Houzz Logo Print
emily_lindley

Exterior porch "missing" but would like to add one

Hello,

We are renovating our home and it has come down to the wire. I have to make a decision regarding our front porch or lack of one! It was built with a small concrete stoop and then the rest of it was filled in with gravel. Nothing grows there and it looks terrible.

The pictures are of what it looks like right now. Originally, we wanted to deck over all of it - including concrete- and put the vents under the deck. I was given an idea (from houzz) to purchase metal grates to put over the vented area - dryer vent, hot water heater and seldom used basement bathroom. The builder is concerned that the deck level will be too close to the door threshold and water (snow/ice) could become an issue. I was also offered the idea of putting patio pavers there and going over the existing concrete with the pavers. All would be same level but the patio would have to come off of the house approximately three inches so it would appear to be "floating." This would prevent moisture and debris from being trapped which could cause the sill to rot. It wouldn't be very obvious. Would you deck it or put a paver porch in? Two different levels such as a patio on the ground and then leave the stoop? I really don't know what to do. The other thing to consider is that with a wider porch the posts could increase in size and not look like two toothpicks holding up the roof. We would add a third post if we had an entire porch.

Anyone else been in such a conundrum?

Please share any photos for reference if you have them. Thank you so much for listening and helping.

コメント (12)

• cat_ky
    2年前

Personally, since you have the option to do so, I would definitely go with the full porch.

Emily Lindleyさんはcat_kyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sharon Fullen
    2年前

You’re on the right track with a nice full porch. A great addition to a plain front.

Emily LindleyさんはSharon Fullenさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Jacob Roofing
    2年前

I see everything is okay .... full porch supported

Emily LindleyさんはJacob Roofingさんにお礼を言いました
  • decoenthusiaste
    2年前

Full porch; no decking materials though, if that is what you're referencing when you say "deck."

Emily Lindleyさんはdecoenthusiasteさんにお礼を言いました
  • KW PNW Z8
    2年前

What’s not to love about a porch? Everyone wants a porch on their home! i would also vote for a single level porch & stoop = bigger porch. Another post is practical & adds a nice detail feature

Emily LindleyさんはKW PNW Z8さんにお礼を言いました
  • Emily Lindley
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thank you all for the advice. I should clarify that what I am concerned with is covering up the vents and concrete. Has anyone done this? The concern is about trapping moisture and that the wood will rot over the concrete and the vents. We already decided to put large grates over the vent holes to help the heat and moisture escape. Yes, we would use either wood or a composite deck material with a picture frame border. We wouldn't need a rail system but would consider it to add interest to the front of the house. I'll see if I can get a decent photo of the house and add it later.

• Nidnay
    2年前

Full front porch would be great, but why wood? I would not use decking material in the front of the house. Why not stone (which you could also tie into the walkway). In any case, you can always extend the venting by running it under the porch where it would blow out in the front of whatever porch material you use.

Emily LindleyさんはNidnayさんにお礼を言いました
  • Julie Praus
    2年前

I would extend both ducts to the outside rim of you new deck. If one is for a gas fired water heater it vents too close to the windows right now. If you are in a cold climate, insulate both ducts and enclose each joist space to prevent rodent damage. Building the deck over the concrete stoop isn’t a problem if you use treated or rot resistant lumber and the stoop is protected from frost heave (as needed for your location).

Emily LindleyさんはJulie Prausさんにお礼を言いました
  • 3onthetree
    2年前

The position of the holes for your WH direct vent and dryer vent (which are bored through the rim joist) looks like it would interfere with the top surface of the existing stoop. And raising it with decking or pavers still looks awfully close for the PVC and hood for the dryer. And then you would need to continue the vents below a deck to the front fascia, or through the base infill of a paver porch to poke through it's kneewall (I don't think you can just let them discharge through a grate on the surface of a new porch floor, whatever height and material that winds up at).

So I can't envision how anything can be raised there next to the stoop, it probably needs to remain at grade. Here is a snapshot of some direct vent clearances:

Emily Lindleyさんは3onthetreeさんにお礼を言いました
  • Emily Lindley
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

My concern with extending the vents is that we live in southern Wisconsin where it can get dang cold. I imagine them filling up with frost/ice - insulated or not.

I'm not understanding the dislike of a real wood porch. Ideally I would use concrete but can't. The pavers are my second choice due to the cost and excavation around the house.

• ci_lantro
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

My concern with extending the vents is that we live in southern Wisconsin where it can get dang cold. I imagine them filling up with frost/ice - insulated or not.

Yes

I was given an idea (from houzz) to purchase metal grates to put over the vented area - dryer vent, hot water heater and seldom used basement bathroom.

But you don't want to dump hot, moist air under a wood deck, even with grates.

I was also offered the idea of putting patio pavers there and going over the existing concrete with the pavers. All would be same level but the patio would have to come off of the house approximately three inches so it would appear to be "floating." This would prevent moisture and debris from being trapped which could cause the sill to rot.

Doesn't look like that would work--if you intend to raise the grade of the gravel portion. Because it would (partially) block the vents.

So, it looks like about the only option is a two level patio/ porch. Higher stoop and pavers at grade for the remainder.

PR