Houzz Logo Print
dawn_sb

Would built-in upper and lower cabinets look bad next to a fireplace?

Dawn
2年前

I hate shelves because I have nothing to put on shelves. My fireplace has 2 indented areas next to it to put in a built-in base cabinet and 4 floating shelves (that's the norm in the neighborhood). Can I put lower and upper cabinets or would that look bad? Thank you.

コメント (7)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2年前

I see not point in the uppers if you don't need display or storage I like those to have art hung above the lower cabinets thats it,

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

Don't do built in cabinets next to the fireplace. Select cabinets that are more interesting.

If you require cabinets for more storage maybe consider a free standing cabinet like these below.

• mimimomy
    2年前

Freestanding furniture in a style consistent with your existing decor, with nice artwork above. Need not be 100 % symmetrical as long as it is balanced. I used to love built ins. I've kind of gone in the other direction on that over the years :)

• Maureen
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

Do you require it all closed in due to storage needs or because decorating shelving seems hard? They will close in the room and could feel a sterile.

Vs

As mentioned by others, adding a low cabinet/art is an easy way to go. But if you prefer a built-in look, you don’t need a ton of accessories. Find inspiration and copy.

Another idea.

• Dawn
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thanks all. The extra storage would be nice and I just don't like opened shelves with stuff on them. I was told it was better for resale so we will stick with the opened shelves. This is what the shelves look like in another house but mine will be white.

• PRO
    FinelyBuilt LLC
    2年前

Lowers aare good as you can put decorative items sitting on top or art above.

This is adjacent to stone fireplace.Stickley Style bookcase by Finelybuilt

Stickley built in · 詳細

• cej22
    2年前

I think it can look good and wouldn't hesitate to do it if that's your preference. The norm in the neighborhood doesn't matter a bit.