Houzz Logo Print
webuser_103790202

Thoughts on the front of my home

HouzzUser-103790202
昨年
最終更新:昨年

I recently purchased this lovely chicago bungalow. At first i was not impressed with the dormer addition, but the amount of space it gave me upstairs was amazing.

Im looking for ideas and thoughts to give the front more curb appeal. Or make it look authentic

one thought i had was to add shutters and a window box on the second floor and acknowledge the durch colonial top

コメント (6)

• User
    昨年

Since your neighbors have similar I don’t think it looks inauthentic.

Somewhere down the road I might paint it a dark dull green and tone down the trim. In the meantime, I would keep the plantings low or arranged in a way that doesn’t obscure the decoration in the brick. I’d replant the roses (if it won’t kill them) to the other side of the bed.

How about some impressive planters to each side of the front steps? And leave the porch ledge empty.

• HouzzUser-103790202
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thanks i actually thought about painting the siding. i did move my planters the other day in terms of the plantings, most of it will stay low to display the white diamond i think if i move the rose bush it might kill it its been there for years

• decoenthusiaste
    昨年

Plant more roses.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    昨年
    最終更新:昨年

Congrats on your new house.

The addition did, in fact, give you a lot more room.

Architecturally it's pretty inappropriate - and there's nothing that can be done to fix that. That's the wrong roof style, the wrong scale and the wrong windows. You can't make that look "authentic". It is what it is at the at this point. Your neighbors have similarly made changes over time that weren't keeping with the style of the house - so your house isn't an odd-man-out. I'm not saying all that to make you feel bad about your house - but people really do need to understand that design integrity is a thing -- and should be understood before making significant changes to a structure.

Besides the addition, the thing that jumps out at me is the bare minimum of landscaping in your yard and those around you. The additional planters and such help, but I'd look for a professional landscape designer to do a masterplan for your yard. Then you could execute on that plan as you have time / funds. If you could find someone to do that for under $1,000 it would be well worth it.

Ideally that plan would take into account your actual ability and willingness to maintain things. An overly elaborate plan is a disaster if it's not maintained. It's possible to create plans that are simple, and still very well designed.

• PRO
    User
    昨年

I would beef up the window trim to match the first floors.

• felizlady
    昨年

It’s a cute house that plays well with its neighbors of a similar style. It seems that you gave the grass more water and remulched and added some more plants. I’d investigate putting a window box below the upper triple window, paying special attention to how it would drain….you don’t want dirty water to stain the area under the window. I’m not one who would suggest artificial plants in a windowbox. I might consider adding a bit more trim around the front door so it appears more well-proportioned next to the living room window. Then I would put two gray pots (like the upstairs paint color) on the two stair walls. Again, drainage could be an issue, so consider saucers either matching the pots or matching the tops of the stair walls.