Houzz Logo Print
raynerkimberley

Please help with flooring!

Kim R
11か月前

We have already chosen our kitchen cabinet color and they are in production so that can not be changed. Today I came across this glorious kitchen by #decorhappy and fell in love with the flooring. I commented on it and asked if it would work with the existing flooring we have that will be adjacent to the new kitchen floor. It’s exactly what I want. In one of the photos another Instagram user answered saying make sure our light and dark undertones coordinate. Help?! What does that mean, and does the paint sample on top of my flooring do that? I have no design expertise so I am looking for suggestions. Tile backsplash will be white, Zellige 4x4 tile (although I might change it now seeing this 2x6!) and the counters will be black granite.

So my questions are, will something like the floor in the inspo picture work? And anyone know what it is? Appreciate any and all advice. The photo with the range is my original inspo photo. We were unable to use the exact paint color even though I knew the source so the sample you see was our second choice.

コメント (11)

• snappity
    11か月前

I am a little confused but love your top colors, very similar to my own! Are you trying to do a harlequin floor? with the same wood or to go next to that wood?

• Kim R
    質問の投稿者
    11か月前

I want to do the checkered(?) (is that harlequin?) floor in the kitchen but it would be next to the floor in the photo with the paint swatch on top of it so I’m not understanding what the other user was saying about undertones?

• Sammie J
    11か月前

It could coordinate, but you have to understand the undertone of your cabinet color, and the adjacent flooring, and then match the floor tile to the same undertone. For example, for the paint sample you show, does it lean toward blue, or violet, or green? For the wood, does it have a cool, taupe/green/ or gray tone, or is it more warm (think wheat, blond, copper, orange, red, pink). Hard to tell on computer screen. Maria Killiam https://mariakillam.com/ has some great descriptions of how to define the undertone.

• Kim R
    質問の投稿者
    11か月前

Thank you. I will check out that think. The cabinet color undertone is green. The wood floor definitely leans warm in my uneducated opinion. So with a warm wood undertone with a gray undertone paint, where do I go with this?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11か月前

You want a floor as the black white?

You need two TILES. Same size. In a porcelain. There was another thread a while ago, similar inspo, and the tiles in the inspo? Peel and stick, vinyl. .................................................

• la_la Girl
    11か月前

^^ good advice - i would be wary of falling in love with a single element especially as the design is already underway (but i am def a less is more girl)

• blfenton
    11か月前

I'm confused. Your counters are black and are your cabinets that dark grey in the top photo? or a different colour. If they are grey then putting grey/white checkerboard on the floor for me, is just too much black/grey.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11か月前
    最終更新:11か月前

IMO do the same floor as the adjoining spaces then you can do whatever for accents in the kitchen that are a lot less expensive than a new floor.IMO black granite would not be my choice with that cabinet color and for sure I would not add another black to the mix. Backsplas and wall color are beset chosen after the kitchen is installed including the floor which BTW should be installed before cabinets in most cases.

• cpartist
    11か月前

Why not just run the wood floor in the kitchen too?

• Kim R
    質問の投稿者
    8か月前

@cpartist the previous owners applied marmoleum to original wood floors which will ruin the floors when we pull it up, and, a portion of the kitchen flooded and ruined it further. We did feather in new wood flooring in our upstairs by a reputable hardwood professional but it still looks too different and bugs me. So I figured an entirely different style of flooring in this small kitchen would be better. I have rethought the black and white checkerboard/harlequin and am looking for something different but don’t know what.

PR