Houzz Logo Print
emmmariee

Need help for choosing paint for kitchen

emmmariee
10年前
最終更新:10年前
Hi. I need help choosing a paint color for my kitchen. The cabinets are maple and the counters and backsplash is Baltic Brown (I believe) granite. The kitchen is open and attached to living room. We spend a lot of our time in this room especially since it's attached to living room. I will post a picture of the kitchen and living room color. I also am thinking of putting knobs on the cabinets so if anyone has any recommendations I really appreciate it. Anyways, same color or different color? Thank you. I will attach more photos in comment.

コメント (52)

• User
    10年前
    I looked at images of Baltic Brown granite and most of them looked "warm". Is that an accurate description of your color? :)
    emmmarieeさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • emmmariee
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Yes, I guess warm is accurate! :)
  • User
    10年前
    I would paint the kitchen and the living room the same color. Can you
    post some pictures of your living room?
  • emmmariee
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Of course.
  • User
    10年前
    I would use brushed nickel knobs on the kitchen cabinets. Your microwave and toaster oven are stainless steel, so I'm assuming your refridgerator and stove are too. A warm gray or warm blue paint should look great in both rooms. I'm looking at the blue in your painting above the sofa. It has very pretty shades of blue in it. I would not go that dark.
    emmmarieeさんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Mosaik Design & Remodeling
    10年前
    What about a celery green for the kitchen? As I recall, Baltic Brown has a pretty, soft green it it. I thinks it would work well with the paint in your living room and the maple cabinets. i would do a brushed nickel on the hardware.
    emmmarieeさんはMosaik Design & Remodelingさんにお礼を言いました
  • careclare
    10年前
    Baltic Brown has no green...lots of black with ovals of soft orangey browns (copper-ish) in mine. The cabinet color is a nice complement to the granite, softens the cold, dark granite. Personally, I would like to see black or bronze hardware on the cabinets to tie the dark of counter tops to the softer-colored cabinets. The photo of the living area around the TV appears to be a soft warm brown ...butterscotch? That would seem like a good color...just brown enough to distinguish itself from the cabinet color.If you want to be bold, go with an apricot. LOVE the roman shade fabric suggested by indianpatti! Has lovely pattern while carrying the warm brown. But since I love blinds, the fabric could be used to soften the window area as a valance or cafe curtain with wrought iron rod. The only "grey" I would consider would be a "putty", but not for the living room. Dark leather sofas can give off a cold look, so no greys there. I think a medium color like the butterscotch would complement the dark of the sofas. PS Find cabinet space for the small appliances to live, and a rug for the living area will "warm'' up that space. More opportunity for some color and softening of the space there too!
    emmmarieeさんはcareclareさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Sheri Kaz Designs
    10年前
    Try Gray Owl by Benjamin Moore. The green undertones bring out the richness of the cabinets while providing contrast. The gray will pick up tones in your granite and it will be light, soft and fresh.
    emmmarieeさんはSheri Kaz Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • smaroulis
    10年前
    I love the color you have. I would go with indianpatti's review. Nickel knobs on drawers, handles on doors.
    emmmarieeさんはsmaroulisさんにお礼を言いました
  • Veronica Boritz
    10年前
    I love color, so I would recommend adding more color. I chose a cinnamon/peach for my kitchen. Here's my kitchen, though it wasn't finished when the picture was taken
    emmmarieeさんはVeronica Boritzさんにお礼を言いました
  • Paulette Pinheiro
    10年前
    Hi! See if you like blue or green.
    emmmarieeさんはPaulette Pinheiroさんにお礼を言いました
  • tutiq
    10年前
    Perhaps Greige (tanish gray) would be a soft and pretty paint color for the kitchen and the living room. It would go with both the cabinets and the counters. Then you could bring color into the kitchen with soft aqua and teal accents like towels and ceramics to pull the colors from the living room painting into the kitchen. Aqua, greige, and teal pillows in pretty designs on the sofa would bring it all together.
    emmmarieeさんはtutiqさんにお礼を言いました
  • crumpred
    10年前
    I'd go with something on the left side of this sheet.
    http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/duron/duron_colors_35.htm
    Mushroom Basket is a nice start, you could go as deep as Moose Point.
    emmmarieeさんはcrumpredさんにお礼を言いました
  • drcheriecarrera
    10年前
    I don't know how you feel about strong color but orange is a 'new' color...I have my office done in orange and it's a warm and inviting place to work.
