Houzz Logo Print
spark1909

No design gene. HELP wanted!

spark1909
10年前
We moved into the home about 2.5 years ago. We can't agree on anything so we haven't done one thing except unpack. I (becuz "we" is at work now) need help on functional furniture arrangement for the family/living space and oh - what to do with the vases (my father-in-laws - touchy subject). The other dilemma is that sliding glass door (~6 ft with lovely vertical blinds) divides the living and dining area - wasted space. Thanks in advance.

コメント (10)

• PRO
    Tidewater Pro Build
    10年前
    "frame" the tv with some type of wall hangings you like, raise the vases on possibly a white table so you can actually see them (if you don't want to see them, chuck em), maybe consider white frames for the paintings. maybe find furniture that accents the marble fireplace surround. maybe paint walls an soft light gray. lots of possibilities depends on your tastes
  • PRO
    Tidewater Pro Build
    10年前
    most importantly figure out what you like and want to look at for 5-10years. that's what houzz is all about
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10年前
    My druthers:1. Your dining area is fine. Just add a large piece of artwork on the wall so you have something that draws the eye from the dining chairs when not sitting there2. In the zone between living and dining - place a large rug. Leave the space bare. It adds zoning via negative space - and lets light in + allows free passage outside3. For the living room. a) Make a feature of your vases - they will only work well grouped together(so if you turn your sofas around - maybe add a sofa table and place these under) or group them around the fireplaceb) you need a large rug to anchor the sofas enough to cover the living zonec) You need large artwork on the walls to balance out the TVthink that is my starting point1.
    Boiler Residence · 詳細
    Contemporary Entry · 詳細
    A Designer's Home · 詳細
  • Angel 18432
    10年前
    The vases seem quite lovely to me - but that's just me. A couple of suggestions.
    Could you try putting the large picture that is over the fireplace on the dining room wall.
    Try putting all the vases in a grouping behind the sofa, so you have something pretty to look at instead of the back of the sofa. groupings should be in odd numbers - looks like you have 5. Your pictures over the sofa are hung too high. Could you drop them a bit.
  • PRO
    AZ Draperies and Pillows
    10年前
    Change the picture from the fireplace to the dining room. Maybe bring the smaller on to the living room. The vases are beautiful, group them together. If possible add stationary draperies to the windows. One panel or a valance.
  • sarainitaly
    10年前
    I was going to say same thing as LeeLee. You definitely have the space for that, I would take advantage of it.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10年前
    art, larger console, larger area rug, plants, and a lamp.
  • keenplanner
    10年前
    First, bigger rug to unify space. An authentic oriental adds time and depth to a room, and they're remarkably durable. Newer fake "orientals" always look fake. Ck. on e-bay for something about 8 X 10 (as far as I can tell from the photos).
    Move the dining table to the space in front of the glass doors. Build book cases in the current dining area and make a little study, and consider adding a love seat and a chair, and moving the TV there, getting it out of the LR. If you need a bigger dining table, get a big rectangular dining/worktable/desk and run it through both spaces, parallel to the glass doors.
  • partim
    10年前
    Your rooms are beautiful. I love the floor color. Lots of potential.

As Leelee suggested, I would swap the sofa and the TV. (You may need a longer data cable.) I like the picture above your fireplace, but would suggest that you hang it over the sofa. You'll need a rectangular coffee table, and a bigger rug.

I like the vases. I see that you have a step down between the dining room and living room, so you may not have room for a table behind the love seat. How about a table in front of the window to the right of the fireplace? Vases could go on the table and below it, as show above by ASVInteriors. I'd remove throw pillows and the small decorative items/candles you have on the mantle and on the insert.

You do need something on the dining room wall that is now empty, and I see that you have a buffet facing the sliding glass doors. Could you move it to that wall? Remove the photos on it, and put a good size picture above it, or maybe just use the mirror that is now above it. You could move the dining table closer to the living room . That would leave you with a more natural wider pathway where the bureau is now.