Houzz Logo Print
webuser_720842557

help me choose a backsplash!

We are currently re-doing our kitchen. We are painting the bottom cupboards black and the upper cabinets white. Our kitchen has an exotic granite and we are trying to determine what backsplash would look best with it.

We’re looking at rectangular white subway tiles, but don’t know if they would mesh well with the granite. Any tips?

white with gray marbled subway tiles
a different color
white subway tiles

コメント (4)

• eld6161
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

You are going in the wrong direction. Your selections do not relate to your granite in any way.

A word about white. A bright white will clash with your granite. You need a creamy white.

I would pull a tan color from the granite for the tile.

Side story: we chose a Giallo Ornamental granite for our white cabinets because my husband hates shopping around and the granite guys exclaimed that EVERYTHING goes with white.

I first put in a white tile. It clashed. We needed a transition from the white to the brown. We found a Gracia Rixi crackle tile in a cream.

• mvcanada
    3年前

I think the tile you've shown above does not go at all with your counters. If you want a backsplash like that, I think you'd need to consider changing out the counters as well as painting the cabinets.

I like the black base cabinets but I think you may want to consider a creamy colour for the uppers, rather than white. I don't think white is going to play well with your counters.

Here is a link to an article on Benjamin Moore off-white colours.

I'm thinking something like Ballet white - OC-09.

Ballet White OC-9 | Benjamin Moore · 詳細

And then for backsplash, a slightly darker colour, closer to the lightest colour in the granite.

Here are some options, but you could look at other shapes of tile as well.

This one may be too grey but the shape and handmade look is quite nice and a little different from just a rectangular shape.

gb-tleqmyrkblue4x4.jpg (910×910) · 詳細

This may be too dark, but a longer narrower tile is nicer than the traditional 3 X 6 subway tile.

Beige & Cream Subway Tiles, Ceramic, Porcelain & More · 詳細

Another choice, again a handmade look with a bit of a wavy finish.

Ceramic Subway Tiles & Small Format Tiles | TileBar.com · 詳細

Stick with a grout colour close to the colour of the tile. You've got a lot of colour and pattern in the counter, I wouldn't add more colour by using a contrasting grout.

Consider other shapes too, like an elongated picket.

I'm having trouble getting pictures to load, but here is a link to Tilebar and a shape they call Jewel. That could be quite pretty.

But before you install a tile backsplash, remove the 4" granite splash that you have there now.

Also, since your counters are dark and the bases are dark, I think you should consider some undercabinet lighting if you don't have it already. It will make quite a difference to the whole kitchen and help with task lighting as well.

And when you're painting, consider new hardware as well.

Good luck with your project.

• suezbell
    3年前

Would not paint the upper cabinets white, especially not with white subway tiles -- one white beside the other will almost surely look dingy. You might consider a light gray tile as a transition from black to white cabinets..

• PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    3年前

Why not just keep your current cabinet colors and just remove the 4" backsplash and add a cream colored backsplash? Maybe also try updating all appliances to stainless steel.

Modern Napa · 詳細