Houzz Logo Print
dt516

Need SERIOUS help with this crazy fabric in our new house!

dt516
10年前
Just bought this new house. Came with this hideous fabric on the living room walls. Any suggestions? Thought about dying it just not sure if that would work out well...throw us your best ideas...thanks!

コメント (266)

• kitchener64
    10年前
    Growing on me. So much decorating today is blah, but you are the one who has to walk into the room every day. Can't wait to see what you decide.
  • PRO
    Dream Decor Design Studio
    10年前
    I remember this pattern, and I'm not sure which company
    made it, but possibly Waverly or Shumacher.
    http://www.fschumacher.com/collections/designer.aspx
    http://waverly.com/

Regardless, this pattern was attractive in its time, and
    was obviously loved by the clients who purchased it.

I do not know where you live or what your floor plans look
    like, but this pattern is a very large scale pattern. I feel
    that it is just too much for the room(s) and the color scheme
    is more dramatic because of this large scale.

You have a new home and should make it comfortable
    for you and your family. It may grow on you because
    you now have a better appreciation for the design.
    However, my opinion is that you should remove all of
    this design, salvaging in a way to keep all of the fabric,
    drapery, and upholstery together as a unit. This way a
    person who really loves it could purchase and reuse
    it accordingly. If you do not want to sell it, you can
    donate it to Habitat for Humanity, where a deserving
    homeowner could purchase and reuse in their new
    home. http://www.habitat.org

If I were moving into this home, I would look at the
    house as a whole, then clean, prime, paint everything
    White. Take down the window coverings, and just a
    simple white sheer curtain for privacy would work
    until you make a plan for your total decorating look.
    This will include what you plan to keep that you already
    own, and any furnishings you decide to keep from the
    new house (temporary or permanently) and then a
    budget can be made for new purchases.

I do not know how the fabric is applied to the screens
    that are covering the window to the backyard, but
    this window needs to be uncovered to show the view.
    Bring in some sunshine and light. If the panels can have
    new sheer fabric, or another insert like a stained glass
    panel added, you would have a beautiful indoor and
    outdoor area view!

I am showing you examples of the colors I picked out
    of your fabric to illustrate paint colors on the walls after
    the wallcovering has been removed. You can pick
    out any color you want, and paint it over the basic
    white base I suggested above after you have lived in
    the house for a while to decide what you want and
    need to complete your scheme. Your dream, instead
    of someone elses. Your style, and your interests.

I think you would be happier with your own choices,
    and you will enjoy your new home more. If you plan
    to live there for any length of time, I would consider
    how much aging will affect what is currently in your
    new home, especially since it has been there for a
    while.

Find out what is involved for removal and then get
    someone to help you when doing it yourself. If you
    have any questions, please ask. I have renovated
    a lot of older historical homes and it can be an
    education. Have fun. You could start your own
    blog and show how you get it all done, and the
    stages you go through.

Visualization of what your room would look like without
    the wallcovering might be easier with this rendering.

Dianne
  • PRO
    10年前
    Dream On...
  • dt516
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Dream Decor Design: The fabric is growing on us but we think painting could work as well. Spent plenty of money on the house so if we could recoup a small chunk of change for the fabric and make someone else really happy that would be great! So, we would definitely consider selling the fabric.
  • PRO
    10年前
    The picture you have of the Window Panels looked like it was taken at night,
    so I blacked out the window openings to look empty and that it would be
    like looking out at night.