    emmmarieeさんはdrcheriecarreraさんにお礼を言いました
  • lindasdream2013
    10年前
    Definitely agree with indianpatti - her choice of shade and wall color are spot on with your space!
  • soozmacrae
    10年前
    Its a bit all too many shades of brown. I would go for green.
  • Paulette Williams
    10年前
    You asked what color to paint the cabinets... I am assuming you have already painted the walls and like the color. Just for the record I love your wall color too ! I would choose a much lighter version of what you have on the walls. My thought would be something like Sherwin Williams Happy Valley or Philadelphia Cream but you would have to get the paint chips to check and find the correct one for your lighting. Incandescent lighting makes photos appear a different color than they actually are. Here is a link to some paint colors including the ones I mentioned http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-gallery#&ce_vm=0&ce_x=9&ce_y=5
    emmmarieeさんはPaulette Williamsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Paulette Williams
    10年前
    I was thinking something similar to this :
  • Paulette Williams
    10年前
    If you like the look, these cabinets have an antique finish on the paint. I like the black knobs as well. Even if you have stainless steel appliances they will go well because of the black touches on the appliances.
  • ljfq
    10年前
    I would match the lightest neutral in the granite and then something just a few shades darker for contrast. Use those two colors for cabinets and walls and then add punches of a bold accent color with restrained accessories.
    emmmarieeさんはljfqさんにお礼を言いました
  • Paulette Williams
    10年前
    It looks like your molding is a lighter color than the walls.... if that's the case I think I would use that same color... good luck on your makeover
  • Candace Bordelon
    10年前
    You really need some color in both rooms. Everything is warm, so you really can't go to gray as others have said--there will be serious clashes! What about some pops of deep red or burnt orange? Pillows, throws on the couch and chairs and some brighter artwork above the couch? Everything is really "heavy" looking and feeling. Then you could repeat that color in the kitchen. I don't think the brushed nickle hardware would look right on that maple wood. I think oiled bronze hardware would look very nice. I would recommend looking at Maria Killam's website and her concept of warm/cool and dirty/clean colors. http://www.mariakillam.com/
    emmmarieeさんはCandace Bordelonさんにお礼を言いました
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10年前
    Indianpatti's fabric print and colors are terrific. Should be easy to carry that over into your living room as well. I think I'd use some copper hardware on your cabinetry though. You've got a lot of those cabinets...have you considered breaking some of that line visually with a few glass fronts? The maple is lovely. Please don't paint cabinets as some posters are thinking that's what you are asking about.
    emmmarieeさんはauntiebuzzybeeさんにお礼を言いました
  • Paulette Williams
    10年前
    You are right Candace. I was thinking pops of deep brick red with that color would be nice too..... a valance with the reds and golds would be nice. The warm colors lend themselves very well to French Country or Tuscan themed fabrics.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10年前
    When you repaint, scuff up, prime and repaint your air vents that are above your cabinets. You can buy a kit thingy (about $10) that turns your chosen paint color into spray paint for smoother application. That way the vents in the soffits will seem to disappear.
    emmmarieeさんはauntiebuzzybeeさんにお礼を言いました
  • quiltygirl59
    10年前
    You might also like to look at Rocky Road by Benjamin Moore, subtle greys with muted taupe tones.
    emmmarieeさんはquiltygirl59さんにお礼を言いました
  • timone25
    10年前
    Love your kitchen... A burned orange color would be warm And pick up the softness and warmth in your cabinets.
    emmmarieeさんはtimone25さんにお礼を言いました
  • Natalie Ziegler
    10年前
    I would paint it a nice warm white to brighten it up-- one that works well with the living room color, and I love the idea of a nice Roman shade- maybe you could find one that has a little of the living room color in it.
    emmmarieeさんはNatalie Zieglerさんにお礼を言いました
  • grandmanet
    10年前
    I like the idea of warm white / cream walls to lighten up the kitchen. Add a pop of color by using a red or orange valance on on the window. Get cream and/or red pillows for the living room. Use bronze colored knobs; brushed nickel will match the appliances but not look good on the cabinets themselves.
    emmmarieeさんはgrandmanetさんにお礼を言いました
  • josara
    10年前
    I currently have the same theme going in the kitchen of my former home which I'm renting, different wood (light oak with a warm yellow on the walls). I'm not happy with it and haven't been since I put up those cabinets. I was thinking of either a soft sage green or a warm off-white.
    emmmarieeさんはjosaraさんにお礼を言いました
