Houzz Logo Print
webuser_190347191

What color replacement windows (other than white) would look good?

I really wanted black replacement windows but contractor has said my options are basically white, tan or brown. He did offer to wrap the frame in black, but I cant visualize that on a window that isnt black. The house is brown vinyl with charcoal steel roof and vinyl shutters. The lower shutters will be removed, and we‘re installing faux stone panels in stacked rock look (Desert Sunrise color). Hoping to add a portico or porch of some kind at some point also.

Any advice for what color replacement windows to go with?

コメント (10)

• happyleg
    昨年

I agree above but unless you really want the stone it's up to you my neighbor has it it looks nice and paint the gutter going down the house the same color as the paint it makes it disappear

HouzzUser-190347191さんはhappylegさんにお礼を言いました
  • millworkman
    昨年

"but contractor has said my options are basically white, tan or brown."

Did you ask why? What brand is he proposing to you? Many come in black.

• Jilly
    昨年
    最終更新:昨年

I would use the tan or brown, to blend in better and look more cohesive. White looks stark.

But … if you like the windows being the focal point, white.

I like the stone idea, looks good on these:

A landscape update would look nice, too!

Is this the stone?

The original split levels used a variety of materials on homes. A few examples here (this is fun to look through):

https://clickamericana.com/topics/home-garden/see-125-vintage-60s-home-plans-used-to-build-millions-of-mid-century-houses-across-america

HouzzUser-190347191さんはJillyさんにお礼を言いました
  • HouzzUser-190347191
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thanks for the photos! That does look like the stone we are going with. I dont want the windows to be a focal point—maybe we really should consider losing the shutters. And I really don’t want white windows, so I’m leaning toward the brown.

We just did the landscaping (it’s still a work in progress.)

But, compared to before, its such an improvement 😂

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    昨年

IMO get a different contractor there are lots of choices for black windows and IMO if that is what you want insist on themThose windows should not have shutters and even less so with the new much more modern landscaping I do not think the fake stone would be an improvement since IMO it needs to go all the way around the foundation walls if you do it A new fron door and a new color for the siding if you go black windows .

• kandrewspa
    昨年

If the brown window color doesn't match your siding you will be stuck having to paint the siding, so make sure they're a match or a complement before you go in that direction.

HouzzUser-190347191さんはkandrewspaさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    User
    昨年

I would get color samples because "tan" and "brown" can mean a lot of different things. I would decide between the two based on how well they coordinate with your siding and proposed stone. Also, nearly every window company offers black. I would push back and ask more questions regarding window brands if that's what you really want. However, I think black windows would look too harsh on your home.

HouzzUser-190347191さんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • decoenthusiaste
    昨年
    最終更新:昨年

I think the contrast between your gravel mulch and the stone could be an issue. Stone may also recess the windows more than you'd expect. I would go with masonry paint (Romabio) all around if it is cheaper. Stone can be done later if you're not happy with paint. I think a bit more landscaping will camouflage the foundation better.. Emphasize the front door with color and simplify the windows. Are they to be vinyl and how paintable are they? Major paint companies do make appropriate paints for non-wood installations that would work if you want to change to black. Be aware that making changes to the original finish on the windows may invalidate the warranty.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    昨年

Bronze Slider Windows

PR