Houzz Logo Print
shahpuja

Modern Stair Railing- replace or paint- Keeping costs down.

Puja Shah
2年前
最終更新:2年前

Hi, we are redoing our main floor which included updating out 70s modern open stairs with glass railing. I love the glass but not the posts. I feel like the post dates them. The plan is to update the carpet treads to wood and paint the stringer black. Should I replace the railing to a custom metal railing or just paint it black?

With covid, our costs have gone out of whack and I would like to manage them but also don't want to regret not having taken care of when the whole house was under construction.

Attaching some rough computer generated image of the current railing in white and if I paint it black without replacing them.

Thank in advance for your help!

コメント (14)

• cat_ky
    2年前

I agree with above, paint them black. Make sure you use a good quality paint, since you are also painting the banister, and they are subject to wear.

• erinsean
    2年前

I like black railing with the black front door trim.

• ci_lantro
    2年前

I prefer the white stair stringer & handrail with the black door. Too much black gets oppressive, IMO.

• barncatz
    2年前

Black works well.

• Moore4
    2年前

black is great, looks crisp and modern

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2年前

I think it looks like a commercial staircase if you leave it, black or white.

Isn't there a less expensive option?

If not, then painting out the railing to black would look better. maybe once you get the wood treads in and paint the stringer black, it will look better?

Doesn't look like you have a large run to do. have you priced out any of these?

I just think the squared off railing looks more modern than the current one.

what color stain on the treads are you doing?

a natural like these?

Or a warmer tone:

I love this wood tone (and the thick treads) w/the black

even these darker wood tones look good w/the black.

do you have to have the glass? I think any of these are a nice option

• Melissa L
    2年前

What an awesome design! can you retread and paint as the retread dictates?

• Puja Shah
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thank you all! I was able to find a railing contractor that can do it for lesser. So now getting a horizontal metal railing. Still undecided on stringer color. Here is the in progress pic and Will post the railing pics after it’s done.

• Puja Shah
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

@beth the treads will be a natural color. It’s a white oak.

• PRO
    Demax Staircase&Railing
    昨年

The black railing is good.

• chachawoman
    昨年

Be sure to post after pictures because I have a similar staircase that I would love to update!

• User
    昨年

Definitely black stringers. The effect is stunning with the black window and door trim . Really a beautiful home ! c

• Puja Shah
    質問の投稿者
    昨年

Thank you @trailrunner!

PR