Houzz Logo Print
taimour111

Where are the creative designers?

taimour111
10年前
I need someone to draw up something modern for me to finish this house! My wife and I are stuck. I posted this before and no one seemed to reply to us. If you have any ideas, please post them with pictures

コメント (33)

• taimour111
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    One idea is to break the stairs and make them wider ad remove the shoulder.
  • rinked
    10年前
    What will you use to finish the walls, roof, windows, doors? Asking someone to draw something modern without any further information is like asking someone to draw a flower.
  • rinked
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Plenty of ideas to be found in the photo section.
    Make an ideabook and see what makes your heart beat faster.
    Corona Del Mar · 詳細

christian rice architects, inc. · 詳細

Diablo Modern Residence · 詳細

Sagamore House · 詳細

Cat Mountain Residence · 詳細

Brandon · 詳細
    taimour111さんはrinkedさんにお礼を言いました
  • Rina
    10年前
    Your house has a beautiful, imposing shape, perfect for a modern facade. But I agree with the comments above; make an idea book, find what you like best, then use that as a basis for consulting with a local architect.
    taimour111さんはRinaさんにお礼を言いました
  • taimour111
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. I added 2 more pictures. We hired 2 architects and a builder. We made so many changes, and this is where we are. The house is built of bricks and then a layer of cement goes over it, then paint. As you can see in the pictures, we haven't painted the exterior yet. The house is in Egypt as my wife is Egyptian and I'm an American Citizen. I like American taste and aslo believe the designers are far better!!

The entrance is our major issue. I only need help right now designing an entrance!! As ou can see when you come up the stairs there is nothing then a few steps to the door. How do we add some curb appeal or build an entrance?
  • PRO
    Essentia Interior Design
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Maybe double timber and glass doors, some beautiful mosaic tiles in the entrance and the stairs !What colour will you render the exterior?
  • Rina
    10年前
    Hi again. A real problem here is that it's very hard for anyone to find a starting point, because -- aside from the house itself -- you don't have one. I'm not a professional designer but the first thing I would do, though it sounds a bit back to front, is choose my ideal front door. A really dramatic door would take you halfway to all the curb appeal you need. When you have that, it would help to define what the rest of the front should look like. (By the way, do you know yet what colour you want to use on the walls?)

I've picked up four modern door designs, but you could go in so many other directions. Go to Browse Rooms, go down to Windows and Doors, and then put "modern front doors" in the search box. You'll find any number of examples and styles to inspire you.

With the following four, the first one comes from http://materialgirlsblog.com/losangeles/page/2/, the second and fourth come from http://freshome.com/2012/08/29/30-inspiring-front-door-designs-hinting-towards-a-happy-home/, and the third (bottom left) comes from http://www.foretdoors.com/modern-doors-gallery.html -- and I found that one through Houzz, by searching as above.