  • emmmariee
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks everyone! So many options. I actually cannot change the cabinet colors so I am just changing the walls. I also cannot add pillows or rugs due to animals so I have to unfortunately have to give up all hope on adding pillows, but thanks for the ideas. Again, thank you I will review my options and hopefully choose wisely! :)
  • Paulette Pinheiro
    10年前
    Let us know what was your decision: post some after pictures! Regards.
  • essen12
    10年前
    What a nice kitchen. Lucky you! If you are only painting the walls, I would try a cream. It would give it a fresh and clean feel.
    emmmarieeさんはessen12さんにお礼を言いました
  • essen12
    10年前
    I really love the cabinet color an would not paint it.
  • jferry3606
    10年前
    Emmmarie, I think you are looking for a way to love your kitchen and feel painting will make difference. Try one thing first, take EVERTHING that you are not using at this moment off of your counters and put it away. Your paint color is actually quite nice and a tailored window treatment with a bit of color as Indianpatti suggested would make a statement.
  • emmmariee
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Don't worry....After a water leak and not wanting to put everything away after washing it...that stuff is usually not on the counter. A family member asked if I wanted the kitchen a different color because of this leak. But I didn't feel the need to tell anyone that. This kitchen is very lived in and is used ALL the time so I just have to compromise having a picture perfect kitchen for a kitchen that will have items on counters. :)
  • Sam Hill
    10年前
    Use white :) it's always bright, but good(/bad) for showing up dirt.
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    10年前
    I suggest painting the walls a brown deeper than the cabinetry - close to the shade of the granite. Use a paint with a unique finish like Ralph Lauren's suede. It adds interest and texture. The cabinets are good looking. Simple contemporary brushed nickel handles would upgrade their overall look. Removing counter top clutter would make a HUGE difference! Attached are before and after photos where I used a dark gray suede finish.
  • User
    10年前
    josara, post your own Dilemma with pictures and what you would like to do so that you will get advise for your own situation! :)
  • curllee
    10年前
    Hardware on the cabinet doors and drawers will add much to your kitchen. Go dark metallic with the hardware to go with the dark earthiness of the counter. Knobs on the doors, handles on the drawers. Do this first then you might have a whole different perspective on the wall color. Without seeing the floor, I can't really suggest a different wall color yet.
    emmmarieeさんはcurlleeさんにお礼を言いました
  • emmmariee
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    @Curllee
  • iamatexan
    10年前
    I have the same combo and just painted my kitchen and eating area China Doll (beige with almost no yellow) from SW. Love it. It helps absorb some of the yellow from the cabinets and is restful and peaceful, painted the woodwork white. (Sorry no pic today; plumbing leak and all fromunder the sink on the cabinet top.) Good luck with whatever you choose.
    emmmarieeさんはiamatexanさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Article
    10年前
    If it were me I would paint the kitchen walls a rich, dark color. Hard to say exactly because color gets skewed on computers (I find), my advice would be to pull from the existing colors that are found within the space, whether it be from fabrics or artwork... just a thought.

Happy Decorating!
    emmmarieeさんはArticleさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10年前
    Go with burnt orange !
  • PRO
    Backyard Masters
    10年前
    I have been loving the way terracottas look in a kitchen. Makes the room have a really homey warm feeling which is important for even contemporary kitchens.
    emmmarieeさんはBackyard Mastersさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Backyard Masters
    10年前
    Love this color
  • Paulette Williams
    10年前
    You might consider how color affects your mood and what kind of mood you would like to create in your areas. This might help http://vividpaintingllc.com/interior-paint-color-can-affect-mood/
  • Paulette Williams
    10年前
    This link is a bit more descriptive as far as hoe color can affect a mood http://thedailyquirk.com/2012/06/13/how-the-color-of-your-walls-affects-your-mood/

One thing you should absolutely do is go to your paint dealer and pick up chips for colors you are attracted to... then bring them home and watch them throughout the day in different lights....
  • PRO
    Robin Lechner Designs
    10年前
    Great points Paulette! Terra cotta and almost all warm reds work particularly well in kitchens, dining rooms, libraries, entry halls. The only room I'd avoid using it is in the bedroom - too stimulating.
    emmmarieeさんはRobin Lechner Designsさんにお礼を言いました