Houzz Logo Print
webuser_690561559100

baseboard height

M B
2年前

Am I going to regret the builder’s standard 4” baseboards? Should I go to 5 1/4?

Ceilings are 9’. Here is a recent photo of our living room.

コメント (14)

• PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    2年前

You may want to look at the higher baseboard given the ceiling height. Just FYI, there are several resources that would note the height of baseboard vs ceiling height if you are following a more traditional proportion system to use as a starting point-

You don't have to use the profiles show-I have had luck with simpler beads and reveals for a modern look, but the proportion of the pieces to the whole is a key part-for example the 5 1/2" tall trim is broken down to have about a 1 part cap moulding to a 4 part base board.

• M B
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thanks. We are choosing a very simple profile.

• M B
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Here is the simple profile we want, with no cap

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2年前

We install 5 1/4" base in homes with 9' ceilings. That's the height derived from classical proportions. It's definitely more pleasing to the eye.

• Caroline Hamilton
    2年前

We have 9' ceilings in our home and 5 1/4" baseboards. It looks more proportional.

• maddielee
    2年前

How much space is there under the window after its trimmed out?

• J Sk
    2年前

51/4 inch baseboard, 9 ft ceiling

• cpartist
    2年前

9' ceilings on the second floor and we have 7" baseboards (actual size)

• M Riz
    2年前

My ceilings are 12’ but I have 7” baseboards in your profile and they are beautiful.

• Emily
    2年前

I agree with others, definitely go with the 5-1/4". You will regret the 4", IMO, with 9' ceilings.

• PRO
    Metamorphosed
    2年前

I agree with everyone voting 5 1/4" base boards with a 9' ceiling. Will be so much better visually than 4"

• anneemae
    2年前

My baseboards look exactly like yours, with quarter-round at the base, and they are 7 1/2" with 9' ceilings.

• shead
    2年前

Yes, you will regret it. We used 5.25" in areas with 9' ceilings (and even 8' upstairs) and used 7.25" in areas with 10' ceilings. I can't imagine using less than 5.25".

• love2browse
    2年前

I'd use larger trim around doors and windows too!

PR