Houzz Logo Print
postmaster

I need help with window size & placement please.

postmaster
4年前

Building a barndominium, 62'x40' with 10 foot walls. Not sure of window size and placement. Want to go with casement windows if possible. The plan calls for 36"x60" & 36"x54". Kitchen has 2-18"x54 3/8. Appreciate advice!!! Thank you!

コメント (4)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4年前

IMO the more natural light the better so I think those windows are all too small and especially in the kitchen and LR where you spend most of your day.

postmasterさんはPatricia Colwell Consultingさんにお礼を言いました
  • Indecisiveness
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

I ageee more windows.

South east elevation

Increase the living room window from 2 to 3 sections

Set the 2 garage windows so they are equally spaced between the porch columns

What is the bed arrangement going to be in bedroom 1? The current window configuration could make furniture placement difficult.

In the master bedroom, two windows on each of the exterior walls, spaced so that a bed can fit in between them

Decrease the width of the cabinets next to the range and increase those windows

Do you need a closet by the front door? If not, Th space to the right of the door is ‘wasted‘ and decreases your useable living room area (although I assume you’re trying to center the front door in the exterior of the house).

I don’t get the northwest elevation, it looks like your have bump outs that aren’t on the floor plan.

Add a window over the laundry room sink.

Have you thought of two separate garage doors instead of one double? Might make the garage more suitable for two cars.

I don’t get the two doors between the kitchen and the pantry?

How are you going to do furniture placement in the living room? The only wall to center the TV on is the shared wall with the garage, but that is in the path of the front door?

postmasterさんはIndecisivenessさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    Hobbs' Ink, LLC
    4年前

Agreed. More windows, please. Larger would be nice, but if you want to buy stock windows just add more of them. Louis Kahn said, "Architecture is the religion of Light." He's right. You need to worship at the altar and add more glass. In the bedroom think about where the bed will go and either leave windows off that wall or put them in the corner like the original design shows, but on the non-bedwall get some big glass. In all cases favor windows to North and South rather than east and west. Try to maximize windows under porch cover on south side. You'll lose upper cabinets, but bigger windows in kitchen will be nice, too.

postmasterさんはHobbs' Ink, LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • postmaster
    質問の投稿者
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Thank you!! The steel is ordered so we have to figure the windows out & place the order. If the wall height is 10' how tall can the windows be? We will increase width of the windows in the kitchen, what height would you recommend? Attaching a photo that prompted the more narrow windows but I understand wider would be better. Thank you very much for any advice!!