Houzz Logo Print
bec5656

Need opinion on rug and coffee table suggestions

bec5656
10年前
Hi
We recently ripped out carpet and refinished the wood floors underneath. They are parquet which I wouldn't have chosen but I thought they turned out ok. I know this rug is too small, it was the only size so we brought it home to see if we want to order a larger one. Does it look ok? Or other suggestions? Also looking for coffee table suggestions, we had some ugly wrought iron and glass ones which we don't want to put back.

コメント (34)

• dclostboy
    10年前
    Move the rug out from under the couch and move the chairs off the rug...let it float on its own and open up the area. Depending on your style, a traditional coffee table in walnut would look good with the floors, or a lucite waterfall coffee table might be fun.
    bec5656さんはdclostboyさんにお礼を言いました
  • dclostboy
    10年前
    I'd like to see a mirror over the mantel to reflect and move the light around the room
  • bec5656
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks, yes ideas for over mantle appreciated too!
    So what is the general "rule" about rug placement. I keep reading to place under legs of sofa and chairs rather than float. The one is 5 x 7 I think and we would get 8 x10
  • PRO
    Dana Pope Designs
    10年前
    I think your floors look really nice. I would prefer all the furniture to be completely on the rug. A rug that is just a little wider than the sofa would work nicely. I also think the rug pattern fights with the chairs, sorry. Maybe a sold rug but with some texture? I think a round or oval coffee table would be nice.
    bec5656さんはDana Pope Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    J. S. Brown Design
    10年前
    The rug size looks fine, I like more of the wood showing since you went to all that work to expose it. Some people go so wrong with coffee tables, I always like something unusual not expected, I am in love with a solid walnut slab almost free form and not to large, Good luck!
    bec5656さんはJ. S. Brown Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • bec5656
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Yes I worried the pattern on the rug and chairs would clash...so a solid color rug better?
    Also I thought about turning the sofa to face the fireplace, but would it look weird to have chairs with backs to fireplace?
  • PRO
    Whitewoven Textile Arts & Studio
    10年前
    The floor is beautiful. I would also suggest moving the furniture off the rug to open the space. If you do go for a larger rug, I would suggest it come all the way to the stairs, if traffic uses the stairs. You don't want to step down onto the edge of a rug. Your rug could also bring in some other color/s to liven up the space, if you wanted.
  • abbyjean
    10年前
    Could you try turning the couch and putting the chairs on either side of the fireplace and then we could go from there?
  • renovation_inspiration
    10年前
    I think the 8 x 10 rug would look great. Your floors look beautiful and that size wouldn't cover it up too much more. I agree with the walnut coffee table- I think it would highlight the floors- and definitely a mirror above the fireplace to 'light up' the room!
    bec5656さんはrenovation_inspirationさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Not loving the rug…

Try putting the chairs side by side, facing the fireplace. See how the arrangement looks. If you like that, your rug size and shape may change and an upholstered piece for a coffee table may work better for your space….leave the side with the stairs open.
    Domicile id · 詳細

I do not think you have room to the right of your fireplace for a chair.
    bec5656さんはJudyG Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • Lidia
    10年前
    Abbey jean has the right idea! Two very small tables for next to the chairs that flank the fireplace. Place the tables on the outside of the chairs (furthest from the fireplace). Then place the rug which is beautiful but perhaps too small, in front of the fire placed. Get two low occasional tables, instead of one large coffee table. Depending on your style, you might have them be table/stools so you can multipurpose. The floor looks pretty and love the stairs up to the adjoining room. Pretty room!
    bec5656さんはLidiaさんにお礼を言いました
  • bec5656
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Two other placements.
  • dclostboy
    10年前
    Wow...with the couch facing the fireplace the room looks so much larger
  • abbyjean
    10年前
    Thank you for moving things around! I like the chairs by the fireplace and I love being able to see your dining area, as I was not sure if that was a foyer maybe.

