Houzz Logo Print
coleen_hartness

I have 2 large wall cut outs, I don't know how to decorate them!

Just bought this house. And in the family room there are 2 of these cutouts just off the ceiling. So very hard to get to and they are 6 feet long and 3 feet high. Real dust collectors. I don't want to put artificial plants in them. Any ideas? Oh they do have lighting along the front. I thought maybe large stain glass pieces hanging in the center. But, that would be very expensive. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

コメント (10)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    10年前
    take down the oak shelf... hang a large art piece below, and leave it bare. please change out that ceiling fan...:) even dry wall it over, drag the electrical down and put up a picture light.
    Coleen Hartnessさんはflair lightingさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Erica at Build
    10年前
    Hi Coleen,

Since there is lighting, you could simply paint them a contrasting color and add a simple piece of decor. Or if you like the stained glass idea, you could buy new like the ones on this list that would fit your space or you can go to local antique shops and find old stained glass windows.

http://www.build.com/favorites/stained-glass-art-2521?source=fav_hzz_stained-glass
    Coleen HartnessさんはErica at Buildさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Acurio Latticework's
    10年前
    Have you considered using Lattice? We have helped many different interior designers with their projects. You could choose a pattern that is your own style. The panels are light weight and paintable so it would be easier to clean or move as needed. and it would be cheaper than large stain glass. www.acuriolattice.com or call us 1-800-218-0415 just look at some of the photos of the different things people have done with our Lattice.
    Coleen HartnessさんはAcurio Latticework'sさんにお礼を言いました
  • sierrabb
    10年前
    We had a funky little niche up high in our kitchen. It screamed 80's. For next to nothing, we had it sheet rocked over and textured. Well worth it.
    Coleen Hartnessさんはsierrabbさんにお礼を言いました
  • sally78
    10年前
    Paint the wooden ledge thing the color of the wall. Put nothing in the niche. There is no good way to decorate such a thing. Pretend it doesn't exist. Add pictures to your wall as flair lighting suggests.

We have painted ceiling fans--both the metal part and the blades. Get new light for the fan and make it darker. Another good idea from flair lighting! I can't tell from the photo, but I also thing the fan should be hung lower. Very easy to do. Just get a longer pole from a lighting store.

Happy Deocrating!
    Coleen Hartnessさんはsally78さんにお礼を言いました
  • Coleen Hartness
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Oh! You cant tell by the picture. It's also over a staircase making it even harder to get to. Yes! I definitely want a different ceiling fan with light. I don't like the white either. What contrasting color would anyone suggest?
  • PRO
    Acurio Latticework's
    10年前
    Hello Coleen, We can make a very nice, attractive panel to cover that space and fit perfectly. Also, if you can email us at acuiro we'll respond with other suggestions or give us a call.
    Thank you,
    Marc
    706-678-2387
  • PRO
    Jolana Knupp Interior Design
    10年前
    Have you considered drywalling in? The arched shape makes no sense right under your straight ceiling lines. I would drywall to get a cleaner look.
  • suzanne_m
    10年前
    I agree with Jolana and at the same time, I would paint the 2 vents the same color as the wall.