Houzz Logo Print
wjdunbar

Need ideas to improve front entrance!

wjdunbar
10年前
I'm having a new home built and the foundation is in. I was told my front entrance would look similar to the one in the pic. Builder is willing to work with me to improve the look & design. I'm looking for ideas to make the entrance design more prettier (catch people's eyes), without a change to th foundation/footer, and not cost alot of money. Any ideas? In the pic, the door is 2 1/2 feet inside the arch. Thank you!

コメント (25)

• Claudianne Young
    10年前
    Do you have access to the window at the top of the entry? A Juliette balcony would be pretty outside of it. Then you could put pretty potted flowers on it. I would be looking for a couple of beautiful planters for either side of the door. Beautiful home.
  • Kels D
    10年前
    Put a light post on each column, like the picture I attached below. (But prettier and smaller ones)
  • Barb Cona
    10年前
    Love the idea of the balcony if possible. The pillar lights are also a good suggestion but make sure the scale is right. Most people buy lights that are way too small for the home. If you drive around the area neighborhoods and take notice of the exterior lighting you'll find little thought seems to go into lighting choices. I'd like to see the sidelights painted the same as the home's trim and the front door something that will pop. Nothing light but a deep, rich shade. Planters will tie it all together.
  • gypsyrose17
    10年前
    Perhaps some larger brick work on the entry like in the photo provided by kdemjr
  • vanessrose
    10年前
    wrought iron fancy door
  • bungalowmo
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    If YOU are having the home built...why are THEY telling you what your entrance will look like?? It's your money...you tell them what you want.

To me...nothing says "Welcome" like a covered porch. Otherwise, guests could be standing on a stoop in the rain one day. jmo
  • PRO
    Period Millworks The Woodwright Shop
    10年前
    I would do a double set of doors instead of a single with side lights, and I would make them 8' tall!
    This style would look great.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10年前
    I guess I don't understand why you didn't choose the design and entry style you wanted on your house?? Is it in a development where all the houses are similar?
  • Sigrid
    10年前
    I agree that the door is a little dwarfed. I'd be tempted to put trellises on either side of the door and put a climbers. You want an elegant, wrought iron trellis, not a cheap one.
  • robh572
    10年前
    Balcony above door and big solid double doors with wrought iron hinges and handles. Perfect...
  • rinked
    10年前
    Balcony and more glass in the (higher) entry door and sidelights (or double doors). The picture reminds me of old school buildings.
  • vanessrose
    10年前
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc. can you help me with my windows? please.
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10年前
    vanessrose......tell us about your windows..........
  • vanessrose
    10年前
    I am going for a French look but think I lost it along the way adding 4 picture windows to our home. I can change. I guess my question is should I do casement windows on the bottom?
  • qam999
    10年前
    Another opportunity I see is the windows...they are so very plain, with just a thin line of matching bricks and hardly any definition at all. The lack of detail is what is giving the look of a school or other institution. I would suggest more trim on the windows, such as stone, coordinated with stone trim on entry portal. This is not an easy slap-on fix: you'll need an architect to design the embellishments we're talking about.
  • wjdunbar
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    thank you all for the comments. No I do not have access to th window so a balcony would nt work. :-)
  • PRO
    Ruebl Builders LLC
    10年前
    The double doors will make it look more inviting but the landscaping probably will help so get a good landscape architect to help with your issues.
  • wjdunbar
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    in regard to comments by bungalomo, we agreed to the entry on the blueprint. When we saw a house with a similar design of what ours will look like, we told the builder we're thinking of doing something with the entry / arch design. The lot was then outlined and dug up before we were informed. We reminded the builder of our desire to change the entry. Then the footer ad foundation was set. Now we're told that it will cost alot more if we want to do an extended arch (5 feet away from house) since they will have to break a part of the new concrete/ foundation to support this extended arch. So that's what we're struggling with...improving the entry / arch without spending alot more money. Thank you for your comments.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10年前
    Under the second story window, add a wrought iron “balcony”, and kdemjr’s lights. Another thought is not to use the same red brick inside the arch…go with a lighter stone and then use that lighter color for your window trim.
    Historic Transformation · 詳細

Or use the color of the wrought iron for your trim.
    Photos - Balconies & Railings · 詳細
  • wjdunbar
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thank you. I like that idea. Using a lighter color brick or even lighter color stones.
  • PRO
    Medinger Design Studio
    10年前
    By reducing the brick a little it will provide more interest. Between the top of the door and the bottom of the window you could remove the brick. If could add a wood type element across the space to replicate beams or structure. This would tie the upper window and door together to make it look like a more grand entry element.

On the vertical piers you may also investigate removing some brick. You could enhance these piers by adding different colored stone elements into the centers. Maybe even a recessed niche on each one that can house a planter or flower pots. A nice sconce would look nice too as mentioned above. The sconce could be set onto a larger piece of stonework that accents the brick around it.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10年前
    Here is a brick stone combo idea. As LDA suggests, correct the door window proportions. Happy Houzzing.
  • User
    10年前
    You definitely need to get some beautiful lights for either side of the door. I used Lantern & Scroll (find them on here or Facebook) and they were so great to work with. Their prices are awesome! I just emailed them a pic of my house, and they did the rest. Good Luck! I like this one for the door.