Houzz Logo Print
jennad98

Bathroom Tile - Is this hideous?

Jenna
4か月前

I'm in the middle of a full bath renovation. I have brizo luxe gold fixtures and a walnut reeded vanity. I love the wall gradient tile, but after installation today, I think I hate the floor and shower tile. I think maybe the colors clash with the gradient wall tile. Any advice or ideas? Am I having my contractor rip it up?

コメント (67)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4か月前
    最終更新:4か月前

Well..................not going to lie. Hate the shower floor tile, and with the reed walnut vanity, and the linear quality of all else? Yup. Sort of the misfit better suited to a much more traditional bath. All else? Fine!

Three tiles in a bath is tough- almost always ensuring a "Uh OH" moment.

Is it horrible? No. But that is what is bugging you.

• thinkdesignlive
    4か月前

Once grouted it will look fine. I’d suggest using the wall tile on the curb. Not the floor tile.

• atozkids
    4か月前

It will be fine once grouted. I wouldn't worry. You can add more color with accessories.

• atozkids
    4か月前

It looks good to me and you need the grout to complete the look. Nothing ever looks done right until the grout is added. Then you can decide on a color theme with your accessories, wall decor, etc.

• cpartist
    4か月前

YOu might be ripping your shower tile up if he didn't waterproof behind the tile and from what it looks like he didn't do that unless he put a barrier behind the cement board.

• Paul F.
    4か月前

He used Schluter systems Kerdi board... it looks correct.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4か月前

what's the vanity look like? have a pic? countertop?

what color are you planning for the walls?

I think a dramatic deep blue or deep green would look so good w/the wood vanity.

Here's a walnut vanity w/deep green, marble countertop.

maybe some plants on shelves over the toilet or opposing wall?

I think a nice runner w/a bit of color (warmer tones) to compliment the wood vanity would be a nice choice.

You see how the floor/wall tiles are very neutral? but adding some of these accessories can bring it to life. if you want a neutral wall color like this,

Try BM Calm, or Pale Oak, or Simply White.

teak bath mat would be nice if you plan on doing all neutral

• cebehatz
    4か月前

I think the shower tiles look too busy.

• cpartist
    4か月前

He used Schluter systems Kerdi board... it looks correct.

I see it now. :)

• Paul F.
    4か月前

In fact, he went above and beyond with the purple moisture/mold resistant drywall everywhere including the ceiling.

• HouzzUser-326560860
    4か月前

It will be lovely!

• rockybird
    4か月前

It will look great. I really like that shower tile.

• Andrea L.
    4か月前

I agree with others: the red spacers are completely distracting, even slightly changing the color of the floor tile. The colors are beautiful and the vanity sounds lovely and will probably tie it all together. I’d say go for it and grout that floor.

• RedRyder
    4か月前

We all panic at this stage because it looks weird - red spacers and no grout…. Ugh. I like your choices and think you did a good job making them blend.

Show a photo of the vanity, too. So far, it’s looking like it will be very nice. Grout choice is critical too.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    4か月前

It's lovely! Wait until everything is grouted and it will feel so much more pulled together. These are very nice selections and it looks like your installer is doing a great job.

• Jenna
    質問の投稿者
    4か月前

Here is what the tile looks like grouted now. I used the same grout as the floor tile. Maybe that was a mistake and I should've used the wall color grout. It isn't quite as dark in person, but also not as light as I would've liked.

• RedRyder
    4か月前

It looks good!

• chispa
    4か月前

Looks good! The only thing I would have done differently would be to use the curb material on the front side too, but it is just a design preference.

• kculbers
    4か月前

I think it looks wonderful!!

• Kendrah
    4か月前

Fantastic choices. You shouldn't second guess anything. It looks professionally designed. Great.

• k8cd
    4か月前

It looks great!

• Heidi T
    4か月前

I think it is lovely and will age very well! If i were to "improve" upon anything, which would be completely unnecessary and only my opinion, i would have used the wall grout on the floor to look cleaner and wall tile on the curb side.

• btydrvn
    4か月前

Being a colorist ..I can see your disappointment…the wall tile colors are irregularly placed..color wise…and both floor tones are a different shade…using the same grout color will be unifying.. the saving grace will be to choose the right colored fixtures…cabinets…and a unifying wall color…at this stage perhaps choosing sleek wood cabinets to tie in the floor colorations better..and add a nice contrast

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4か月前

Jenna, I think it looks fine. once you get those walls primed and painted, and get the vanity in, it will look completely put together.

