanity?
  • PRO
    AG Home Goods
    10年前
    Trust me a shower with a new touch screen water temp controlled system is the way to go
    Teresa S-jさんはAG Home Goodsさんにお礼を言いました
  • dbh
    10年前
    Well, I always have trouble looking at these diagrams. But I am a huge fan of pedestal sinks (and Kohler makes some really nice ones, with wide edges). I think they offer more space, and the room will also seem larger. Loss of vanity (storage) keeps people from doing that, but since you're gutting the room, you could always get a recessed medicine cabinet (love those, too). Robern (owned by Kohler) makes long full-length ones which offer tons of storage space, and a full length mirror. Those are not inexpensive, but for a small space, this is what I would do. I feel like if you're gonna re-do an entire bathroom, do it right, so that you (or someone else) will be happy with it many, many years down the road. Another option (since you will have the walls open) is to possibly-- if it can be done-- put in a shallow closet-- in place of that full-length medicine cabinet-- in the wall (in place of a vanity). Wall space can really serve as great storage, without taking up floor space.

But-- just to add here-- a pedestal sink, in place of a sink in vanity, will really open things up for you. When you can see the entire floor (not hidden by a vanity)-- the room will seem so much larger.
    Teresa S-jさんはdbhさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Change Your Bathroom©
    10年前
    Turn it into a walk in shower without a curb!
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Suzanne-m - the space behind the vanity is the entire closet in the master bedroom! Right now, there is just enough room between the bed and the closet to walk, so this is not an option.
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I agree, dianahab. If I can figure out how to link to another image on houzz, I'll show you what I was thinking for the area where the WC is....
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I like this look and it would work for the WC part of the bathroom, except it probably should be a tiled floor. :

Powder Room Renewal - · 詳細
  • Teresa S-jさんはsuzanne_mさんにお礼を言いました
  • dbh
    10年前
    I like the wall sink-- that makes sense, too. I wonder-- looking at your diagram up there (and, again, I have real trouble looking at diagrams and maps) ;) -- is it crazy to think about putting in a tub or tub/shower combination in that 9'x3" space where it looks like the toilet and vanity are now-- put a tub the width of that-- and then move the sink and toilet in the area where the tub is now?? Again, I apologize if reading this totally incorrectly. :)
  • PRO
    10年前
    The alcove opposite the toilet is a space 39.5" wide and 51" deep ... this is a realignment of the commonly pictured shower shape, but again provides ample room for a built-in bench and slope for no door if desired--and could be a steam shower (a luxury I have and would not do without). With the tub gone, you could put the vanity on the tub side with AMPLE room for a spectacular bathroom.

Interesting thread - but must get back to work!
    Teresa S-jさんはJohn James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by designさんにお礼を言いました
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    If you are willing to have only one entry in your master bathroom, you could have something like below. You would need to check with your contractor but maybe because the toilet is moved straight across, the labor might not be too costly.
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    GOFA's idea is really good!
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Suzanne, thank you -that looks like an interesting plan that makes the room look spacious rather than awkward. I think we'll price that one out along with the idea of adding a shower across form the toilet like Garden Oaks suggested.
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    It is not shown in the layouts above but the floor should be all the same for the entire area.
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    If you think you have enough storage with a 4'-10" wide vanity, you could use the 1'-6" storage shown in the layouts above in your closet instead.
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    Do you mind showing us the floor plan of your closet and bedroom?
  • Teresa S-j
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I'll have to take measurements, but will do so and post that either this afternoon--or more probably tomorrow.