Houzz Logo Print
denise_stanger

Please help with ideas on Fireplace Surround issue!

I was going for a monolithic look on my fireplace surround but my contractor had to put the trim up in four pieces. I feel like the noticeable side seams ruin the look of the fireplace. I have been looking for pencil trim pieces, medallions and even have considered glitter grout on those 4 seams. I would appreciate any ideas. Am I crazy that it bothers me?

コメント (25)

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    2年前

What are you willing to redo? There are very different things happening in the space, the simplest is to just grout.

• denise_stanger
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

The whole fireplace is in the midst of remodel. It’s just those 4 seams that are throwing it off. I wondered about glitter grout to tie in the gold from the mesh screen

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    2年前

I would grout the closest to the surround pieces; what is that material?

• elcieg
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

You would have to buy a slab remnant, have it templated, to install in one piece. Just as would be done for a counter install around a sink. Doubt your contractor has that talent up his sleeve (no offense to him).

• stellarceline
    2年前

I think it looks great and wouldn't worry about it! I am personally a hard no on glitter grout.

• Shasta
    2年前

When I look at it my eye goes straight to the beautiful calacatta herringbone marble. So pretty!

• amanger
    2年前

It looks fine! Seams are not an issue. The tile is the star.

• Patty
    2年前

Forget focusing on the seams (barely noticeable), and focus on that beautiful hexagonal tile surrounding the firebox! And please do not add glitter, it will cheapen the whole look, and I doubt you will be happy, since it will only draw your eye to the seams further.

• nolanirvana
    2年前

Step back and look at it from the seating area. I think once your room is complete and finished you will not notice the seams. I am a no on the glitter grout. That will call more attention to the seams and cheapen the look. Love the herringbone tile.

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    2年前

Paint the wood white you won't notice the seam

• BarbieCalgary
    2年前

Is that quarter round trim running along the base of the fireplace??

• woondogger
    2年前

Those seams? Hardly noticeable. And i agree with others, no to the glitter.

• HouzzUser-820252773
    2年前

I think the grout is fine and this is co from another picky person. Beautiful herringbone.

• Sammie J
    2年前

Glitter grout is going to draw your eye more to the seams, so if you hate them now....

• paddlerchick
    2年前

I think that the wooden mantle is what is distracting. Replace it with stone the same color as the white material with the seams you are concerned with or paint the mantle white. I would replace it because the firebox looks modern. The mantle, from what we can see, not so much.

• Paula Zacher
    2年前

Have you looked into using a metal surround/glass door that you can have made with any size surround (like the size of the surround that you have but it would fit more flush). I would actually consider bringing the herringbone all the way to the edge of the fireplace and then using a simpler overlay mount metal/glass door or mesh without glass, if you prefer. It would give you a sleeker look and you can have it fabricated in any size and any metal...maybe use a pewter or pewter/champagne combo or something that blends in with your tile. Go to Stoll Industries website...look at "Manhattan" or "Totalview" for example. https://www.stollindustries.com/fireplace-products/fireplace-doors/#legacy

• Karen Phillipp
    2年前

Glitter grout is a huge mistake.

• Karen Phillipp
    2年前

I would remove the pencil trim. Clean it out. It won't be missed. The dark dental moulding mantle dates the fireplace. I would paint it the off white to match the marble surround. I am thinking Benjamin Moore Floral White, OC 29? which is a creamy shade that is still white but not beige.Also, you might think of replacing the firescreen to be be a gold, sparkly color? You could use fireproof spray paint. I have done this to my own fireplace in my last house.

• tinyhouse56
    2年前

Glitter grout. Disco ball too? :)

• tinyhouse56
    2年前

Seriuosly though, i think it looks nice the way it is.

• Deni Dickler
    2年前

The surround is great the way it is. I did not notice the seams until you pointed them out. They are functional. Don't change a thing. It's beautiful.

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    2年前

The more obvious question to me is why did they not use that beautiful herringbone mosaic to cover the whole thing? The seams are not nearly are disturbing as the disproportionate pieces that clearly were selected to cover up the black sheet metal on the fireplace face that the tile guys didn't know they were suppose to cover. The only right way to fix it is totally redo the tile and the white surround. We use a thin 1/4" Hardie backer over the sheet metal to prevent cracking at the seams. if possible, use a single piece of backer with no joints.

• Terrie B.
    2年前

The fireplace goes to the strip club. Please no glitter!

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    2年前

I agree with @COASTROAD Hearth & Patio. No reason that white marble should have been there in the first place. A decorative fireplace screen that covers most of that white marble may be a great solution and provide a nice finished decorative touch.

Can you do us a favor and take a picture from further away so we can see the entire fireplace wall floor to ceiling, or at least the entire mantel. It might help is with our recommendations.