I hope you have a nice and pleasant view to look at; a garden is a blessing!
  • PRO
    10年前
    Also, I almost forgot that in case you need a temporary slipcover to
    deal with all of this, I recommend Sure Fit. They also make pillow
    covers!
    http://www.surefit.net.
    http://www.surefit.net/shop/categories/sofas/?Fit=Relaxed
    dt516さんはDream Decor Design Studioさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ginny Reames
    10年前
    Dt516-all this advise, yet I still have no idea what your favorite style(s) are. Would you post a few of your dream living spaces? I know there may be budget issues since you just bought the home but knowing where you eventually want to be will help. Most styles can be interpreted at a wide range of price.
  • Christina
    10年前
    Strip it all off.
    As you probably know just the clean slate will inspire you to the stye perfect for you.
  • perky49
    10年前
    Deep down you know by now what you really want to do -time to make the decision and just do it. You'll be so relieved to get on with it and finally begin YOUR design process!
  • PRO
    Molto Bene Studios
    10年前
    What a fun thread! My two cents: Pattern on walls is very trendy right now. This room with all the fabric intact could easily be made to look very current, using the suggestions you have received, but you would have to start by actually liking that fabric, not thinking it hideous. Dealing with this is not a DIY. I agree with all the cautions about painting over the fabric without proper preparation because the end result would be hideously splotchy, same with dying. As much as I love chalk paint, which might cover ok, it is NOT CHEAP. You would be spending a surprising amount of money on that option and end up with a particular type of finish (matte, sort of distressed looking) that is not to everyone's taste. The detailing on your walls and curtains makes it a good bet that it was professionally applied and the fabric is a high end material. Donating is a great option if you don't want to go to the trouble of selling it, be sure and get a correct estimate on value of all that fabric and curtains, it sure helps at tax time! Any good painter or wall finisher would be able to give you an estimate for removal that would keep the fabric mostly intact and ready to be sold or donated and he could probably help you there and then with the scary step of lifting up a corner and seeing how bad the walls are underneath. In summary, I recommend you get some quotes from pros for removal asking them to keep as much of the fabric as they can intact so you can recover some of your cost and decorate to your taste.
    dt516さんはMolto Bene Studiosさんにお礼を言いました
  • dt516
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    We are leaning towards selling the fabric if we find someone interested. If not, we will most likely take down the shades, etc...and maybe put up some bookshelves against the busy wall or do the wainscoat thing. Anyone know how we can identify this fabric? Will ask the owner at closing if she knows what it is.
  • apple_pie_order
    10年前
    If you post a photo of the fabric taken face on, one or two full repeats, it can be identified more easily by the pros. Show a coin or include a finger for scale. Sometimes google image search works, too.
  • beeloved
    10年前
    I expect this was such a big investment and a labour of love at the time, that the owner will remember what it's called and who makes it. Per apple-pie, a better 'fabric only' picture will make it easier to identify.
  • dt516
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Ya I will take a better pic next time I am in the house (have not closed yet so don't have routine access).
  • Findmelater
    10年前
    A wet rag with some fabric softener and 10'' scrapper perhaps?lol..Sorry.Ive delt with my fair share of scraping wall paper,its not fun.I've read a few ideas some people have written,perhaps you should just go with it??Throwing up half '' board throughout might save you some headaches,not money of course..Its been my experience that fabric wall paper can come off 2 ways..One..it could come off quit nicely in panels or stripps by pulling it,the fabric and thread help keep it together and two,it could leave threads everywhere,and in that case a few coats of taping mud and a sand and you could have fresh new walls..Good luck with your decision!
  • gypsyrose17
    10年前
    I agree with beeloved above, and want to add: Please don't hurt the owners' feelings...I can tell they were very passionate about their design...and to tell you the truth...it has grown on me:)
  • beeloved
    10年前
    I'm sure you'll be the soul of diplomacy with the owners and they will be happy to tell you all about it. And once you get your hands on it officially, you can get to one of the selvedges easily and that will solve the mystery. And I have a suspicion that after reading this discussion for several days now the fabric is starting to grow on you. Even if you take it all out, I think maybe you'll keep enough to wrap a stretcher frame and hang it somewhere as DIY art......... This one has really been fun and I've learned a lot. Looking forward to the continuing transformation here and in the kitchen, too.
  • dt516
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    For those who wanted another shot of the fabric. Will have a higher resolution shot tomorrow. Believe it or not this is a large round tablecloth we found in the closet.
  • User
    10年前
    A tablecloth? The previous owners went all out!
    dt516さんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • RosemaryR
    10年前
    Wow, you can keep that as a homage.
  • PRO
    User
    10年前
    最終更新:10年前
    Rent a steamer!!
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10年前
    Where else is this fabric hiding? LOL
    dt516さんはLB Interiorsさんにお礼を言いました
  • dt516
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Hi res shot for those who want to try and identify this fabric! Couldn't find the name behind the curtains.
  • dt516
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Oh, and I made it my wallpaper on my smartphone background!!
  • druesig
    10年前
    I think it looks like...kitchen!!! Sorry.
  • adhp
    10年前
    I actually don't think it's that terrible. I'm not sure what your style is, but I definitely think that if you design around it and allow it to take center stage it could be a very interesting addition. Like Amy Wax said, I'd pick a color out of it a(I'd go for a light olive I think) and do the rest of the room very minimal with clean lines. I actually like the chairs that were in front of it in the first pic. Some asian elements to the room will help it out. I would definately take down the curtains, but I might use the fabric from them somewhere else in the room, a pillow on a neutral toned couch maybe. It's a visually commanding accent wall, to be sure, but I love that it's unique, and I think you can make it work!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10年前
    I am following the thread with such interest. I have seen that fabric and it i high end. I like that look, but I can understand why it looks overwhelming to you.

