Houzz Logo Print
webuser_847407910

Front door color

Drew
2年前

Hello we just bought a home and want go update the color of the front door until we replace it. Any thoughts on what will look good with yellowish brick and stone around entry?

コメント (51)

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Really it seemed outdated to us since it original to the home from 1980’s. But what ideas on color do you think.

• njmomma
    2年前

@Drew I don't even see the door from the picture you posted.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Sorry i put two pictures but the other one isnt showing up. Here is another one.

• njmomma
    2年前

It is a nice looking door! I would give it presence and paint the door and sidelights all one color. I would look for a black brown paint color. Add a indoor outdoor area rug in front of the door if you have room. Large planters filled with ferns in front of the sidelights or to the sides of them.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Ok thanks sounds like it would look great thanks for your suggestionsfestoons.

• PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    2年前

Black

• ptreckel
    2年前

I would paint it a fun color! ORANGE! Closer to a bittersweet color, to draw out the orange tone in the color of the stone. Why not have some fun with it. I wouldn’t paint the side lights(the side windows). I would only paint the door. You are lucky to have that door. Original doesn’t necessarily mean “out dated.” How did those terms become synonymous?). It is a cool door, appropriate to the appearance of your home. Wonderful detail. Keep it.

• Kathy Furt
    2年前

Sherwin williams Black Fox, or gauntlet grey! Both would work with your stone!

• chloebud
    2年前

I like the suggestion of black. It would be nice with your light fixture (needs to be larger) and other black accessories (planters, larger rug, etc.)

• decoenthusiaste
    2年前

Bittersweet or ochre.

Beechwood Farms · 詳細

• S Mil
    2年前

I recall a number of 1980’s builds having plain inexpensive metal exterior doors that created faux architectural detail with inexpensive plastic moulding . When attached the moulding created the look of panels.
    I wonder if that is the case with your door. If so, your comment about it being outdated and in need of an upgrade would be accurate. Without seeing the whole of your house, I cannot say if the style is appropriate - it might be. If the door does have faux detail, you can certainly do better and should get something to your liking.

• homechef59
    2年前
    最終更新:2年前

Here is the good news. Paint is cheap. Start with sanding, caulking and priming the door and surround. Success is all about the prep work.

If you get the paint color wrong, you can change it.

That orangey red color that decoenthusiaste posted is fun, fun, fun. While I might go with the more conservative, black brownish combo, I like that pop of bright orangey red. What fun!

Change out the lighting fixture with some thing like this:

ELK Lighting Braddock 4-Light Outdoor Sconce, Bronze/Seedy · 詳細

Add some black brown planters with seasonal flowers and a nice entry rug to complete the look.

• btydrvn
    2年前

Post a picture of the “whole” house from the street…as it is not clear how much of the entry shows from the street….it looks like the stone offers enough bright color … but what ever color choose it may need more of the door color added elsewhere …

• User
    2年前

I think your door is really cool and just needs fresh paint and new hardware, and a new sconce next to it.

can we see a more zoomed out picture of the door with its surroundings? and also a pic of the whole house? my instinct would be to paint it black like others mention. soft black. or if you wanted to go softer, warm grey. but I can't really tell unless I can see more.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Heres one i got on my phone we wanted put a dark wood grain garage door and same for the front door. Thinking is would contrast good with yellow brick. and the front porch originally had like a pergola like set up where the yellow wavy roof oanels are.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

This is a newer one any thoughts???

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

we like the larger light suggestion and the planters sound nice also. We just really want to give it some appeal.

• Sharon Fullen
    2年前

Dark chocolate brown (has red undertone) or Java (dark brown/black) either would look good.

• Kathy Furt
    2年前

That’s the Black fox on 2 different doors

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thats pretty i see what u mean black would look nice also.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Im shocked how many people like the 1980’s door!

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

This is a new door idea we thought looked pretty.

• sailaway2013
    2年前

In my opinion, because the door is set back and not very visible from the front it should be painted a bright fun color. I agree with others who recommend and Orange-red color. I always paint my front doors red, just vary the shade to match the rest of the house. A new larger door mat and nice planters flanking the door would also help highlight it. As others have said, paint is cheap so if you get the wrong color the first time you can repaint. Good luck!

