Houzz Logo Print
ntozzi

decorating and lighting help!

ntozzi
6か月前

Hi. Ive been growing tired of the traditional feel around my house. Been trying to make some small updates. Without changing furniture.
This room looks so blah including the light fixture. Which I also have a matching one in the foyer. I def don’t want matchy matchy anymore. Any tips on more contemporary lighting as well as minor design changes?

コメント (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6か月前

IMO a DR light can be different than all the rest of the lighting it is the star usually in thta space . I find both lights very old fashioned and both can be quite fabulous in different ways I would do something linear for the DR and then the one in the entry with some crystals too but hanging so it is seen in that upper window . I think the DR furniture is beautiful how about some nice faux silk drapes on the window and another piece of art on the buffet . The mirror is really not reflecting anything worth seeing twice .

• ntozzi
    質問の投稿者
    6か月前

Yes I agree the lights are very old fashioned. I was thinking something like this for the foyer. And maybe crystals for the DR?

• ntozzi
    質問の投稿者
    6か月前

something like this for DR? Not sure if that’s all over the place

• Lyn Nielson
    6か月前

a drum shade and some drapery panels for additional texture.

• ginatay124
    6か月前

You’ve got a good foundation- just need some finishing touches to bring in more warmth and softness - rug, drapes, art, lamps. The photos above offer a lot of inspiration. Not sure if you’d like to bring in more color but here is a super quick attempt to show you what bringing in more color could look like:

• ntozzi
    質問の投稿者
    6か月前

Awesome. Thank you so much

• mytwo cents
    6か月前
    最終更新:6か月前

Here are 2 unique pieces that I think might look good in your room to give it a more modern punch without going way out of your basic foundation -- depends on what you pick for a new chandelier

To replace your current artwork (30 x 25 unframed)

https://www.chairish.com/product/5559516/1981-roy-ahlgren-big-sur-op-art-serigraph

To replace your mirror (22 inches diametere)

https://www.chairish.com/product/3096225/1990s-italian-kaleidoscopio-art-murano-glass-oversize-shelf-plate

Something else you could think about if you know an upholsterer is to get a stripe of wide fabric tape right down the back of each of your white chairs. Get a design and colors that interest you -- fancy or plain or pop or lovely, you can even get beads or crystals -- and fingers crossed it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

• Iluvdark kychns
    6か月前

you say you don't want traditional style anymore but you don't really say what you like. With that furniture you can go in a couple of different directions such as glitzy glam or old world gentry feel, possibly French country. Not that I'm into labels, but it helps give a little more information as to what you like. Also you say you don't like matchy matchy but all of your chairs are matchy. You could try swapping out the two end with something that makes more of a statement (color maybe). you can also add some drama with drapes and sheers. Those pleated shades are doing anything for the room. I think these would be easier changes than swapping out the light fixture which may require an electrician unless you are handy in that respect.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6か月前

Select a light fixture that doesn't simply shine up

IMO the room could use some draperies.

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    16日前

Perhaps look at getting a rug for the space, a new chandelier, and removing the mirror and replacing it with another art piece. Please take a moment to look through these dining room designs for chandelier ideas along with rug ideas.

Modern Glam · 詳細

New Build: Dining Room · 詳細

Transitional Home: Dining Room · 詳細

Casual Classic Remodel: Dining Room · 詳細

PR