Houzz Logo Print
cabcaz

Exterior color dilemma

cabcaz
10年前
My husband is color blind so the color decision has been left to me and I'm nervous to say the least. I'm thinking a green/grey. What do you think. I'm wanting something to blend into the bush land setting rather than stand out. I'm open to suggestions

コメント (32)

• Caz Gee
    10年前
    Is that Colorbond Surfmist on the roof? Looks like your gutterings etc are the same colour. We have Colorbond Dune down pipes etc, but that might make a nice colour for your weatherboards if you are planning to paint them, or Colorbond Paperbark is a little bit darker.
    cabcazさんはCaz Geeさんにお礼を言いました
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Hi, I'm not sure what the color of the roof is but it is a light grey. We only recently purchased the home. Both the Colors you've suggested are nice, dune especially. I wish I was good at Photoshop so I could 'paint' the photo.

We are replacing the cedar with bullnose cement weatherboards. The cedar is in a very bad state of repair and we are in a high bushfire zone.

Wattyl retro avocado is the color I was thinking of using as per the photo
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks Bellesum. The blue grey looks nice but a bit too modern for me. I'm a bit of a traditional gal but thanks for the suggestion.
  • themoxie
    10年前
    I really like the colour you have chosen. It'll work with the gums behind and will also look good with an off white trim. Wattyl will have good colour choices for veranda/trim anyway. You could go darker in that same colourway too.
    cabcazさんはthemoxieさんにお礼を言いました
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I'm replacing a rear window with an aluminium sliding door and kitchen window which opens within a rear deck with a sliding aluminium window. I'm tired of hitting my head on the window when its open ! Depending on the aluminium color I can get, I'll match the paint for the timber window, spouting and verandah posts etc to the aluminium. I'm hoping for an off white, ivory or at worst primrose which is a cream colour.
  • themoxie
    10年前
    Okay, I've done a (pretty scrappy - sorry) recolour. It might be helpful, it's only an approximation of the colour.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10年前
    Yes, that is a more calming color to use.
    cabcazさんはDytectureさんにお礼を言いました
  • Caz Gee
    10年前
    That one looks like it would be a good choice. Out of curiosity, where (generally) are you located? Although cedar weatherboards are lovely, cement sheeting is a much better move for you, given the bushfire threat. Good luck with your project.
    cabcazさんはCaz Geeさんにお礼を言いました
  • bananamamma
    10年前
    We had a similar cabin.....do it dark dark brown, paint windows dark green...makes it look a bit like the Ponderosa ;)
    cabcazさんはbananamammaさんにお礼を言いました
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Oh thank you so much for going to that trouble, I'm not sure that is how I envisaged it to look, it looks a bit like treated pine. I e been up this afternoon to get a pot of paint and I'll paint the front this weekend to see what it looks like. I'll report back to you

The property is in central Victoria, Australia and yes, very bushfire prone which is one of the reasons we are replacing the cedar with the cement weatherboards.

I thought of a charcoal colour but was advised by the paint store that the house would be very hot in summer so, I've gone back to the green theme.
  • Karin Madgwick
    10年前
    Good luck cabcaz, the green will blend beautifully!
    cabcazさんはKarin Madgwickさんにお礼を言いました
  • Caz Gee
    10年前
    I think if you are replacing the wooden cedar boards with cement weatherboards it won't look as much like treated pine, as the cement boards have a different profile.
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Catz Gee I hope your right I'm not sure what other color I could use, if not a green/grey
  • themoxie
    10年前
    It will look painted, cabcaz, just can't do it on photoshop! What colour for the deck?
    [houzz=
    Street view with restored porch · 詳細
    ]
  • themoxie
    10年前
    Just as an aside. That weatherboard looks like it needs plenty of prep. Sand/waterblast, fill cracks and probably two coats of primer. Don't paint without prepping!
  • PRO
    Truorder
    10年前
    I agree. I love taupe on any house with black or dark brown accents.
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Hi Themoxie The existing cedar cladding is being removed. It's not repairable. It cracked and falling apart and because we are in a bushfire zone, it needs to go.

We are replacing with a cladding made from cement sheet with a bullnose finish. It looks like weatherboards. Very traditional and fire resistant. The product is BGC nuline.

Not sure what we are doing with the decking yet but the barge boards are going due again to bushfire regulations, probably being replaced with solid flat cement sheet finished with a render texture in a lighter complimentary tone? It's is what was suggested by the paint store, so that it almost looks like a painted stone finish. The front of the house is close to the ground as per the photo but the rear is a little more elevated, probably about 4 foot above ground level
  • bananamamma
    10年前
    Hi there, I was just driving home and thought of you. I went by a wood clad house that's pretty new or at least the wood it. They did it in a similar colour to that of themoxie photo earlier....but much darker about double that colour intensity with dark brown/natural stain brown trim.....it looks fabulous! wanted to take a photo but there was a car tailgating me!
    cabcazさんはbananamammaさんにお礼を言いました
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Bananamamma, how funny that you think of me but please don't have an accident on my behalf

I'm painting a little of the colour this weekend and will report back
  • bananamamma
    10年前
    No fear, looking forward to your pics!
  • bananamamma
    10年前
    One sec....while looking for something for our house, I came back upon a house that inspired my own decisions last year when building our house..... this still makes me drool :-)

Rustic Exterior · 詳細
  • bananamamma
    10年前
    another view of it:
    Rustic Exterior · 詳細
  • bananamamma
    10年前
    not sure how it would work in Oz......but maybe?? you might just get an idea....
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I think that works because its not one solid colour, the shingles vary from light to dark. Nice idea though. Our roof is quite a light grey too, shame it's not darker but I'm not going to the expense of changing that too !
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I've painted a couple of boards but its very hot here today in the sun !

I was initially a little disappointed but its growing on me. I'm just not loving it - yet

The third photo was the inspiration for the color. The last photo is a little more grey and I might get another sample this week and give that a go.

The windows will be either an ivory or primrose
  • themoxie
    10年前
    Love it! When it all painted, the colour 'reflects' off itself and intensifies the green. Also,
    the existing brown isn't doing it any favours.
  • themoxie
    10年前
    *it's
  • cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I agree, I think the brown is making it look more green.

I might paint some more tomorrow to an edge where there is no brown.

As the sun was setting, it did look very lovely and not as green
  • bananamamma
    9年前

finished product?

• cabcaz
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Still hasn't been painted. The place needed a lot of work inside and out as well as the land itself.

We are nearly finished inside and then will go back to the outside ( it's too hot to work outside in summer here)

We have finished putting on the cladding though.
  • libradesigneye
    9年前

Great progress - there is a class of greens that have a lot of brown, from nature, often referred to as camoflauge greens .. . if you look at a tone and not sure if it is brown or green, you are in the right range .. . grab every color around it and test them. Green is more transitional, and would allow you to do a cheerful muted blue green door and blue green outdoor chairs - a lodge sort of vibe. I only know OZ from the Thornbirds, reading about aborigine (i'm part cherokee, one of our native tribes), and a few beach house style blogs, but also live in a wildfire "bush" zone about 30 minutes from the sea in southern california . . the place has amazing windows . ..thanks for sharing your process . .