The problem seems removal. Could you do something on this idea? Spaced as you want?
    Living Room, Deep Water Bay · 詳細
  • PRO
    All About Looks
    10年前
    Take it off! And then if the walls are dented and unperfected pick a new wallpaper that is textured and it'll hide all those imperfections!
  • losthorizonlisa
    10年前
    I still love the fabric. I mixed black chinnosier fabric with French country pine furniture, Chippendale chairs, botanicals, classic and Louis xvi arm chairs, simple white linencurtains and in one room the green complimented and in the other, glen ridge gold made it a bright cheery space to be. My tastes were influenced by worldly travelled foreigners...there's an old world rich feel to this fab.
  • Jolene
    10年前
    Annie Sloan paint is great but a fortune. Maybe same in price to just remove it.
  • craljh
    10年前
    Still no conclusion to this dilemma ?
  • dt516
    質問の投稿者
    10年前
    Got a piece of fabric from the owner. On the bottom it is labeled Savalux. Will take pic of label. Anyone hear of this?
  • apple_pie_order
    10年前
    Now we are getting some history: http://digital.hagley.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15017coll5/id/42403/rec/15

Apparently Dupont Savalux was the dyestuff, not the fabric maker.
    dt516さんはapple_pie_orderさんにお礼を言いました
  • hollywaterfall
    10年前
    I found this by googling. It is also from a newspaper (1965): DuPont Savalux* fabric collection 2.4» yd. The most significant use of color and design characterize this collection of decorative fabrics. Thanks to the exquisite color palette of DuPont Savalux® dyes, a clarity and vitality of color has been achieved. Savalux 1 ® fast colors are premium dyes carefully selected by DuPont for the ultimate in fastness. Fabrics carrying the Savalux® name are tested by DuPont to make sure they give you the highest degrees of colorfastness attainable. Capture the colors of spring with draperies and slipcover* made to your order. Diamond's'Shop at Home service brings you new ideas, new fabrics, new colors for draperies, slipcovers end reupholstery. For an appointment at your convenience call Thomas Mall, 959-4400, Ext 387 or Park Central, 279-4431, Ext. 322. DRAPERIES
    Maybe google the guy or someone local dealing in antiques that may know about this.
  • User
    10年前
    After looking closely at the hi-res photo, I think this fabric's design would have been totally appropriate in an eating area, something a bit smaller and more enclosed than the room it's in. They really must have loved that print.
  • Susan Cashdollar
    10年前
    Make sure the glue is off the walls after you take to paper down. When you start painting it will glob up and look like your wall is melting! Take from a person who has done it and I had to scrape all the paint off before it dries. It took forever to get all the glue off. Next time I will just take out dry wall and all!;)
  • studio10001
    10年前
    I find it charming, and hope you will take Maison up on their offer of help from last month. Many homeowners struggle to bring interest into barren spaces, - you have an over abundance! You are an excellent candidate for professional guidance, and I urge you in the interest of saving time and money to consult with an experienced hand. I am frankly a bit jealous of the person that might get to bring this into the 21st for you! Congratulations on your new home.
  • sunnie2day
    10年前
    WOW, 1965! I would have thought late 70s-early 80s just from the state of the fabric - still bright, not aged looking. But 1965 - holy moly that fabric is very nearly 50 years old! That says something about the durability of Dupont fabric dyes and the clearly extremely high quality fabric chosen for the print run. Wow!
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10年前
    Is it gone yet? :)
  • apple_pie_order
    10年前
    @dt516: what did you decide to do?
  • kitchener64
    10年前
    Inquiring Houzz minds want to know, please!
  • kitchener64
    9年前
    Still waiting, what did you do?????
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9年前
    Just start over and take it down...it is too much and will drive you and everyone else really nuts! LOL!
  • thickskin
    9年前
    Waiting, waiting, waiting.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9年前
    Old post............
  • PRO
    courtier
    9年前

i would rent a steam machine to take it off

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9年前

OLD POST 2013

• Angel 18432
    9年前

courtier - don't waste yours and our time posting on a 2013 problem. Try a new one.

• sacapuntaslapioz
    9年前

OLD POST 2013 OLD POST 2013 OLD POST 2013 OLD POST 2013

• OldGrayMare
    9年前
    I know it's an old post from 2 years ago...but anybody know what the outcome was??? Arrrrrgh!!!!! HATE to not know.