Pull the chairs in a little tighter and bring the couch up just a titch.
  • leelee
    10年前
    No, the rug is too close in pattern to the pattern on the chairs. Everything is exactly the same color. Add a rug that's less pattern and a different color. I like Dana's idea for a coffee table. Pick up the terra cotta in your chairs and use that for a rug.
    bec5656さんはleeleeさんにお礼を言いました
  • leelee
    10年前
    Your new arrangement is on the right track but you need to scoot the chairs back nearer the FP and move the sofa forward toward the FP. You could also put a console table behind the sofa and add a lamp on it.
  • bec5656
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    If we end up with sofa facing fireplace would it need a table behind? If it is that way, you walk in the front door and to the left is the back of the sofa.
    I also like the terra cotta idea for the rug, I just haven't seen one that wasn't too busy.
    I really appreciate the help!
  • leelee
    10年前
    Another rug idea. Concentrate on your mantel and a painting for over the mantel.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10年前
    Still working with my thought, move the two chairs closer together, facing the fireplace. Move the rug so that it centers on the fireplace.

Then, find matching end tables/lamps for either side of the fireplace. You need lamps.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10年前
    The rug is lovely but I also feel it fights with the chairs. I do think you need to go up to an 8x10 size. Your floors are lovely, you must be so pleased how well they turned out. I think a starburst mirror would look great over your mantle. I would go with a round or oval coffee table. For furniture arrangement I like to move things around and take pictures. For some reason that blocks out distractions and helps me pick the best arrangement. I like the idea of chairs flanking the fireplace but there may not be enough room.
  • abbyjean
    10年前
    Starburst mirror on the mantle totally has my vote in this room!
  • abbyjean
    10年前
    Would you mind standing at the fireplace and taking a pic of the couch and the foyer area? That will maybe help with the question about a sofa table being needed.
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10年前
    Love the new arrangement with the couch facing the fireplace. Great idea about rug color too. I feel a sofa table would be nicer. It would give you a place to put keys and not have you look right at the back of a sofa.
  • bec5656
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    The view from fireplace , that's our front door
  • abbyjean
    10年前
    Thanks! So it looks like there is room to walk in around the couch. That is good, too.

I was also wondering if the entry was at the same level as the living area, and see you step down to get to this area by the door, too. Because of that, I just do not think a sofa table is needed the same way as if it was all one level there. A throw draped over the back will soften the look and add some color to the space.

BUT do you NEED lamps in this room? If you do, a sofa table would be the only place by the sofa with it facing the couch. There would be room by the chairs, as one already has a floor lamp.....unless a floor lamp was used on the wall side of the couch.

I also liked seeing that this rug is wider than the couch.....I could not tell that in the other pics. That is another good thing.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10年前
    As others have mentioned, the rug clashes with the chairs. That doesn't mean you can't have a patterned rug though. I suggest pulling out the green from the chairs. If you choose a solid rug make sure it has alot of texture. This one is jute and chenille. These are from Ballard.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10年前
    Ideas for a coffee table. The seagrass one brings in a natural element and is very original yet elegant with its ornate legs. Both from Horchow.
  • leelee
    10年前
    The way some homes are designed there are few options for arranging furniture. If your sofa back is to the door it might still be the best layout for your room.
  • armygirl1987
    10年前
    The rug is too close to the chairs. Check out West Elm they have a sale going on right now.
  • Lidia
    10年前
    Love the new arrangement! You could add a sofa table, behind the safe. Get a narrow glass top (hobby lobby) and place on two wood plant stands, cheap, easy, "floaty" in the room. Then add two buffet lamps on the sofa table, for lighting. The sofa table will also be nice for fresh flowers, and wine glasses punch bowl for holiday open houses. If you don't think you can get the lamps, try candles temporarily in their place, for ambiance and to get a "feel" for lighting there.
  • Lidia
    10年前
    Leelee's tweaking on the arrangement is spot on!
  • Bobbie P
    10年前
    Love the layout with sofa facing fireplace. A larger rug would be great. I like the table behind the sofa idea. This gives you an area to arrange interesting displays. A nice rectangular coffee table in front of the sofa, then floor to ceiling drapes.
  • PRO