Houzz Logo Print
roman_k41

Need help decorating empty area of living room

Roman K
11か月前

Hello,
Need some help to finish decorating the living room, particularly the area by the staircase. Maybe a chair and side table, new art work since the gold doesn't seem to go too well. Only gold we have is in dining room as chandelier but this doesn't really tie in very well. I know coffee table would be nice by couch but given little kids thought I'd hold off for a couple more years so it's more open to play, but feel free to recommend as a forward thinking idea. As far as window treatments right now it's clean modern white roller shades that are up.

コメント (13)

• Roman K
    質問の投稿者
    11か月前

They don't really play by the stairs area and given how empty it is there, that area would be nice to decorate otherwise they whole room just feels too empty

• Kate
    11か月前

Maybe a chest with a lamp and appropriately sized art. I would hang the canvas elsewhere, perhaps over fireplace with the command hooks.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11か月前

Unfortunately, this arrangement below would have been a better solution for the room.

• kandrewspa
    11か月前

One of my friends had a large upholstered ottoman in her family room when her kids were young instead of a coffee table. The wall area between the stairs isn't very large. It looks like a good place for a console table to me, providing the large piece of art is relocated. You only need something 2/3rds to 3/4trs the width of the space. Or maybe a gallery wall with family pictures. While some people are allergic to family pictures in living rooms, I think they're something your children and visitors would enjoy.

• ffpalms
    11か月前

The problem that stands out for me is the side view of your TV setup. The exposed wires are taking away from the crisp minimalism of the rest of your decor. For the area by the stairs, I’d look at large comfortable seating that looks good from behind because of the clear panel behind it.

• ffpalms
    11か月前

The colors in the painting pull in the warm color of your floor, the black and gray tones of your decor, and the dark brown of the kitchen cabinets. I’d like to see it hung vertically and lower, as Lyn Nielson suggested.

• chispa
    11か月前
    最終更新:11か月前

Maybe get 2 or 3 bunching tables to use as a coffee table. They can easily be moved when the kids need more room to play. Put a few non-breakable decorations on them and teach the kids to respect and not touch decorations ... a skill that comes in handy if you visit homes that have a lot of decorations on tables.

• PRO
    AiFL
    11か月前

I’d hunt for some type of very sculptural wood chair, or something antique, or something rustic, to balance the very modern sleek lines in everything else. Something that is almost an art piece.

• Maureen
    11か月前
    最終更新:11か月前

Great space with so much potential! Suggest searching modern on line rooms and any specific items you are considering. Save everything you like, as a plan will make it easier (for both short and long term additions) and take your time.

Some ideas: Wall next to stairs - keep it simple; off set opening with height/volume and leave wall empty.

Large vertical art on left of windows (will draw the eye away from toys as well) and on right, add a floor lamp and chair (as per Beverly’s suggestion).

Fill the gap on left of fireplace, creating a more impactful feature wall. Ideas: large art (and you can mix metals).

Shelving

Could paint black as well.

Accessorize below TV

Save/keep coffee table ideas, so you are ready when the time comes.

• PRO
    DANE AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN Boston & Cambridge
    9か月前

It seems like you have some really good pieces so far. We might just suggest you add some more seating via some chairs, add a plant in the open area by the staircase, and hang some great art over the fireplace. Notice, in the first picture, how we have a chair flanking the TV area and facing the other seating? This might work for your space.

Luxury Loft · 詳細

Alloy Penthouse: Living Room · 詳細

Leather District Loft · 詳細

• Roman K
    質問の投稿者
    9か月前

@RoomDesigner AI 

I do appreciate the minimalism. Not going to do another fireplace but I like the calmness of the room in your rendering.

PR