Houzz Logo Print
bseidenstickerevans

Ideas to improve the curb appeal of this house?

I think painting it all one color would help. Any suggestions?

コメント (12)

• Emily Evans
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    I think a medium/dark shade of grey would look awesome!

For reference:
    Arlington Residence · 詳細
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10年前
    A lot of people in my community love to put a pair Adirondack chairs in their front yard, and it is very inviting! Here is an option you could consider:

http://deciture.com/shop/outdoor/3/coral-coast-white-adirondack-chair/

http://deciture.com/shop/outdoor/3/big-daddy-reclining-adirondack-chair-pull-out-otto/
  • bseidenstickerevans
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I am not offended at all...I agree with you! Any suggestions of paint colors?
  • PRO
    Echo Etching
    10年前
    Large stone planters to the right and left of the driveway!
  • Michelle
    10年前
    I think a dark gray would look nice. Here is a picture of a house down the street from me that I just love. They painted the brick a very dark gray and the trim a bright white. Its beautiful!
  • Emily Evans
    10年前
    I agree with the planter idea. Landscaping and paint would make it look very home-y and inviting.
  • PRO
    HERE Design and Architecture
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    I have to disagree with earlier posts, both because painting brick can (but does not always) cause structural damage to the brick, and also because what you have here is actually a nice modern house that uses the differentiation in its materials to give it delicacy. Painting it all one color will turn it into a massive box.

What isn't working currently, I think, is the white paint, especially in among the woods. It creates too much contrast, which is jarring. Personally, I would paint the siding a more medium value color, and the window frames and exposed framing members something darker still. Keeping it a little earthy (like the surrounding landscape) will give it more subtlety.
  • jjesmom
    10年前
    Maybe just a darker paint on the siding. Something to compliment the red brick, like a dark tan or brown or even grey color and then definitely some planters or colorful flower accents. You have a lovely home with a great yard!!
  • bseidenstickerevans
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    You are all helping me expand my visions for this home! thank you! It would defintely be easier and more cost efficient to just paint the siding. I don't want it to look too boxy!
  • PRO
    Creative Garden Spaces
    10年前
    Also...redirecting the entry walk would be great for adding curb appeal and to bring proportions back in line with the scale of the house and property. Pull the walkway away from the front of the house, leaving a planting space and widen the walk to at least 6'. You could offset the walk so it is not a straight line along the front of the house.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10年前
    I agree, paint would help, as would landscaping. Your facade is a bit quirky, in that your home, from these angles is both tall and wide. I believe the color suggestions will help bring the height down, as would landscaping, ala the pic above. I would suggest winding the entry steps out and over the knob where you have a planting bed now. Put some 6-10 ft. high laurels or dwarf cypress trees in groupings between and/or to the sides of windows, next to the house. The alternative to relocating the path in total, would be to saw cut the existing path, to create a planting bed for the landscaping and trees, and then using a stone surface, such as bluestone or sandstone create an asymmetrical path about 2-3' out from the face of the brick, which is wider at the mouth by the drive, and skinnier as you are walking toward the house. CGS ideas, with the landscape uplights would be dynamite for adding some nighttime drama and interest.