Houzz Logo Print
cvfree

Odd space near hearth-any ideas?

cvfree
10年前
I have a large brick hearth with a recessed space about 4 feet from the floor. Right now I have photo albums there but it looks odd. Any ideas on what I can do with this space? I live in a 1960 ranch house.

コメント (18)

• sbscoast
    10年前
    Bookshelves?
  • PRO
    Barbara Krai Interior Design
    10年前
    Bookshelves will work, but only after you put in a false back so the shelves won't be any deeper than 9 - 12". The back will bring the things on the shelves forward so they won't get lost and they will pick up the light from the room.
    cvfreeさんはBarbara Krai Interior Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Lauryn Preller / Rep for Benjamin Moore
    10年前
    A bronze piece would go really well with the look and feel of the ranch house, too.
  • abbyjean
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Any chance you would want to share more of this room so we can see the style your furniture and accessories are? Are you Pottery Barn? Modern? That sort of thing. My first thought was tall pieces of pottery, but not sure that would work. Then I thought wood piled up there or in a basket, but not sure if it is a working fireplace or not. Or a larger piece of art with candle sticks in front of it.
    cvfreeさんはabbyjeanさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Flyone boardshop
    10年前
    Maybe a 3d epoxy coated sculpture with some spot lighting. I added one of our boards , but any cool artwork would work.
    cvfreeさんはFlyone boardshopさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10年前
    Hi.

Potential here, but a lot going on that is not working.

What is looking odd also is the little door. Do you keep wood in there?

You have to be careful if you put a sculpture in there that is doesn't overwhelm the fireplace, which is the focal point.

Right now, the art you have over the firplace is not large enough. Also, the plant is distracting.

What are the white things on the mantle? They are getting lost.

What is the little black box with a photo on it? Needs to go.
    cvfreeさんはCDR Design, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • Darzy
    10年前
    I think it would look really cool to place beautifully stacked cut logs...
    Blenheim Road · 詳細
    cvfreeさんはDarzyさんにお礼を言いました
  • mamadubbs
    10年前
    I gotta know what's behind the little door?!? If it's for wood storage, I think it would be cool to remove the door and trim and put stacked wood in there, and book shelves above as already suggested. You have an awesome fireplace!
    cvfreeさんはmamadubbsさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10年前
    mamadubbs. I agree. The whole thing is just not working and fixing only the top part will not solve things.

I like the idea of stacked logs, but I think the bottom would have to be cut out, as in Darzy's photo.
  • PRO
    Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
    10年前
    Hi cv - I'm gonna guess that the mystery door is from an outdoor opening for fire wood. I think Darzy's wood-pile idea would give some great texture - but I'd be careful of bugs in there that can ride in with the wood.

I agree that "the hole" isn't helping much. Your eye just pops right up there to see what's going on (nothing is, of course) instead of resting pleasnatly on your fireplace/mantle.

One idea is to build a full-height cabinetry element right of the fireplace, running from the hearth to the ceiling - stepped just a couple inches forward from the brick - with an open book case at the top (only 12" or so deep).

Best wishes! Mark
    cvfreeさんはSomeone's in the Kitchen, Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • cvfree
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Wow! Thanks for all the ideas! Behind the door is a big pile of stacked wood, kindling, etc. It's great to get other perspectives as we all can get stuck in a rut.
  • Lourdes Andere
    10年前
    I believe shelves would work, add 2 or 3 and you can place either books or portraits and a small plant too
    cvfreeさんはLourdes Andereさんにお礼を言いました
  • decoenthusiaste
    10年前
    Do you need a "hidey-hole?" Put a safe in the back and bookcase shelves in front.
    cvfreeさんはdecoenthusiasteさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10年前
    Unless door has second door to outside, first thing I would do is remove the door. It is a little creepy.

Please keep us posted. Would love to hear what you decide and photos.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5年前

I would think the niche would lend itself to a piece of sculpture because of its depth. A piece of 2 dimensional are mounted to the rear of the niche wall would sort of be lost in the shadows. Good luck!

cvfreeさんはNorwood Architectsさんにお礼を言いました
  • schnable1
    5年前
    Think seasonal. If your climate is cool or cold in the winter some nice plaid and solid throws neatly folded. In warmer times a vase of seasonal flowers.
    I like the bookshelves idea, providing you have a nice collecton of hardcover.
    Glass shelves with colored glass vases would be very mid-century looking. (remembering my family home).
    Whatever you decide it doesn't have to be one and done.
    cvfreeさんはschnable1さんにお礼を言いました
  • hummingalong2
    5年前
    You've been digging deep Norwood, this OP is from 2013!!