Houzz Logo Print
kstew77

Is the mirror too small? Help with above fireplace styling

kstew77
3年前

コメント (12)

• Jen Moye
    3年前

I don’t think it’s too small but I think you have too many small things to the left and right. Seems to need more height and color contrast (from the brick background) in your items.

kstew77さんはJen Moyeさんにお礼を言いました
  • Jen Moye
    3年前

Try some taller objects?

kstew77さんはJen Moyeさんにお礼を言いました
  • chloebud
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

For me it's not the best place for a mirror. For one thing, it's reflecting the ceiling and upper wall. I think art, such as in Jen's last example, would be a better fit. I agree with Jen regarding "too many small things." Keeping both a mantel and hearth simple can be calming and nice.

I know this is a completely different style fireplace, but I love the simplicity.

Another one with brick.

• kstew77
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

I am removing the photos. I had a tv above the fireplace and finally removed it after years of knowing it was way too high for viewing. Now I am excited to have a fireplace without a tv but no idea how to style it! It is high so you cannot really even use the mirror so I am thinking either too small of non-useful so may not use it either

• Maureen
    3年前

Height and layering and try resting mirror on mantle.

kstew77さんはMaureenさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3年前

I think your mantle is too thick and too colonial looking. It's a small space between mantle/ceiling, and the current mantle looks too large, and too crowded.

here. almost identical to yours. see the mantle size? and the decor? try that.

his one is very similar to yours, but somehow looks better. maybe it's because the brick is painted . notice the diff type of mantle. even though it's big like yours, it's not that colonial style. it's just a solid square beam. try switching out your mantle style. I also like the open firebox, or the screen like the one in the above pic. (painted black)

I photoshopped it in for you. looks better. remove the tiny family frames.

also, too many knick knacks on the hearth. and the gray color doesn't do much.

try something like this for the hearth,,

in fact, try removing the heavy screen.

here, I photoshopped the above photo w/the better mantle. everything is wonky because I used two diff photos, but it should give you an idea.

the mirror is ok, but it's not my favorite. usually if there is nothing great to reflect, nix the mirror.

See below example of how to do a mirror.

this is my favorite display. I love the simple wood mantle, the mirror, and the vases.

pretend there is brick above this!

these are all fireplaces under shorter ceilings.

kstew77さんはBeth H. :さんにお礼を言いました
  • Valinta
    3年前

I would also coordinate any decor items at the base of the fireplace. A green plant in a colorful pot, candle in a black or bronze lantern, etc.

• chloebud
    3年前

If you stick with a mirror, Beverly's example looks nice. I would also edit the items on the hearth. Kudos to you for no TV over the mantel. 👍🏻

• kstew77
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you all so so much

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    3年前

It looks like all you'd need to do is remove a few items from the mantle. Here is a fireplace design we recently did for a client.

Altadena Modern Farmhouse: Living Room · 詳細

• enajasereht
    3年前

I would rest the mirror on the mantle. The higher ones in the examples shown look good because they are reflecting a pretty light fixture.