Houzz Logo Print
aut123

Shower drain opposite shower head!

aut123
10年前
My contractor installed our shower base with the drain opposite the shower head. Reason was to avoid adding new vent lines if drain was placed under shower. In my opinion he should have re-done his framing and had plumbers come back as he originally framed shower to have water valve away from insulated exterior wall in basement. I am uneasy about the way it looks - is it as bad as i think it is? He said once everything is together it wont look so bad. Please share your thoughts

コメント (25)

• PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    10年前
    Always thought that made more sense. Especially when cleaning.
  • lefty47
    10年前
    HI -- Looks backward to me . Where are you going to be standing when you have a shower . If you are going to be stepping back onto the drain all the time then that is not going to work .
  • dclostboy
    10年前
    Should work fine, just looks different
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10年前
    We have the same problem in our home and its just fine :) Our home was built in the 40s :)
  • Erick
    10年前
    It will work perfectly. We are all just used to one way when it comes to stuff like that, I actually think it looks pretty good!
  • PRO
    Hoebeke Builders, Inc.
    10年前
    I'm concerned about balance. The slope of the pan will cause you to constantly be on your heels which seem pretty unnatural to me. Before you go much further I believe a "test-drive" is in order. Barefoot how does it feel to be on your heels, especially with a head full of shampoo?
  • aut123
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I hope it wont look shotty once it is complete. But nothing i can do at this point - I'm sure contractor won't make this mistake again when advising shower head location - ie locate so drain not more than 5 ft from vent. Thank you all for your comments.
  • aut123
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Should I be worried about the more shallow side of the base being located under the shower head? Now I'm getting paranoid that it will overflow and flood before water has chance to go down to drain

Contractor said he could reverse the pan for $$ of course but i am concerned that to remove the glued pan it may break!! It is acrylic - advice???
  • midmodfan
    10年前
    We have the same configuration in one of our baths and it is not a problem at all.
  • PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    10年前
    It wont be a problem the pitch over 5' is only 5/8" to a 1"
  • PRO
    Heinrichs Custom Tile and Stone
    10年前
    no need to worry about overflow or proper drainage. it depends on if you like looking at it and it feels comfortable when standing in it. why cant he move the valve to the other wall? would be easier than moving the pan and vent. its not like it would freeze on an exterior basement wall.
  • grobby
    10年前
    Think it looks fine. As long as it drains properly.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    8年前

Aut123: There is nothing wrong with the location of your drain. (I'm a licensed general contractor fwiw) Pans with drains at the end were created as an easy replacement for a bathtub, so the drain wouldn't need to be moved. The slope is the same at either end so there is no issue with drainage. (It could also be in the center)

We've also done this when we've dealt with showers or tubs over post-tension slabs, as we can't move the drains then). Bear in mind you may be walking over the drain when you enter or exit.

Unrelated to that though, there should be solid blocking (framing) around the perimeter of your shower pan, and the pan should have an integrated lip for the waterproofing around the shower walls to work correctly. With shower pans like this the lip is typically comes with the pan/tub as a kit and added wherever it abuts a wall. This is a critical part of waterproofing the shower correctly.

- Steve

• starzmasta
    7年前

The only issue I see is that it prevents you from getting a shower base with seating. The configuration just doesn't work.

• Last Unicorn
    3年前

@acm there is ppl like me who could benefit from additional information (which the OP did not need) No need to police the thread

• acm
    3年前

if you want the information, you can do a search and find it. people who contribute here regularly get very frustrated when new/current discussions get buried by people resurrecting ancient threads with new "advice". the original poster doesn't need to get emails about their question *six* years after asking it!!

• Last Unicorn
    3年前

no but the guy who is researching the topic does ...that was my point

• Tyson Teal
    3年前

That's why it's called a thread to provide info for anyone to search.
    like me! Who was wondering the same thing. I resurrected it!!

• deejayn73
    2年前

I just googled the ‘position of shower waste’ and this thread has helped me decide that I need to ask our plumber to turn the tray around. It’s helpful however old the question.

• Len Puccini
    昨年

I found this thread VERY useful. No need for the Thread Police LOL. I love it when someone finds something that would say or do different then they get on others for not doing, saying, acting or in this case replying and posting as they see fit. Good old Human race. Have a good day acm.

• PRO
    HandyAndy Home Renovations and All Repairs
    11か月前

Theres nothing wrong with this set up aside from the client and contractor talking it out in advance This was a totally new install We prefer to make our own shower pans on our bath remodels

• HouzzUser-415582559
    10か月前

I COMPLETELY learned a boatload from this thread. In the midst of a reno and debating the drain location. Don't really care that it was from years ago...still relevant. Just saying.

• Marie K
    10か月前

Appreciate this old thread as we ponder new rectangular drain location opposite shower head in a 46" wide shower, to avoid a bunch of added work to move from center drain to under shower head, thanks all. Going with drain opposite shower head, with beautiful custom mosaic uninterrupted by center drain, and old pipes under shower-head can stay as they are.

• Andrew Hightower
    5か月前

Time for the monthly resurrection. Gotta love the info on this thread!