• lynne3450
    2年前

It looks more 70s groovy than 80s to me- esp with that stone work! I’d go bold: a sunshine yellow, turquoise, or red-Orange.

• btydrvn
    2年前

The stone looks like an afterthought.. I would try removing it before doing anything else…Also feel like the pergola should be replaced …to get back to the real “bones” of the home…

• thinkdesignlive
    2年前

Whatever color those beams are under your eaves - that’s what your front door should be. And I agree with btydrvn about the pergola. I feel a bold door is wrong on your particular home. The best door might be a new wood stained one with full panel of glass to bring more light

• thinkdesignlive
    2年前

Drew was on the right path but I’d suggest no grilles and more glass on the door. The stone is so visually busy that you need the door to be more background.

Drewさんはthinkdesignliveさんにお礼を言いました
  • Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

The stone was original to home. We found old blueprints. Wished it was all brick. But its still a nice home. It just needs some updating. Maybe remove rock one day.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

but i love all the ideas thanks everyone for your take on our home.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

We thinj they covered up the pergola because of the sun. The front of the home faces all the afternoon sun. But i like the idea of the pergola also. Looked pretty in the blueprints.

• homechef59
    2年前

The new front door that you illustrated is very craftsman in design. You don't have a craftsman house. Sorry, but wrong door for your house. You've got a funky 1970's Brady Bunch type of house. Embrace it.

I'm a firm proponent of accepting the style of a home and respecting it's period. It doesn't mean that you have to be a slave to it. Before you toss out the front door, rehab it and paint. Keep your money in your pocket or use it for another more pressing project like a new roof or HVAC. Those types of things will unexpectedly crop up.

Because it's such a cool design, try to live with it for year. At the end of a year, see how you feel about it. It may grow on you.

Drewさんはhomechef59さんにお礼を言いました
  • Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Yeah i can see what u mean. But we have already had a few of them rocks come off and break. So we may have to change it one day anyways.

• kj s
    2年前

I kind of love your door.

Drewさんはkj sさんにお礼を言いました
  • Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Thanks im not to into the crazy colors. But the dark brown or black would be nice i think. Red is cool but i dont know. my wife always likes red.

• User
    2年前

It just needs some updating.

this entire house is 60s/70s (including the door) and it sounds like you want to turn it into something more traditional. that's fine, but honestly, I think it would look better to choose a door appropriate for this home (or keep and paint the current one). swapping out the door to something more traditional is not going to do a darn thing to "update" this house. just keep and paint the current door now until you're ready to do some massive renos to the stone and siding.

if renos are too far in the future, you could grey wash or whitewash the stone to tone it down. but first things first, I'd go about replacing that old yellowed awning. that and painting the door and trim will make a massive difference to the appearance of that house, and then add a few new accessories.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

yeah we dont want to go crazy yet. We spent alot money on the inside. gutted the kitchen and stuff. We love that color what is it.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

This is the original blue print. u can see how the architect planned for brick but they used the rock instead. And u can see the porch how it was originally.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Yeah i thought it was a cool find. I like how he has it looking for sure.

• ptreckel
    2年前

Drew…I would make a copy of that and have it framed for display in your home. You could do the same for the blueprints, if you have them. Copies, not the originals. I would keep the originals together, in a safe place.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

My dad and i found it behind the cabinet when we were tearing them out.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Yeah we plan on doing that. Thanks for the suggestion. The floor plan was there also.

• User
    2年前

We love that color what is it.

it's photoshop. go to a paint store and look at the greys, pick a few that are warm, and bring home samples!

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Oh ok will do thanks for your help

• Dija wilson
    2年前

Remove the rock and post the door a deep brown with gold undertones.

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

Yeah we want to but not sure what to replace the rock with. And the price will be a factor im sure.

• Kathy Furt
    2年前

Just paint the door for now and love with it for awhile. Put in some nice drought tolerant plants where you got rid of the juniper trees. Take down that metal overhang. Is the siding aluminum or wood?

• Drew
    質問の投稿者
    2年前

vinyl siding.