Houzz Logo Print
annikamiller

Retaining Wall Dilemma

annikamiller
10年前
We have recently finished building our house in rural Western Australia. We are on a 1 acre block 4000m2. We need to retain the front of the house pad and driveway. We do not want limestone. Any ideas. The highest point is 98cm. Would like to have stairs in the retaining wall where the front door is. A fence will be going from the left colourbond fence to the left of the first bit that juts out, to enclosure the yard. Would like rendered fence with white wood slats running horizontally. Think perhaps a tiered retaining would be best as worried 98cm is too high. Photos don't show very well but we thought maybe angle the wall so not so boring, but not sure. Fresh ideas would be wonderful. Thanks

コメント (26)

• annikamiller
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Help please!
  • PRO
    Pacific Stone Design Inc.
    10年前
    How about this type of retaining wall..
    http://www.keystonewalls.com/media/Product_PGphotos/Legacy_pic1.jpg.
    Not sure it is available in Australia ??
    annikamillerさんはPacific Stone Design Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • annikamiller
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    would you go with straight lines or curved, tiered or single?
  • annikamiller
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    the dirt along the side of the driveway needs to be retained as it is just battered atm and looks messy.
  • Darzy
    10年前
    I thought about Pacific Stone's suggestion but to me the cement blocks looks too commercial. More like an entrance to a car lot or office buildings retaining wall.
    annikamillerさんはDarzyさんにお礼を言いました
  • RosemaryR
    10年前
    I think a natural rock wall as Darzy suggested would look great, with a solid slab of granite for the steps leading up to front door, which I don't know where that is located by your photos. The rock wall would add some much needed color especially with some trailing plants over it. Maybe paint your front door an interesting color for contrast.
  • annikamiller
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    thanks Rosemary, it took me months to choose the exterior colours a very happy with the colours, just looking for retaining at this stage. Once the garden is planted the exterior colours will fall into place. The front door is in the alcove to the right of the house, near the garage door.
  • sharnz_alesha
    10年前
    I love how the house is set up
    annikamillerさんはsharnz_aleshaさんにお礼を言いました
  • RosemaryR
    10年前
    Okay, now I see it, it's a beautiful house and I love your colors. The landscaping is the frosting on the cake. If you have a nursery near you, sometimes if you being them photos, they will help you with a design plan. It might be worthwhile to get a consultation with a landscape designer to being your ideas into play with color, scale, heat, water requirements, lighting, etc. they might advise you on something you haven't even considered or know it was out there, then if you plan to plant yourself you can do it as time and budget allows, but you'll have a plan to follow.,,best wishes and keep us posted.
    annikamillerさんはRosemaryRさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Pacific Stone Design Inc.
    10年前
    If you plant the proper plants/vines, it can soften the wall and make it a living wall.
    annikamillerさんはPacific Stone Design Inc.さんにお礼を言いました
  • Darzy
    10年前
    So true Pacific Stone about softening the cement blocks to a living wall. The ones I see do not seem to be adorned with plants and vines.
    annikamillerさんはDarzyさんにお礼を言いました
  • J
    10年前
    Love your house and colours, so suitable for sunny WA. You really don't need any bright colours. Our Australian sun is strong, we often favour really light colours to reflect the suns heat.
    The fence your thinking of sounds great too. Have you thought about what you want in your landscaping? Some trees for shade? Native grasses and bushes? Exotics? I was imaging how nice it would look with a lush native garden in silvery greys, sloping down from your front door. A few large rocks in there to hold the soil in place and give it some structure. Add some stone stairs with low lighting to flush the stair treads. Just add a rendered or real stone retaining wall under your planned side fence. How about a rustic sand stone wall?

I think the balance between the strong structure of the side fence and a more flowing garden could look great.
    Good luck, I'm sure it will look fabulous whatever you choose!
    annikamillerさんはJさんにお礼を言いました
  • southpacific
    10年前
    Hi Annika - Your new home looks great! I have family living in similar environment in Q’Land. What plans/ideas do you have for the area between the proposed "retaining wall" and the roadway? . I am also interested in your plans for the area between the front door and the proposed steps :)
    In the event DARZY’s beautiful rock wall is not your style………Assuming your colour choice for the proposed rendered fence (wall?) with white horizontal slats is the same as the house a plain faced block retaining wall bagged/ rendered the same colour would provide continuity and compliment your house design….Directly across from the front door, two wide feature steps down to lower garden area with a curved path leading close to where the driveway meets the roadside path would help provide WOW factor and a lovely walkway for any visitors who park roadside. Realising a lawned garden at the lower level may not be practical with W.A.water restrictions, I suggest a gravel garden with subtropical and Mediterranean planting if that appeals. Alternatively, If a retaining wall is not necessary to support the area in front of the house, consider a sloping bank planted with shrubs and small trees which would offer you privacy from the passersby. At the top of the driveway - a small curved corner retaining wall which melds into the slope with planting in front. Steps and path could be incorporated as above. Blessings.
    annikamillerさんはsouthpacificさんにお礼を言いました
  • southpacific
    10年前
    Just read Jenpotts great ideas. Couldn't agree more!.
  • southpacific
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Annika - Have you see the Houzz ideabook with gorgeous NSW garden? Click on the link of the auto insert picture & look at article and other pics with great ideas adaptable for WA. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/see-a-lush-australian-garden-that-needs-little-water-stsetivw-vs~16993715
    annikamillerさんはsouthpacificさんにお礼を言いました
  • RosemaryR
    10年前
    South Pacific just checked out the idea book you suggested above wow, amazing garden.
  • southpacific
    10年前
    Hi Rosemary - yes - I'm just finding out how fabulous HOUZZ is! So many mouthwatering ideas! Also, what a privilege and blessing for us all to share our passion for homes and gardens!
  • annikamiller
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    so what I can gather is no straight lines?? Everybody thinks curved rambling? I like structure and was thinking a straight 2 tiered rendered retaining.
  • Van
    10年前
    I do not recommend this particular product - cement. Cheap (how cheap??) & nasty! This is what my "new" wall looks like and my house hasn't been built, yet.
  • RosemaryR
    10年前
    Vttran, never saw that type of wall system, interesting.
  • J
    10年前
    Hiyas, I was thinking straight lines in the fence and softer natural garden. You can give order and structure with strong very wide stairs (curved or straight)and solid large post box in a wall thingy near the driveway. Hope that helps :)
  • southpacific
    10年前
    Hi Annika - totally with jenpotts on this one -definitely straight lines. (Exception: ref.my earlier comment. In the event you created a sloped garden instead of a long retaining wall a short length curved retainer could be used at for corner of top driveway).
  • annikamiller
    質問の投稿者
    9年前
    Finished wall!!
  • Darzy
    9年前
    Very nice annikamiller!