Houzz Logo Print
charlotte_cooper30

What would you do with this bathroom?

I’ve purchase a house with this very small family bathroom. It’s shiny, chrome, grey/beige. A B&Q bathroom I think which is pretty much brand new. It’s lovely if that’s your taste but unfortunately it isn’t mine. I really don’t know what to do with it. I’m thinking…

1. Have a new bathroom fitted. If so, what would be the best layout for such a small room? We need to keep a bath in there somewhere.

2. Give it a DIY glow up. Paint the tiles, cover the floor/cupboards and make do with the layout. Would this even be possible? I can’t fathom how I could paint the tiles as they’re so shiny and have chrome edging. Partner says we could cover the floor with vinyl but I’m worried that would all look quite cheap & nasty.

3. Do nothing. People have suggested I’m silly for changing anything as it’s a perfectly suitable brand new bathroom but it’s really not my taste.

Pictures attached showing layout, current bathroom and ideas of what style I like.

コメント (13)

• Charley Stan
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Just to clarify I’m fully aware the bathrooms I like would not fit in this bathroom. I’m just showing the type of style I like for if I could DIY it - think whites/creams, matte black, wood, natural materials etc.

• PRO
    Cotterpine
    昨年

In my personal opinion, that might not please you, i would say... Do nothing

I mean... At least for now. You can still start a plan and browse ideas for when a big bathroom renovation can take place but, being already a new fitted and useful bathroom.... what's the real rush to spend money and time for changing a place that you might use few minutes a day? 

I would suggest you to play a bit with the add-ins... Maybe some green and bamboo around? A big cosy bath mat? A wooden ladder for towels? 

Pick couple of featured colourful things that will take your eyes attention when you step in, keep it simple

• Helga Irvine
    昨年

It looks quite practical.

Replacing shower screen with more interesting shower curtain would make it less so.

Perhaps a stick on design for shower screen?  Risk it looks tacky.

Looks like you left with soft furnishings to add interest

• sarh123
    昨年

To get a less glossy look I reckon the tiles would have to come off and walls plastered, so I also think that styling it is the answer. Roman blind,plants, nice bath rug (look like woven rug -john Lewis, Anthropologie)), stick up some small pictures. If the big glass cabinet above the sink hasn’t damaged the walls too much perhaps remove that and replace with stylish mirror and some open shelves.

• Sandra Marshall
    昨年

I would have as many plants as possible. Really wouldn’t change it. It’s so small that clean and functional is fine. You will stop noticing after 3 months

• siobhanmcgee90
    昨年

Your bathroom is actually very acceptable as is. 🤗The placement of the bath and storage make the space feel a little pinched. Place the bath along the window wall, loo on left ( I know people have an issue seeing the loo directly but don’t we all know a bathroom has one 😜), build in recesses for toiletries at the end of bath and sink and storage to the right. This is a pretty big job as plumbing needs to move.

• tamp75
    昨年

I think the main issue it the sameness of the colouring all over and the clinical feel because of tiles everywhere. However, I wouldn’t overhaul it completely yet. Some wood-effect LVT flooring would break up the colouring, along with some wooden shelving & as others have said, several plants. White towels somewhere, or even another colour & you could possibly change the shower screen to make that area seem a bit more open.

• Sandra Marshall
    昨年

Just remembered that I recently replaced some of my kitchen doors. I used the kitchen Door Company. They provide bespoke doors that are well made and cheap. If you swapped the shiny beige for a Matt green, it would get towards the look you want, for a couple of hundred pounds. And they are made in England by a workers cooperative. Not connected honestly, I was really impressed!

• move435
    昨年

You can get a stencil for the terrazzo look apparently, though I have not seen it done in person, check etsy. You could perhaps leave the shower/bath area as it is and paint the tiles in the remainder so not much beige? Change the sink tap and maybe a new sink unit and mirror instead of the cabinet. I agree in the open shelves too with plants. Perhaps try and accessorise in your style first and see how it looks then.

• Helga Irvine
    昨年

I find beige uninspiring too.

But it seems to be a colour that does not jar with lots of other people

- that's why builders use it!

That means the majority will think it is OK, or even nice!

It is a very nice and practical bathroom in so many other ways.  I think it will grow on you as you clean it.

Bathroom Art to personalise?

• Mark McDoe
    昨年

Because the bathroom is small, I think you need to purchase some space saving cupboards to maximise the space you have.

• PRO
    Pearlosa
    昨年

As much as you probably don't want to hear this, I would highly recommend sticking with this bathroom until you are ready to do a complete refurb. It's a decent bathroom and sometimes, it's nice to live in the space to find out what you actually need. This normally happens when you have to live with something you don't actually want to. Once you've lived in it, you will get more ideas on the 'must haves' in your future ideal bathroom. Many clients have tried and tested this method, and honestly say that this is the best decision they made by not rushing into things. In the meantime, add plants and perhaps, a bathmat to your taste.