Houzz Logo Print
cmcole01

Please help me pick a color to paint my house!

cmcole01
4年前

We are going to have our house painted and I need help figuring out what color to paint it

. The red brick-front and black shutters will remain as is but we will paint the siding, garage door, and front door. We are looking for paint colors that will compliment the red brick and style of house. In addition we will be getting a new front door and would love suggestions for styles for the door as well. Thank you!!

コメント (51)

• PRO
    Sandy LeRoy
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Because of the high contrast between the white siding and the brick, your house lacks unity. I’d match the siding color to the brick to create harmony, especially in the back, and I’d use the siding color on the garage, including the garage door, so that it doesn’t compete with the front door which is the focal point. The shutters should be a darker version of the roof color and the front door and storm door a darker version of the brick, like the current color.

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you both for the suggestions. I appreciate any other ideas, including specific colors or even pictures that would show mixing the red brick with the darker paint color siding. I was thinking about a color in the grey family but am having trouble picturing how it would look. I really can’t picture how siding painted to match the brick would look. My goal is definitely to make everything work better together and look purposeful.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4年前

Taupe works good with red brick

• PRO
    4年前

Some muted green with wooden front door

• PRO
    User
    4年前

Yes, to green! That was going to be my suggestion too (like Patricia Colwell Consultingsuggestion)

• PRO
  • tgb1
    4年前

Bump

• cat_ky
    4年前

I like the gray in the last picture. I would like it one shade darker though.

• houssaon
    4年前

How about a shade or two darker than what you have now? It compliments the brick.

This red with light tan would work.

Jackson's Grant Model Home · 詳細

• tgb1
    4年前

cmcole - question for you

When you replaced your roof - did you go with more of a charcoal gray or a black?

I need to replace my roof on a side addition - with brick similar to yours, and I'm going back and forth between the two.

Thanks!

• shellcontest
    4年前

Paint everything white (including the brick). Keep the black trim.

• PRO
  • PRO
    4年前

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Hi all - thank you for all the suggestions and @celerygirl for mocking so many of them up. I can tell you that I am definitely not painting the brick white or matching to the red in the brick or even the light green colors. I’m leaning towards a darker gray (lighter shade of the roof) or even a dark navy/grey type color. @celery girl do you think you could mock up this pic with those color schemes. Some ideas from what I’ve seen online are attached. I’d love thoughts and as many more ideas as possible (or pics if you’ve seen something that you like). Also the shutters are not being painted - they are brand new.

@tgb1 - When we replaced the roof we went with a dark charcoal shingle.

• shellcontest
    4年前

Yes, I do like that hale navy color. Hopefully you can get a mock up

• PRO
    4年前

here we are

• PRO
  • tgb1
    4年前

My brick has some darker tones and we painted our front door SW Gale Force...

• emmarene9
    4年前

That looks nice tgb1.

• tgb1
    4年前

Thanks emmarene!

• Christy Reves
    4年前

I have used SW Peppercorn on a bay house interior. It is a lovely color. Your exterior would look great that color or even a dark teal/navy. The color mentioned by tgb1 (Gale Force) would be beautiful. I would do a bright white trim around windows (the same as your front entrance). I don’t know how you feel about a pale yellow or celadon green front door but think it would work nicely. Agree with others, black shutters. Good luck. You have Beautiful home.

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hi again. So we paused this project for a bit but now I’m feeling motivated again. I’ve posted a few other pics that are a but better (less shadowy). Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hi all - so what does everyone think about this navy blue (SW - Anchors Aweigh) as a siding & front door color for my house. Has anyone used it? We would use a white trim (SW Pure white) around front door, windows, etc. also I’m considering SW Colonnade Gray for the garage door as well as an accent on the outer column around the front door. We will be getting a brand new front door & the woodwork around the front door will all be replaced. We also would plan to paint the gutters to blend with the brick and or siding color. I’ve attached some pics from different vantage points and time of day, but it is so difficult. I’d love to hear your thoughts on such a big change! Hi all - so what does everyone think about this navy blue (SW - Anchors Aweigh) as a siding & front door color for my house. Has anyone used it? We would use a white trim (SW Pure white) around front door, windows, etc. also I’m considering SW Colonnade Gray for the garage door as well as an accent on the outer column around the front door. We will be getting a brand new front door & the woodwork around the front door will all be replaced. We also would plan to paint the gutters to blend with the brick and or siding color. I’ve attached some pics from different vantage points and time of day, but it is so difficult. I’d love to hear your thoughts on such a big change! Hi all - so what does everyone think about this navy blue (SW - Anchors Aweigh) as a siding & front door color for my house. Has anyone used it? We would use a white trim (SW Pure white) around front door, windows, etc. also I’m considering SW Colonnade Gray for the garage door as well as an accent on the outer column around the front door. We will be getting a brand new front door & the woodwork around the front door will all be replaced. We also would plan to paint the gutters to blend with the brick and or siding color. I’ve attached some pics from different vantage points and time of day, but it is so difficult. I’d love to hear your thoughts on such a big change!

