Houzz Logo Print
gfunk04

Wall of windows or doors?

gfunk04
9か月前

Remodeling my house and I want this wall to make a big impact when you walk in. Lots of light! The house is Mediterranean style. What should I replace the 3 sliding doors with? Thank you!!

コメント (27)

• Lyn Nielson
    9か月前

you only need one door to the exterior, unless you keep them open to the outdoors

What are you remodeling? a total gut and start over or just replacing doors/windows

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

Yes I will only need one door. I’m wondering wha would look best- windows with or without sashes, or French doors, sliding doors, transoms?
    It will be a total gut!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9か月前

I would spend you money to demo the corner fireplace and replace it with a linear electrical fireplace and TV above

IMO the view out the glass doors isn't good enough to invest in yet. The sliders are fine for the present patio and pergola setup.

BEFORE

AFTER

BACKYARD

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

I love that idea!
    I want to let the most light in… so sliding doors do do the trick… should they have sashes? Should it be windows plus one sliding door?

• kandrewspa
    9か月前

The style of the house (from what I can see) indicates no muntins would be appropriate. If you have a brand and product line chosen for windows and a new slider see if they have limitations on how large a window they will build. Ideally you want large windows the same size as the sliders. Two 30-36" wide to replace each slider, or one to replace each slider if it's not cost prohibitive. You can make the opening shorter, but no reason not to keep them as large or almost as large as the current opening. Where is the kitchen? I like to have the slider close to the kitchen for taking food outside (if you like to eat outside). Keeping the slider in the middle would be symmetrical, but if that would be a problem for furniture arrangement or traffic flow you could keep one of the others instead.

Glass Pavilion · 詳細

Mid Century Modern - Eichler Renovation · 詳細

Arcadia · 詳細

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

I love all the pictures! I will look into the cost for single windows to replace two of the sliders. Probably keep the slider in the middle and replace outer two.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9か月前

Why are you even thinking of spending a penny on these existing doors? They look fine.

Based on the pics of the home, you need every penny for other projects in the house. The house needs to be completely painted

The bathrooms could be updated which is never inexpensive.

There are all types of different flooring in the house which is never good

The landscaping in the front and back needs a major revamp, and I don't know what to make of the tacked-on portico at the entry.

• njmomma
    9か月前

Landscaping the backyard will give you the biggest impact. Windows or doors looking at a beautifully landscaped back yard is always a wow!

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

Thank you so much for all the comments! Yes, planning to gut it all… add sprinkler system and landscaping 😁 it was a foreclosure so we were fortunate to get it at a good price and make it the way we want. I’m just not sure what people are putting in for doors now… from the comments so far it sounds like sliders and windows are fine?

• millworkman
    9か月前

Lets see the rear elevation. If it looks as it appears to me I would replace all with either sliding doors or (1) sliding door and the others fixed sliding doors (similar appearance just fixed). Look into a quality brand, no builders basic in my opinion.

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

What do you mean by rear elevation?

• millworkman
    9か月前

Rear of the house from the exterior unless that is the backyard pic that Beverly posted above.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9か月前

I love nanawalls but I have to agree what is wrong with what you have ? I have a set of patio doors off mty DR and LR they are great . Waht is outside these doors that really drives the choices . I ahve deck all around my house so the more patio doors the better . I for sure agree to nix that corner FP .

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

Yes that’s the backyard that she posted.
    Only the middle door works right now so I’ll need to at least swap out the other two sliders for something new. I will google nanawalls! We might put in a pool or just new grass, but it’s mostly light that I want to let in. I was going to resurface the fireplace, something like the below picture…. But is it bad to keep it in the corner?

• decorpatti
    9か月前

I am sure it is a personal opinion, but I never liked corner fireplaces, or counters or doorways at an angle; furniture arrangement is more difficult. Re-doing the FP would be a definite yes for me. Since you are planning to gut the home, of course you will put in new windows or sliding doors. I prefer French doors...they can be contemporary or traditional in style, so this is a decision to make in your overall design. Large fixed windows (floor to ceiling) and one slider works, too.

• PRO
    Brennan Enterprises
    9か月前

I agree with @BeverlyFLADeziner's recommendation on the corner fireplace and doors. If you really want to replace them, you can update the sliding door to a more contemporary look.

If you don't want so many doors you can swap to two large picture windows and sliding or french doors. With this second option you may help lower your monthly energy costs because you're going from doors to fixed windows. Also though consider whether you were planning on changing the windows on the rest of the house, if you're just changing doors it's not a big deal but if you want to change the windows the rest should match in profile.

If you like to entertain and want to really make a change I would remove the sliders and add a folding or multislide/stacking door but then you should also consider use and bugs/insects, if those are a concern you'll want an option for oversized screens/shades as well.

• kelli_ga
    9か月前
    最終更新:9か月前

I loved a wide-stile French door. It can be sliding if you don’t want swing doors. To me, the wide solid frame with full glass and no grills frames the view. I’m not sure you need more than one. Windows might be better for the other two openings if you use screens and keep windows open.

As far as which is which, I would design the rest of your indoor and outdoor spaces before you decide. And wait on the door style until you know how you want to access each area. Double doors would be really cool if they are practical and if you have the space. Sliding doors may be easier. But definitely the wide stiles frame the view and take the visual quality of the room to a new level. This is my favorite design element and I am trying to find a way to integrate it into my new house.

This looks like the one I got for my previous home. It was sliding because there were several reasons swing doors would not work with that installation.

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

Thank you so much for all the great ideas!

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

@kelli_ga could you possibly put a picture of what you are describing? I googled wide stile French door but all sorts of looks came up. Thank you!

• kelli_ga
    9か月前
    最終更新:9か月前

(It looked a lot prettier in person. I loved that door - looked through it all the time!)

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

I love that!

• kazzh
    9か月前

Again a vote for why change, if 2 don’t work - fix! 3 working sliders- what wonderful air flow on a mild evening! Now that will reduce the energy costs to use nature to cool a house in an evening!

• marmiegard_z7b
    9か月前

Shouldn’t you fomirst sketch out some possible furniture arrangements, what are the walking paths, will you put a TV in the room— and how the fireplace might figure into tgst- and what’s likely to be built or planted outside, for outdoor flooring, outdoor sitting, grilling, etc, before you tear out the sliders? These plans would help see how you expect to exit & enter the room, circulate with food or cookout stuff, maximize views. I don’t mean all that has to be nailed down, but at least part of the “ vision” for the spaces and therefore some of your wall/ window ideas, and when to do them.

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

Good point! I won’t change them out without figuring out all the other stuff!

• kelli_ga
    9か月前

I just saw this article which looks really cool: picture windows with skinny side shutter-doors for ventilation. Don’t know how practical it is.

https://www.domino.com/renovation/shutters-for-picture-windows/

• gfunk04
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

Thanks so much for sharing, that is really nice!!

PR