Houzz Logo Print
kate_vannemanscheidler

Layout Assistance: Entryway/Living Room

K VS
昨年

Hello - we are looking for some layout assistance for our small apartment. The front door opens immediately into the living area which is essentially a large rectangle. Any suggestions on how best to layout the couch, coffee table and TV? If we put them against each wall (parallel to the kitchen area) the TV is super far away... I think there are probably creative ways to split up the space but am lost! TIA!

コメント (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    昨年

Can you post a to scale floor plan of the space those pics do not really give a feel for how much space you have. I assume that is a coat closet on the left of the door? Where do you plan the TV if it is going in there you maybe start with that placement and also any furniture you are bringing with you .Make sure the drawing shows all windows doorways where those doorsways lead and what is next to this space too. All measurements clearly marked and make sure the drawing can be enlarged .

• felizlady
    昨年

A measured drawing of the floorpan and listed measurements of the largest furniture items will help us come up with a plan.
    Have you considered purchasing an area rug or two to designate the living space and a dining area? Develop an arrangement for the living space. Is there a cable which must be attached to your TV and/or assorted components? Do you need a desk/office? When someone enters your apartment, a comfortable sitting area is welcoming. A rug large enough to hold at least the front feet of all of your living room furniture pieces would be recommended. Is the black door the entry? There seems to be a dining area beyond the kitchen? A round table may be the logical shape there. If you have a rectangular table for dining, you could place it there unless it’s too large. Again, a measured drawing would be helpful. I see only one window which would request a window treatment.

• K VS
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thanks all - working on getting the measurements. Will do my best to provide a scaled drawing. This is a place just for one person, maybe two with a roommate.

• Entry is the black door.
    • This is a new place so all furniture is to be purchased. There is a coffee table that is available for use (pictured) but doesn't need to be used in the space if it doesn't work.
    • There is definitely not enough room for a dining table, so it would really just be a living space.
    • Do not need a desk in this space either.
    • Yes there will be cables that are required for the TV - good call.

In a pervious set-up there was couch against the long "back" wall, and then a TV against the short wall next to the coat closet. But it felt really awkward, a lot of empty space between the couch and TV. Wondering if it would be awkward if the couch floated in the middle of the room? But that would potentially leave some awkward space behind the couch... but maybe we could put a small table against the wall then. Or maybe if the couch was bigger or L shaped it would fill the space more? It is an awkward space to begin with so we may be limited on options.

• shirlpp
    昨年

Where are you going to put the TV? On the long wall? This will help determine furniture placement.

• K VS
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Open to suggestions.

• cubby14
    昨年

TV on the long wall with a long low console below it. Couch facing tv floating in the room to start. Once we get the measurements it will be easier to advise. Just don't make the TV too high.

• PRO
    Jill Nelson Design Service
    昨年

Cute apartment. Your options are limited, I would put the tv on the long wall where it has been before. Float the couch in front of the tv anchoring it with an area rug. There also may be room for a occasional chair, and a table behind the couch, functioning as an entry table. The scale of your furniture is very important, the current coffee table is too big. Shop apartment size furniture, most major brands carry this special size for small spaces such as yours. Good luck with your new place!

• hu818472722
    昨年

It looks as though your cable wires are on the long wall which would make that a good spot for a console and TV and then float a sofa opposite which will need to be apartment sized (maybe even a loveseat depending on the width of this room) and no chaise. An accent chair in the window space to the right of the door and two swivel stools at your counter would create a nice conversational grouping. Small size room strategies seen below such as light colored upholstery, low back on sofa, both console and sofa up on legs so you can see underneath them (visually expands the space) and the clear coffee table all help to give the illusion that a space is bigger than it is. With all the doors and walkways an irregular shaped area rug such as a cowhide may work better with the traffic patterns in this space. Cute space, love the high ceilings!

• shirlpp
    昨年

Your best bet is the long wall. As suggested, float the sofa. Then put a table behind it for dining.

• K VS
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thanks all so much!! This is all super helpful. I was able to get some measurements, but *obviously* this is not to scale and unsure how helpful (clearly not a professional!)

. Really love the suggestions that have been passed along, some great ideas to work with. Thanks!!

• Rawketgrl
    昨年

Thanks for the measurements but they do not make sense, sorry...double check your numbers as i can't get them to add up.... and need a few more measurements along the purple dots...

• shirlpp
    昨年

@Rawketgrl - How are the measurements along the purple dots going to help you, help the OP with furniture layout?

It's a tiny apartment and there is only so much that can be done.

• decoenthusiaste
    昨年

Plan on using the TV connections already in place. Size of TV will determine how far away the couch must be. Start with that and plan on floating the couch in the center of the room at the correct distance from TV with coffee table 12-18" from couch. Hopefully this won't completely block up the space. The bigger the TV the farther away you can sit, so maybe you'll have an excuse to buy a bigger one! Ideal would probably be for couch to sit perpendicular to the wall between the entry and the closet. How far from TV would that put you?

• Rawketgrl
    昨年

shirlpp I tried to create the room on my floorplan app and could not using the given measurements. I need a few more to complete the room and was hoping OP would double check the numbers she gave as they don't add up to create enough of the space to draw the living area out. I think opinion on room layout has been pretty well covered here...but having a picture of the room / floor plan can be helpful for really visualizing how I will use a space/figuring out the scale of furn and walkway traffic flow paths etc... I find a to scale floor plan helps me when I am trying to set up a room, rug sizes, especially if you need to buy furniture... etc...others may have different ways of doing this, that I as not a pro, do not know of.

https://www.godownsize.com/goliath-table-extreme-folding-table/

I lived in a 425 sq foot condo many years ago and one thing I learned was each piece of furniture must be scaled well to the space and the best pieces do double duty... like this console table which turns into a dining table when needed.

• RedRyder
    昨年

A small sofa facing the long wall, as others have suggested. Look for a drop leaf table to put behind it, which can hold a lamp or be pulled out to the center of the room for dining with friends.
    Rooms to Go has apartment sized furniture.
    Here are drop leaf tables. No need to be expensive.