• houssaon
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

The trim around the front door is gorgeous. Are you replicating it? It would be a shame to loose that detail. If you are replacing it because of rot, you can use wood epoxy to fill in rotted sections instead.

I would not paint the trim around the door two different colors. Pick one.

Anchors Aweigh is almost black. Are you sure? It doesn't look bad, but it is dark. I copied it from the SW website to see.

Do you not like green? I just color matched to the suggestion from Patricia Colwell Consulting for Benjamin Moore greens that are close to her custom mixed color. The color of the brick is so close to your brick.

• emmarene9
    3年前

The navy shade will be fine. Pure White looks nice for the windows. I also like the colors houssaon posted above.

I would not replace the current door trim. It is very nice.

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you. The current door trim is going to be replicated and replaced. We will also get samples of the paint to see in larger sections on the house to see the color with lighting. It is dark but outside paint always appears lighter than indoors & My home does get quite a bit of sun (especially the front/sides). I found the below pic online of the paint color on a front door with brick home. Also - to be clear I am considering painting the garage door the accent color that appears next to it in the below pics (not the same blue). I also included the color palette.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3年前

Not a fan of the dark navy, love the sagey greens. I would lose the shutters, especially if you are determined to use such a dark color.

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hi all - so I did a mock up with these colors. What do u think?

• suezbell
    3年前

Really nice back patio. Would NOT paint the brick. Might add a portico -- a roof over both the front stoop and steps.

Would paint all of the already painted siding surfaces the same color.

You could then paint all the trim either a lighter shade of that same siding color or you could use the same white used for the front door trim/surround.

The medium brown color of this door would be a good siding color that would go well with the brick and work with the white you have around your front door as your trim color, including for your shutters.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/414260865702630866/

Would paint the garage door and trim all the same color as the siding color you choose to draw attention to your front entry door rather than your garage.

• suezbell
    3年前

I like the Navy -- especially with your shutters and window and door frame -- trim being the light color of your current front door trim/surround.

• shellcontest
    3年前

Just paint your front door a new colour and be done with it. Your current colour looks the best.

• PRO
    3年前

I already gave you nice ideas

• emmarene9
    3年前

@cmcole01 Your mockup looks fine. If you like it go ahead. Remember to show us a picture when you are done.

• PRO
  • tgb1
    3年前

I’m not sure I absolutely love the blue.
    Have u thought about a deeper shade of taupe?

• tgb1
    3年前

Celerygirl posted taupe previously- perhaps a shade that has more gray in it than tan.

• tgb1
    3年前

Something that’s more blendy with your roof.

• houssaon
    3年前

I like Anchors Aweigh. Go for it!

• chloebud
    3年前

Regarding the door choice, something with glass panels that mimic your windows would be nice, such as the door in this photo of my brother's home. You can see they also did it with a back door.
    The door and shutter color is BM Tarrytown Green that can work nicely with brick.

• PRO
    3年前

This navy blue color looks so heavy for me.

• shellcontest
    3年前

What if you forget about painting your house and just resurface the area around the garage door with matching brick.

• J D
    3年前

Black shutters, navy body, white trim, gray garage...way too many colors for your house! I don’t think you need the gray on the garage door (if you really don’t want it also navy, you could paint it the white but idk why you want to draw attention to it?). I would also paint the shutters the navy.

• J D
    3年前

Also don’t you want your front door to stand out? It won’t if you just paint it the navy color

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hello all - so we have a couple weeks to finalize the paint color and I am really leaning towards SW Naval on the siding & Colonnade Gray on garage door. Naval is a bit lighter than the original navy I posted earlier (Anchors Aweigh). As mentioned the shutters are less than a year old and we don’t want to paint them. The dark navy should hopefully tie in pretty well with the shutters. If they don’t we can always paint the shutters later. The front door has been ordered and will be painted the same as siding. Thoughts?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3年前

Love the back of the house, but don’t care for keeping the shutters black. I just think it’s too many colors on large spaces - one shade of gray on the roof, one shade of gray on the door, brick red front, navy blue siding and black shutters. And white trim. Maybe paint the trim and windows the lighter gray?

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Hi all - thought I would share an update. We did end up painting the house and front door SW Anchors Aweigh and we love it.

• houssaon
    3年前

Wow! It came out so well. Good job on painting the leaders. The new front door trim is fabulous!

Congratulations!

• emmarene9
    3年前

Looks very nice.

• cmcole01
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you 😄

PR