Houzz Logo Print
lenak1

Colours for east-facing kitchen/dining room

Lena
3年前

We are planning to start a kitchen renovation project in September, a year later then planned.

A year ago I chose colours for our east-facing kitchen. Now I started having doubts about my chosen blue scheme. I am afraid it would become outdated too soon, as well as the colours could feel cold in our light-starved ground floor. It lacks light during colder months because our back garden is on a steep slope, which effectively cuts the level of natural light by half (see a pic of my garden view below).

I would really appreciate recommendations and opinions on:

1. a suitability of the chosen colour scheme (say, oval room blue + shaded white by F&B)
  2. would one of two laminated floors samples below would work with blue and shaded white?
  3. any relevant tips and suggestions.

コメント (43)

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Samples of a kitchen door + laminated floor

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Floor samples against a wall painted in shaded white

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

A view from a kitchen window

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

The colours I considered so far.

• Jonathan
    3年前

I’m not a fan of pale blue but if it’s your taste then I think you have put together a cohesive look that is pale enough to be fine in a room with little light.

Given a lot of the time electric light may be necessary make sure you give this consideration- I would be thinking of LEDs above and below the wall cabinets, standard lamps and table lights in the living room. And make sure you choose warm white lighting.

Separately if you moved the Barbecue and painted the brick wall opposite the kitchen window this would bounce some light in too

• Juliet Docherty
    3年前

Shaded White is a lovely colour, but I would personally not put it with pale blue. Shaded White contains a lot of yellow (this doesn't mean it looks yellow but it does contain it) and this could clash a bit with very pale blue. If you look up Rebecca Wakefield on Instagram she uses Shaded White a lot and has teamed it with Treron, walnut coloured wood, oak and black elements.

My large lounge is East facing and gets little light in the afternoons. I found that everything looked too yellow/green and that the Skimming Stone/Elephants Breath colours which contain a bit of red were better.

This is Rebecca Wakefield below.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you, Jonathan and Colourhappy! Those are very relevant considerations.
    Oval room blue&shaded white combination was suggested on F&B website, or in one of Joa’s books. I always thought it great to have a second opinion!

• Juliet Docherty
    3年前

Shaded White works better with a deeper blue, rather than a pale blue in my opinion.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you so much, Colourhappy. It turned out I already followed Rebecca Wakefield, most likely on your previous suggestion.

Her kitchen looks lovely and cohesive. The light olive colour might work with India Yellow I already have in the hall...

Just out of curiosity, what shade of blue would work with shaded white, please?

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Yes, Sonia, I started having second thoughts about a cool blue after re-visiting my kitchen plans. I love navy blue and really like blues generally, so tried to envisage it in my kitchen.

I almost had a panic attack a few days ago when someone were asking about their hall, receiving comments that it was too cold.

I recall you having Inchyra blue in the sitting room. It might look lovely with Oval room blue...

• Sonia
    3年前

Lena my living room is Cromarty, not Inchyra, but I did do a post on here asking if Inchyra would go as a feature wall. Everyone said NO, and to leave it Cromarty......so that’s what I did. Even my cleaning lady said I mustn’t paint the kitchen Oval Room Blue.......blimey 😂

• Sonia
    3年前

Saw this devol kitchen in a soft grey with bright yellow walls. It’s a bit cluttered but thought I would share it.

• Juliet Docherty
    3年前

I've got Inchyra and it appears neither warm nor cool because it's deep and quite saturated. Any colour, even orange will cool with lots of white added so I think that as blue reads as coolish to start with then it's the pale blues that can feel a bit chilly. We can't measure colour temperature, it's purely a 'feel' thing.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Sonia, I saw a bright yellow kitchen in my wildest dreams. But I am not so brave. :)))
    Also we possibly will move house in 5-10 years, so I have to be able to sell it.
    I have a sunny yellow bread bin though.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3年前

Hi Lena ! Your kitchen is still on our system- so if you come up with a hand full of favourite colours we can try them on your drawing if you like ?! Just email over the ones you’d like to try ! :-)

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you Karen. I’ll gather them tomorrow. How exciting!

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you, Colourhappy and all, for colour suggestions.
    I received F&B samples of:

1. Treron
    2. Elephant’s breath, Skimming stone, Shaded white
    3. Cinder rose, dead salmon.
  • Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Both my husband and I liked the idea of an olive coloured kitchen units, but found Treron too dark. Also we didn’t figure out yet how to order a kitchen painted in a specific paint on DIY-kitchens website.