(I love the bottom right, with its glowing panels. Imagine that translated into a large double door.)
  • charleee
    10年前
    Did you maybe put the cart before the horse? First you built the house, then you want it modernized? I would suggest looking thru Houzz photos for 'modern exterior' for inspiration.
    [houzz=
    front landscape · 詳細
    ]
    [houzz=
    Stein Residence · 詳細
    ]
    [houzz=
    Casa Lluvia Blanca · 詳細
    ]
    [houzz=
    The Strand Manhattan Beach · 詳細
    ]
    taimour111さんはcharleeeさんにお礼を言いました
  • taimour111
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Rina, too bad you're not getting paid for your advice! One of the bottom 2 you posted will definetly be our pick for the door. I think I like the stairs in the picture bottem left. The contractor built the shoulders you see that make an "L" with the stairs. I don't know to remove them or keep them.
  • taimour111
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Charlee, our house is mediteranean style. However, I just wanted to add a twist of modernism to it. The major issue we have is to just have a nice flow to the whole house. I have a balcony above the entrance, which is limiting on what I can do with the entrance. Also, the entrance area is very wide. I'm afraid if I just leave it like this, it'll just look plain boring, and was looking to see if I need to add poles or any decoration to it. I posted my issues when I ran into problems and also after we didn't like the suggestions of our architechts. I'm getting somewhere right now with Rina at least organizing our thoughts.
  • taimour111
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    The house color will be beige or brown
  • taimour111
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    As you can see in the attached, we have a finished and designed model for the back side. We didn't like the front, and this is why I came here for some ideas.
  • PRO
    Essentia Interior Design
    10年前
    If you keep the L shape in the front you could place some wrought iron within the L on either side to match the balustrades you have on the back of the house!
  • Rina
    10年前
    I'm so happy I could help. I agree with Essentia that the L could be useful for decorative purposes. I'd want to work with that shape. If I think of anything else that might be useful I'll pipe up again.
  • PRO
    Essentia Interior Design
    10年前
    If you would like a foyer type entrance, large wrought iron gates could be installed on the front edge! Then maybe two large pot plants in the Ls. and some lighting directed on the plants or even two beautiful sculptures on either side with the lighting!!! You could tile the area and add a padded bench seat on either side inside the Ls as well!This would draw you into the space!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    I would put stone on tapirs with black rod iron railing. Same for deck on second floors. There is a lot of brick. Could you put some wood like half way up brick wall. Stone on stairs a cream flagstone. Once windows are in will look different. Where do,you live? Landscaping will help. Grass, trees and tall big plant will take away from so much brick. A path leading up to Stairs. Put flagstone in light color or stacked stone columns on each side at top of stairs on top of them add big lantern type lights. Add a hanging bronze lantern light in front of front door hang from ceiling. Should be 3-4 ft long.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Add a fountain in front yard in front of main window. Big.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    I see you will have double front doors. Make them unique, very tall and maybe hand curved.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Instead of yard. add water feature by front door.
  • PRO
    User
    10年前
    The really creative designers are generally working on projects that pay them.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10年前
    Amen to that.
  • PRO
    Posh Patios
    10年前
    IPE trim with concrete counter top sills
  • Rina
    10年前
    Travisinteriors, I particularly like the idea of a fountain.

I don't often think of them because I live in a water-poor country. So do you, Taimour (in spite of the Nile!), yes? But if a fountain is a possibility, you could also think of two wall fountains, one either side of the entrance, either where I've blocked them in below (forgive the quick scribble) or, if the design allows, right next to the stairs.

(By the way, Travisinteriors, see above -- the house is yet to be plastered and painted. It's not going to have a brick facade.)

I mean this kind of thing (found on http://www.labdal.com/garden-wall-fountains.html/robson-square-vancouver-british-columbia-canada#main):
  • diorio33
    10年前
    All the creative designers are moving towards the home automation side of design now. Most people think of design as how something looks..but really if you look deeper, its how it all works. having full control of your entire home using just your iPhone/iPad is going to change the way we build homes in the future.
  • qam999
    10年前
    Why don't you simply hire a professional? I am sure there are US-trained designers and architects in Egypt.
  • charleee
    10年前
    soberg, seriously! I would!
  • PRO
    MEC
    10年前
    You can have mosaic artwork done on the entrance floor.
    Contemporary Dining Room · 詳細

Marble Mosaic Rugs and Medallions · 詳細

Custom Work Assignments by MEC · 詳細
  • taimour111
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    I have a pretty good idea on what to do now. Thank you so much for all the help. But, please post any other ideas you have. I don't think people in general appreciate the power of social media or a website like "Houzz". I hired 2 different designers and got the most out of them that I want.....the rest wasn't our style or what we wanted to do....and they simply just don't have the creativity, touch, and taste to execute what we want to do. So, instead of keep hiring designer, we came here. Having a medium like this one; it lets all designers, wanna be designers, professionals and just experienced home owners share their ideas! Honestly, I'm very happy with the ideas for our house that we got here..... This is just to answer the lame "why don't you hire a designer"
  • Rina
    10年前
    I'm glad you've got what you needed from the discussion. Whether your ideas would include mosaic or not, I do admire the mosaic rugs MEC Corporation posted, especially the first and the third. Good luck!
  • PRO
    MEC
    10年前
    Some more wrought iron modern work
    Wrought Iron artworks by MEC · 詳細

• PRO
    MEC
    10年前
    Here you can have something for your washroom or get any feature wall in mosaic.
    Marble mosaic and Glass mosaic washrooms · 詳細

Crystal Mosaic Artworks by Mec · 詳細

Crystal Mosaic Artworks by Mec · 詳細

• PRO
    Doors For Builders Inc
    10年前
    Entry door is definitely of importance as suggested previously. Given a nice overhang you might want to consider solid wood doors. Below few examples for you. Best of luck with your house!