Houzz Logo Print
garpamela

Rethinking Kitchen Layout

garpamela
3年前

Originally, I wanted a bench seat in our kitchen but now I'm rethinking this idea because our kitchen isn't large and I'm big on home cooked meals. If we make the change it mean getting shorter windows and moving around plumbing, electrical, HVAC but my husband says he never wanted the bench seat and now's the time before we install house insulation.
I'm thinking of moving the sink from the back wall to below the windows and centering the oven/range on back wall. I struggle to make decisions and this is a big project so I thought I'd try reaching out to my fellow Houzzers. Keep the bench seat or make the move? Any other suggestions or ideas?

コメント (18)

• itsourcasa
    3年前

I would definitely move sink to under those windows, make them shorter but keep all 3! Also look into turning the island facing the windows, you can make it longer too if you turn it.

• anj_p
    3年前

Not a pro, but I've been looking at a lot of kitchens lately.

I agree, the bench should go. It would be an awkward place to sit without a table, so I don't think it would ever be used. I think moving the sink to that wall and having the windows there would be a great change. It's actually how my kitchen is laid out and I love it. Also consider a larger 30" sink for your wash sink (can't tell the dims but it looks like it's 24").

Depending on how you want to work in the space, you may want to reconsider the island sink. If you prep on your island (it seems like you will since you put a sink in it), the sink will substantially reduce the space you have for prep. You may want to consider a narrower sink (maybe 18"?) and maybe offset it from center to give yourself more counter space.

The 3'-0" opening between your fridge and island is also pretty tight. We have a french door fridge (so the doors aren't large) and we have 4'-0". If you move your sink, you may also have to increase the space on that side to a minimum of 3'-6" (generally I think 3'-6" is the minimum recommended space for a walkway in a kitchen). Increasing both of those would also reduce your island to closer to 5'-0", which is totally adequate, but a bit small to have a sink.

• garpamela
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thanks Itsourcasa! We talked about making the island longer, more square shape, but haven't nailed anything down on that yet.

Anj_p thanks for the additional suggestions. The island sink we planned for a larger sink with cover cutting boards but maybe with the layout change this needs to change also. Good point on the fridge door potentially blocking walk path. I'm going to look at relocating this.

I should mention we have a lot of flex on the plans because my husband is almost 100% building the house himself (no contractor and very minimal subs).

• PRO
    User
    3年前

Another vote for removing the bench seat for increased function, storage and resale value down the line. A bench seat has no purpose in a kitchen if there isn't a table in front of it. I can see why you chose that option in the first place with the window height, but changing out the windows (plus, plumbing, electrical, HVAC) will go a long way and bring out your kitchen's greatest potential.

• itsourcasa
    3年前

That's awesome! We do a lot of DIY but nothing to do with building from the studs. Keep posting progress! I'm not sure how deep the island can be but seems like you'd get more aisle space this way.

• itsourcasa
    3年前

You could also move the fridge and use that side of the kitchen for a coffee/wine station, maybe a small sink there or pot filler. You'd have to mess with the windows though maybe to fit the fridge in that space.

• Isaac
    3年前

I like itsourcasa's designs, though I might just omit the island. It blocks the path from the pantry in both of them, and you have plenty of counter space and storage without it.

We have our fridge 11' away from our sink (yours would be 12') and I find it annoying, but easier to deal with than a similar distance from sink to range, which we also have but you fortunately do not.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

You could turn the island into a peninsula between the kitchen and DR, making it the standard 42" deep. Since you already have plumbing on the back wall, move the prep sink there, and put clean-up under the windows. That would give you a choice of three nice prep areas. Put the dishes on the peninsula, but make sure the drawer isn't so wide it won't open past the DW door.

Make sure the fridge door is beyond the stub wall, to allow it to open far enough to pull out the crispers. If you pull the cabinets beside the fridge out to be even with the fridge box (or just shy), the fridge will look built in, and the counter will be deeper. MW can go in an upper cabinet beside the fridge. I added an open shelf for display, in the corner above the peninsula, as that would be difficult to reach from either side:

• PRO
    TJP Designs and Construction LLC
    3年前

Kitchen space is invaluable, you may want to consult with your kitchen cabinet supplier for a complete layout and they usually have excellent ideas to maximize the use of your space. I rely on my kitchen supplier to work with my clients and figure out all the details and cover all the options ahead of time.

• garpamela
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!

My husband and I talked several hours today about the kitchen configuration and this is what we've landed on:

1. Definitely nix the bench seat, move the sink to middle of windows and reduce the size of the 3 windows.
    2. Keep the island (no peninsula because of spacing/flow into dining area).
    3. Keep fridge in current location. I'm going to see about purchasing one with French doors to keep door width smaller.
    4. Keep the two sinks - we do need to figure out which will be the primary prep sink but I'm thinking the island one as it's triangle format to range & fridge seems more natural.

Because of Covid-19, we can't get new windows in for 4 weeks but once we get this base layout situated I'll provide an update (if I remember).

Thanks again everyone!!

• Lisa Dipiro
    3年前

I would redo the pantry entry... and refrigerator area there... seems like lot of wasted space going from kitchen to mud room...

• garpamela
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hi Lisa, the pantry is actually the entire room of pantry.

• Lisa Dipiro
    3年前

Oh looked like a sliver of the back was pantry. Still have to go thru all that when coming in the house with groceries as you have drawn up

• anj_p
    3年前

I agree with lisa. It looks like you'll only have space for shelves in the back of the pantry because you need to walk through that space (right?). You can't really add shelves in any other location. With Lisa's change you get rid of a corner cabinet, too, which I would consider a plus.

• itsourcasa
    3年前

Love Lisa's idea with the pantry!

• garpamela
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

The pantry is something that I wish I could rework but it's not possible at this point (due to the electrical panel being where Lisa suggested rerouting its entryway). The original idea was to avoid as many hallways/wasted space but in the process I pigeonholed myself into a pantry that doesn't maximize it's space and requires walking through to get to the laundry room. We were certainly not thinking about how awkward this would be. I think what will help is there will be no door between pantry and laundry room and that I now have more cabinets with removing the bench seating.

• suezbell
    3年前

Would not want a fixed bench.

Where is the electrical panel ? facing the utility room in the wall behind the refrigerator?

Can you remove the wall between utility and pantry and make that one large room with your pantry within your utility room? You could have a pair of shallow floor to ceiling cabinets setting on each side of the electrical panel and an additional cabinet where the "pantry" is now located -- more actual storage room and more natural light.

• suezbell
    3年前

Would nix the island sink. You really don't need two in that small a kitchen -- just one deep double stainless steel one at the window.