However, with our chosen Carrera kitchen comes a standard light olive colour, so we ordered a sample door yesterday.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

I’d really welcome opinions on the kitchen colour above. Also would a combination of light olive green above work with Skimming stone walls and Cinder rose on the opposite wall to the kitchen (it makes it a wall in the dining room).

• Sonia
    3年前

Hi Lena, that picture of the kitchen is a little odd. Is it computer generated rather than a real one? It looks lemon yellow on my screen but that may be my iPad which is rather rubbish with colour. Will be interesting to see what the sample is like.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Sonia, the sample will arrive within a week. I’ll post a picture as soon as I get it.
    Also we arranged a meeting with OnePlan on Tuesday. I’ll post a drawing of our kitchen in that colour when Karen would’ve done it.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

There are pictures of DIY Innova sage kitchens from Houzz

• Juliet Docherty
    3年前

I have deep olive green with Skimming Stone and I love it, but, I wouldn't put light green with it because in my opinion it would clash. This is because value difference (how light or dark something is) works really well with 'opposite' colours, think of dark brown with pale blue grey. When you put two opposite or complementary colours together with the same very pale value it can create a discordant effect. It depends on how saturated and how dark the olive green is. Can you post a photo when you get it?

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you, Colourhappy, I will.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

It started to feel that changing the colour of kitchen units (from light blue I still like) to a different one would be too complicated.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Colourhappy, which white paint would work with the original light blue units, please, if not Shaded white?

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Diy-kitchen’s Cornflower blue looks like F&B Parma gray to me. So a suitable white would be Borrowed light, wouldn’t it?

• Juliet Docherty
    3年前

Have you considered taupe coloured units, something like cashmere? Sorry, I just thought I'd ask. My sister recently did her kitchen with this colour way and it worked really well. @hovehomemakeover on instagram.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you Colourhappy!
    I didn’t consider taupe. I loved your sister’s kitchen on Instagram, but thought it would not be suitable for my quirky (it’s a nice word for awkward, isn’t it? 😂) kitchen.
    However, OnePlan suggested to try it on our plan, and both my husband and I love it after all.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

See the pictures below, courtesy of OnePlan.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3年前

https://panorama.2020.net/view/3igkrjex3ukfkx65vxotgg/

The panoramic... purbeck stone ( cashmere ) cabinets - Eternal Calcutta gold worktops - moles breath feature wall.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

I will be looking into flooring later on. However, I already ordered paint samples of colours complementing to Purback stone. 👏👏👏

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Karen, thank you. I liked Mole’s breath and will put it on a samples board. But I think I might also try and squeeze in my blue wall, or at least see how Oval room blue (suggested on F&B website) work on the opposite wall. I already have a sample.
    Sonia might be pleased that at least someone might be using Oval room blue after all. 😁

• Juliet Docherty
    3年前

Is Cashmere similar to Purbeck Stone? I thought it was a bit redder than that?

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

I think your sister’s Instagram suggested Cashmere. Let me check...

• pmasmith3
    3年前

My new kitchen units are Dove Grey with oak worktops and flood. Purbeck Stone was recommended by F&B shop for the walls and it works really well.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Yep, it was what it said. If it differs slightly, I wouldn’t know the difference. 🥳

• PRO
    Helyer Davies Architects
    3年前

Go F&B 'De Nimes'.....its only paint, go for it!

Holly Hill Lane - Sarisbury · 詳細

• Juliet Docherty
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

My sisters kitchen is Cashmere units, and the wall colour that works with it is Skimming Stone. The tiles are large format that also similar in hue. I would say it looks neither warm nor cool, a really good pleasing neutral that can be accessorised with bronzes, cognac colours etc. I helped her choose the scheme.

• Lena
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Colourhappy, your sister’s colour scheme is very sophisticated and calm. Her whole house looked an absolute beauty 😍
    I really appreciated your suggestions. 🙏🤗💐

• PRO
    DREAMROOM DOORS
    3年前

hello we are kitchen decoration located in china we have a new catalogue fro 2021 we have modern and classic design be free to contact us 008613282012713 its our whatapp account and phone number be free to contact us hndoumoulayzein@yahoo.com its our email address

• PRO
    DREAMROOM DOORS
    3年前

we have all kind of design modern and classic be free to contact us 008613282012713