WHAT is the vanity choice?

Countertop?

Lighting, mirror?

right now it's bordering on very 'cool' toned. be careful using anthing that leans grayish blue. I'd prob plan on doing some wood shelving w/a few plants for over the toilet. brings in some depth and warmth.

I actually like something w/contrast. this white oak vanity, honed black stone top, black hardware, walnut shelf over toilet, and this black mocha on the walls.

Or, you could try something like this (imagine your floor tiles in this pic)

similar color palette to yours. see how this wood vanity warms it up? black/gold metal

similar

wall tile layout. they used more of a contrast on the floor. you could go w/a griege vanity like this. Or, choose that color for the walls

if you go w/white walls, try BM Simply White or SW Pure White.

You can see what adding some texture and wood does to an all white room. I like the rug too.

You could even do a darker vanity color like this olive green w/brass metal

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4か月前

This. So much newer and warmer!!

• Jenna
    質問の投稿者
    4か月前

I bought this walnut reeded vanity which will be delivered this week. I haven't purchased a top yet -- was maybe thinking white quartz?

Vanity:

I also purchased this mirror and sconces:

Two sconces:

The fixtures in the bathroom are Brizo Luxe Gold -- kind of like a champagne bronze.

Any advice on paint colors to warm this up? Or color for a rug? I also like the idea of shelves with plants.

• cpartist
    4か月前

Why is there no tile on the wall with the niche?

And yes, the tile looks great.

• Jenna
    質問の投稿者
    4か月前

We underestimated the amount we’d need and had to order more. Tile will be on that entire niche shower wall and half way up the vanity/toilet wall.

• lkloes
    4か月前

You have lovely taste and it looks great! Regarding paint, I would match wall color to something you already have (shower tile perhaps) rather than introducing a new shade into the mix. Warm walls will clash; use wood elements (and your champagne bronze fixtures) for warmth instead. Enjoy your gorgeous new bathroom!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4か月前

I like the vanity and the gold accents. have you thought about doing a darker countertop? You could go w/white, but it has to be the right tone.

gorgeous vanity. did you get that from etsy or? I know they aren't cheap.

I notice this wood is raw.

do you (or they) plan on applying a coat of varnish (you should) or a slight stain and thn a varnish? (make sure it's a varnish and NOT a poly. varnish allows the wood to expand and contract w/o cracking the clear coat. Poly is more stiff/rigid than varnish)

walnut reed. even w/a coat of varnish that wood will come to life, similar to this. if you want it a tad darker they can do a walnut stain.

(this top looks like a quartzite or marble)

tried to find one in the right shade. shown here w/black/gold, some textured items. what do you think?

another one. plain white top, gold mirror/light, ignore this faucet.

and if you did a slightly darker walnut stain, white top and dark wall (here's it's forest green)

I think a honed quartz or honed granite in a darker tone like this charcoal or even a medium gray would be really pretty

the darker gray

put together some other options shown w/your raw walnut and one that is stained/coated

here's a good example of a walnut w/no stain. they prob applied a flat or satin clear finish to it. Personally I like walnut to be a tad darker. whats your take on it?

So this one is oak, but it's similar to the color of the walnut you have. if they do a clear satin finish on it, you'd prob end up w/this tone. shown here w/a white marble top against a silve gray background

(Please be sure your vanity gets some sort of coating to bring out that beautiful walnut finish. don't leave it as is)

This is stunning w/the gold black and marble accents

another vote for this walnut stain color and finish for yours. beautiful w/the gold and black
    read the link

https://www.jkath.com/natural-luxury-primary-bathroom-reveal/

they did this tile in their shower.

• snshaw141
    4か月前

• Nuala Power
    4か月前

I like it all including the floor tile in the shower. It's a smaller, defined area so having smaller tiles works.

• Elizabeth Ann
    4か月前

Your bathroom reno is going amazingly well. From my perspective, you have laid a stunning foundation for the finishing touches to come. I especially like the previous commenters’
    suggestions to incorporate wood into the vanity for contrast and warmth.

It’s clear that you have fallen prey to the dreaded mid-project panic. Don’t despair. It will pass. As soon as you see everything installed, plants placed just so and fluffy towels hanging invitingly, you will laugh at your foolishness.

• nolanirvana
    4か月前

I think it looks great!

