Houzz Logo Print
olivia_o_donnell66

Ideas for budget kitchen remodel?

liv o
3年前

Anyone have an idea for layout ideas? I want plenty of cabinet space and of course counters...I like the return for when we entertain, but it would look good open too. The wall behind the refrigerator is not as wide as the dining room wall (up against the garage) that the tall cabinet on the left is up again...was thinking of moving the refrigerator back where that cabinet is and taking away the cabinet.

I am new at this thinking, so totally open to ideas!

コメント (46)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

There is not a “budget” remodel, but paint will make a difference. You have white appliances…paint the cabinets white and bring that white into the dining area.

liv oさんはJudyG Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • pricklypearcactus
    3年前

As @JudyG Designs mentioned, remodeling kitchens is not really a "budget" home project. However, if you gave more details on what your budget is going to include (new cabinets? moving plumbing? new counters? etc) perhaps the experts can give you some good advice.

liv oさんはpricklypearcactusさんにお礼を言いました
  • liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you! I meant that I didn't have a huge budget, but enough to do cabinets and counters, just not super pricey remodel.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3年前

I see quite a substantial budget funding your plans. I don’t know where you live (location dictates cost), but get some bids. I see thousands to do what you want. Good luck!

liv oさんはJudyG Designsさんにお礼を言いました
  • liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

More like $20,000

• HouzzUser-187528210
    3年前

It’s hard to see the space well so I’m gonna ask some questions lol. If we swap the fridge to where the cabinet is does that save any room for you. I’m thinking we combine the dining and kitchen. And have an island with a banquet on one side... reface the cabs. New hardware. Counters and backsplash. Redo the popcorn ceiling ( that would be before the kitchen for me lol) and the light. I think 20k is fair and we’ll try to go with less expensive finishes. Subway tiles not a ton. Cement countertops aren’t either... there are things to stretch the budget depending on style... so tell us what style are you guys after?

• HouzzUser-187528210
    3年前

Sneaked at your ideabooks. Seems like blues and tradition farmhouse is your jam. Mine too!!!! I’m obsessed with blues and farmhouse!!! I do think a cement countertop can work. So that’s something to think about. And even butcher block ( super inexpensive) for the island or something

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3年前

HU-187, just an FYI for you and liv…my fabricator charges $135.00 SQ FT for concrete countertops. It isn’t the concrete with is expensive, but the labor ( concrete counters need special support), and his professional skill in the mix, stain and application..

Concrete is beautiful, but it needs to be sealed or else it shows every stain.

• herbflavor
    3年前

there's a lot going on at ceiling areas that could really be improved and give you a better starting position for other things. Texture in dining zone....oversized unremarkable ceiling fan and light....kitchen fluorescent assembly with a 7 in drop??? in ceiling ...If you could get these "fixed" and a better lighting plan to follow I think it would be wise before other things are taken on.

liv oさんはherbflavorさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3年前

This article, liv, might be helpful. It suggests doing the kitchen a bit at a time and it lists approximate costs.

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/kitchen/budget-kitchen-remodeling-advice/

• PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    3年前

You might want to just start with new lighting, under cabinet lighting, new hardware, and new SS appliances.

Modern Napa · 詳細

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

So I’m having trouble with the refrigerator area...should the refrigerator sit on the wall that’s farther back, or should it be flush with the pantry and have some kind of cabinet behind the refrigerator?

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

The tricky part is that wall into the dining area that is wider than the rest of the kitchen...

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

This is really helpful...do you think it will
    Look nicer if the refrigerator is flush with the pantry?

Also, behind the refrigerator would be space if I pull it up. Do you think a tall cabinet behind would work there and a panel on the side of the refrigerator?

• artistsharonva
    3年前

Is this just a cabinet?

It looks like the fridge is pulled off wall so the fridge doors can open.

If so, remove cabinet.

Then you can push the fridge back on to the recessed wall & put a pantry next to fridge. That will help open up the space.

You may be able to use the moved cabinets elsewhere in home, sell, or donate.

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Yes...I’m planning on trying to replace cabinets. Do you think it will look okay if the refrigerator is on the recessed wall?

Where the refrigerator is now it sticks out...thinking of putting a pantry cabinet there, but it will stick out less than the refrigerator is now and the refrigerator will be back from the pantry about 16-18 inches

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

The refrigerator and pantry would be put to about here...is that too far from rest of kitchen ?

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Maybe a little less...

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Like to the beginning of pictures...

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

That’s a great resource. Thank you!

• artistsharonva
    3年前

Does the existing wall layout like this?

How deep is that wall next to garage door?

• artistsharonva
    3年前

Also, please in the next layout, fix the current fire hazard & put countertop right of stove.

Keep a fire extinguisher in kitchen, safety 1st.

See the burnt mark on the cabinet below.

Accidents happen.

Tall wood cabinets should never be directly next to a stove.

Safety 1st.

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

The wall is on this blue line. This is another house, with my same layout. Redone kitchen...maybe easier to see the recess in dining room wall

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

This is one idea I got, but where the counter is to the right of garage door it would be pantry...just worried about refrigerator being too far into dining room and close to table there...if the cabinet next to it was 18” instead of the full pantry it may keep refrigerator closer to the kitchen

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you for your thinking around the stove and cabinet. One of the things I’m trying to change but still need a pantry!

• artistsharonva
    3年前

I'm still a little confused on the fridge wall area.

By the photos it looks like this...

Please make corrections on the measures below & re-post, so I can assist better :)

I need to know how deep the existing wall is in back.

Also ceiling height & current placement of stove, if keeping in same location.

• artistsharonva
    3年前

or is the back wall behind fridge like this?

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Stove has vent above so prob has to stay. Cabinet next to fridge is 52”. Wall in garage recess is 23”

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

28 inches....

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Better angle?

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Ceiling is 7’ 6” in kitchchen and 8” in dining area.

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Wall to wall in dining is 144”

• artistsharonva
    3年前

Here's an idea,

similar concept as above, but build a wall right of fridge & a soffit above fridge & pantry to blend into the lower ceiling in kitchen.

I'm liking the wall added to right of the fridge.

You could do it with or without the peninsula.

No space for an island.

Hope that helps:)

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

This is awesome! Thank you so much. You are so kind!

• artistsharonva
    3年前

Thank you liv o. An early holiday gift for you :)

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Would this be a regular depth fridge or counter depth?

• artistsharonva
    3年前

regular depth fridge when put on the recessed wall.

Could use a counter depth if preferred but not necessary.

• Celadon
    3年前

These are SO not 20K plans. If that’s truly your budget limit, live with it a few years until you triple your savings. If you can come up with the extra 40K, then start by finding a local design shop.

• artistsharonva
    3年前

The costs depends where you live. In VA, with RTA wood cabinets with soft close approximately $7000 + countertop + install. It's doable. Especially if it's a DIY install. You can always replace appliances later as they break & backsplash could be installed later as well.

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you. That’s helpful. I’m hoping to be resourceful and figure out what we can manage. Thanks to much for your help!

• liv o
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thanks for your help! It’s happening!

• HouzzUser-187528210
    3年前

WOW! Looks so much bigger!!! Love it!

• Cecily Grace zone6
    3年前

Such an improvement!!

• Allegra Oxborough
    3年前

@artistsharonva Where do you recommend sourcing RTA cabinets? I've heard it's near-impossible through IKEA right now!

PR