Houzz Logo Print
jamille_henry42

How to Permanently Close a Window

Jamille Henry
10か月前

How do you permanently close a window? These are casement windows that have no way of sealing properly and are not airtight. They swing forward and backward freely and there is currently only a simple hook in place to hold them closed, so the house leaks a ton of energy from this area. Any ideas how to seal them shut?

コメント (12)

• Jamille Henry
    質問の投稿者
    10か月前

The gaps are currently being covered with tape 😅 we’ll have another situation to fix when we pull it off I’m sure… but I can feel the heat from outside when I hold my hand up to it.

• wdccruise
    10か月前
    最終更新:10か月前

I would weatherstrip the window to prevent air from leaking around the sash. Videos:

I suppose you could caulk in the gap between the sash and the jam. I like DAP Dynaflex 230 caulk.which remains flexible.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    10か月前

The heat is coming just from the glass. You could put weatherstripping in but you still gonna feel the heat.

• wdccruise
    10か月前

@toddinmn: "but you still gonna feel the heat."

Oh yeah. Those are old, single-pane windows with none of the features of modern windows that help prevent sunlight from overheating a room. If those are west-facing windows, the problem is made even worse. Applying window film or shading the windows would help.

• Jamille Henry
    質問の投稿者
    10か月前

Yes, there is for sure heat coming from the glass. Those blinds are typically pulled down but we plan to put solar shades there. Still, filling the gaps around the windows (sealing them shut) that are letting the actual air conditioning out of the house will help even more.

Also, sealing the windows will help during the winter when we lose heating through them in the winter.

And yes, those are west facing and gorgeous windows. We get great light through them when it is temperate and we pull the blinds open. But we never open the actual windows. They are casements, they open out, there aren’t screens, and we need a ladder to open them (they’re in the stairwell).

• wdccruise
    10か月前

Window film would help to prevent overheating the room in the summer. West-facing windows are the worst as unobstructed sun shines through them from noon until dusk. I have a skylight which made the condo unbearable until low-SHGC tint was applied.

You could use cheap window insulation (example) in the winter to sorta-kinda simulate a double-pane window and reduce the loss of heat through the glass.

• Jamille Henry
    質問の投稿者
    10か月前

Ah, that just gave me an idea, maybe after sealing, I could have window inserts put there as a more attractive solution. We had the film there for the winter and it helped some but we do want something that looks better than that especially if it’s going to be up year round.

• wdccruise
    10か月前

I'd consider converting the window from a casement to a non-operable picture window. I'd replace the sash and other window parts as necessary to convert the existing inefficient, single-pane, leaky casement window to an efficient picture one. I'd include the correct Insulated Glass Unit (IGU) for your climate that would reduce summertime heat buildup and reduce wintertime heat loss. I'd do it once and properly, not mess around with trying to "fix" the current one. One and done.

Guide to Energy-Efficient Windows

• Jamille Henry
    質問の投稿者
    10か月前

I like this idea. I will run it by the historic commission and see what they say. Typically they don’t approve any sort of window replacement if the windows are in good condition. Unfortunately they don’t care about our comfort, just preserving the history of a historic landmark.

• wdccruise
    10か月前
    最終更新:10か月前

I too live in a historic district. Our condo building was not historic -- too new -- but it still had to follow certain rules. Most significantly we could not replace our windows with vinyl so we used fiberglass which was okay. Here is a summary of the Window Repair and Replacement rules for our historic district. If yours are similar, I would think you could upgrade the sash, install an IGU, and convert the window to a picture window as long as its appearance didn't change (much).

What's ironic that while new vinyl windows cannot be installed, old, energy-inefficient, single-pane, rotting wood windows with peeling paint are fine and there a lot of them in the neighborhood.

• PRO
    Brennan Enterprises
    10か月前

Hi, Jamille. If replacement windows aren't an option then I would recommend interior storm windows. I never recommend storm windows but based on the comments in this thread, that seems like the best solution at this point. https://indowwindows.com/storm-windows/

PR