• jeffyonkman
    4か月前

I would add the floor tile to the unfinished left wall to help tie everything together. But I agree that once everything is complete it will look great.

• Anne DeLucia
    4か月前

You're overthinking it because that's all that's in there now. It will be a classy, soft bac kground that lets the walnut take a star turn when walls are painted and everything is installed. It is subtle enough to allow for a number of wall shades in the years to come. Deep breath, and relax!!

• kauila
    4か月前

The shower floor tile needs a light colored grout to make it look fine and should overcome the (too many) grey tiles in that pattern. The dark shadows from the ungrouted tile makes it look wrong now.

The square notched floor tile around the toilet flange should have been done differently, but it will be covered by the toilet.

• reginagayle
    4か月前

Overall, I like your neutral color choices so far, but think there are too many vertical lines and corners on the tiles and floors. However, I agree with those who think the only possible change is the shower floor--for 3 reasons: penny tile looks too busy, the style of it is too "traditional" compared to the rest of the squared corner tiles, and it will be a "bear" of a job to keep clean (cleaning grout is The Worst)! I think I'd extend the floor tiles into the shower so it all blends together--instead of drawing the eye to the shower floor (which, once it's used, may never look clean?). I like the addition of a dark-ish wood vanity, but I notice that it, too (like everything but the shower floor tile--Oops, the only non-linear lines in the room so far!?)--has vertical lines on the front. I also like the mirror (however maybe a round one would break up the repetitive rectangular "theme"?) and love the sconces that are cylindrical in shape--but, again, they're long and vertical. Maybe a "soft" color on the walls (not bright and not necessarily pale) might help, and breaking up the grey & wood in the room with accent-colored towels and decorational items (on dark wood wall shelves?) in non-vertical shapes that blend the grey, wall color & towels together will help to coordinate everything. Overall I think you have shown the beginnings of a beautiful bath.

• RedRyder
    4か月前

I’m glad you chose a wood vanity. I also agree with @Beth H: that a deep gray or black countertop is a better look for this bathroom.

Hold off on the wall paint color until the entire room is completely done. You may get wall color recommendations that you’re not considering. I also agree that the shower floor should be the same tile as the floor but in a smaller format (more grout in the shower is better for less slippery-ness). Small hexagons, maybe?

So far, it’s looking good.

• gppkarole
    3か月前

Worried about keeping our light grey floor grout clean without damaging the quartzite tile. Our cleaning person used Powerwash (for pots and pans!) on it leaving a couple of permanent pink spots. l’m afraid to use anything harsh. Is regrouting in a darker grout right over the original ever done?

• tracefloyd
    3か月前
    最終更新:3か月前

The idea boards above from @Beth H. --the ones using dark countertops-- show how bolder dramatic elements make all the tiles recede visually...the tiles are all mid-tone, and blend into one another this way.

• RedRyder
    3か月前

@gppkarole, it’s better to start your own dilemma to get help with this idea.

• drblount10
    3か月前

Love the overall look so far! The vanity and bling are going to be beautiful in there! Just tuning in, can't wait to see it finished!

• Jenna
    質問の投稿者
    先月

Update: the bathroom is very close to being complete (just missing towel bars). I don’t think the shower floor tile is as bad as I originally thought. I still do feel like it could use something above the toilet though…

• izeve
    先月

Very nice. I would just hang some artwork over the toilet. No shelves.

• mmc429
    先月

It looks terrific! Those tile spaces always make us feel alarmed! Something above the toilet and a couple things (towels, vase, picture) in there will pull it all together to have a really complete bathroom. Good job!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    先月

I agree-it looks just great! Isn't it amazing how we second-guess ourselves, and then when it's all finished and put together we realize that we overreacted.

If you need more storage, add shelves, if not, then a nice framed photo would be good over the toilet. Or nothing :)

• bsgibbs
    先月

You could put up one of these above the toilet. When not in use, they look like art. But you can pop the slats out as towel hooks or toiletry bag hangers when needed. They come in different wood species and various sizes. The one we used over the toilet can be used as a shelf, with all of the slats lowered.

• Paul F.
    先月

Not sure if you ever answered were you got the vanity. Was it raw wood that needed to be varnished? I've never seen an off the shelf vanity sold that way.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    先月

Lafayette · 詳細

You just need some art over the toilet. Mine is pretty neutral since I have the feature wall, yours could have more color.