Houzz Logo Print
stack176

TINY kitchen layout ideas

Ash Y
4年前
最終更新:4年前

Hi all, I'm starting the planning for a kitchen remodel in my studio condo, and I would love some layout help and advice. It's HILARIOUS when I see "tiny kitchens" mentioned on Houzz and they end up being like half the size of my entire condo, lol

My current kitchen is about 7.5' x 6'. I have a 24" range, 18" dishwasher, 28" fridge, and no microwave.

Here's a picture of what it looked like right before I moved in. Since then I've painted the cabinets (which are awful and falling apart) navy blue since they were HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE, but everything else is the same.

I'm only one person, so the amount of storage space is somewhat adequate for now, but more would always be better. My biggest issue at the moment is lack of counter space. The area between the sink and fridge looks a good amount of counter space, but since the fridge is not counter depth and sticks out it makes it pretty hard to work in that area.

I'm probably going to stick with IKEA cabinets, as they're in my budge and everyone I know that has used them has loved the end product.

I did consider maybe knocking down the wall on the right side and making a peninsula with space for bar stools on the other side, but after considering it, I actually like having the kitchen blocked off from the rest of my space (it is a one-room studio after all), and I also don't want to deal with what demolition might entail, as I have popcorn asbestos ceilings (thanks old buildings!!!) The exterior hallway is on the other side of the left wall.

So far, I've come up with 3 options.

#1 - Leave the layout exactly the same but gut everything and replace all the appliances (including a counter depth fridge and 24" otr microwave) and get new cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling.

#2 - Convert into a galley kitchen. This will give me a bit more counter space and leave the back wall open for storage options, like a pan rack maybe? This would of course require moving the plumbing for the sink and dishwasher. Is that a feasible option, or even worth it? Here's a possible design, and I could do with either a 24" or a full 30" range. (ignore the finishes, I haven't decided on those things yet)

#3 - Move the fridge to a closet space that's across from the kitchen. I've seen this done in another unit in my building, and while the kitchen is really opened up, it takes away other storage space, which I really don't want to lose.

Here's a picture of the closet in question, which I currently use for coats/shoes/cleaning devices. It's about 62" across.

Putting in a 30" range would still require moving the sink and dishwasher. Is it easier to move the range to the other wall instead of the sink?

Are there any other possible layouts I haven't thought of? Any help would be appreciated!

コメント (61)

• felizlady
    4年前

Do you have a spot for a small table and four folding chairs? If so, ditch the idea of a counter-height counter for eating.

• Denita
    4年前

The refrigerator in that closet, or half closet, that you show in the pics above certainly changes the kitchen. It's solved the problem in a beautiful way. The kitchen looks so much larger with the fridge in the closet. Looks like the countertop space is twice as long too. If I were in your shoes, I would strongly consider putting the fridge there in your planned reno.

Ash YさんはDenitaさんにお礼を言いました
  • wdccruise
    4年前

"I'm just worried about losing almost half my storage space if I go that route."

There are plenty of 24" wide refrigerators such as this LG LTNC11131V. You probably don't need a monster French door refrigerator like your neighbors have.

Ash Yさんはwdccruiseさんにお礼を言いました
  • decoenthusiaste
    4年前

Of course, this rolling peninsula is too big for your space, but a smaller version of it might do well. I especially like the storage it offers. With deep drawers you'll get much more space than with upper shelves. If you make one small enough it can also push flat against an open wall or be pulled near your work area so you have more counter top.

Vretvägen 14 · 詳細

• shwshw
    4年前

following

• suezbell
    4年前

The stove against a wall like that... nope.

Get rid of the dishwasher -- opt for the cabinet space instead. Dishes for one (or two) easily can be washed by hand daily -- or in a pinch even skip a day ... if you just have a plastic dishpan or bucket you can set your dirty dishes in and set it out of the way ... even in the bath tub ... for a day.

For maximum countertop space, make it a "U" shaped kitchen countertop, uninterrupted by anything other than your kitchen sink in the middle of the back wall.

Put your microwave in an overhead shelf beside the refrigerator rather than near the stove where it will likely not last as long exposed to the heat of the stove. If

At the end of each side of the "U" shape, put your two large appliances -- stove on one side and fridge on the other, paying attention to which way your fridge door opens.

Check into getting a 20" "camper"/"RV" sized stove, gas or electric. With that sized residence, you're not likely going to be entertaining large crowds any ... but if you do: think crock pot one dish meals. I cooked on three burner version for a family of three for several years -- still wish I hadn't tossed it when we moved into to a larger home.

If you think you might need more cooking space, you might consider investing in a small toaster you can easily store. You may find that during summer, cooking small amounts of bread/food or heating rolls in a toaster oven is better than heating up the entire kitchen or residence with the oven.

https://www.pcrichard.com/Avanti/Avanti-20inch-4-Burner-Free-Standing-Gas-Range-White/GR2011CW.pcrp

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Premier-4-Elements-2-9-cu-ft-Freestanding-Electric-Range-Black-Common-24-in-Actual-24-in/3383482?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--app--bing--pla--186--freestandingranges--3383482-_-0&kpid&placeholder=null&msclkid=f2a6b42164201fe5686bea7a754f1344&gclid=CJ3i9MqR-OcCFVZOgQodhmAHUg&gclsrc=ds

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=CDB1AF53AC87CD627163500A4D7894DA94966B8B&thid=OIP.TL6IlnE-U3GwFIVhWhM93AHaHt&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fproducts.geappliances.com%2FMarketingObjectRetrieval%2FDispatcher%3FRequestType%3DImage%26Name%3D012819.JPG%26Variant%3DViewLarger&exph=500&expw=480&q=image+smallest+three+burner+%22camper+sized%22+gas+drop+in+stove+with+oven&selectedindex=15&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

These electric stoves have a drawer beneath the oven for your shallow banking pans.

Invest a little extra in the base corner cabinets to enable them to be usable for storage.

https://www.bing.com/shop?q=images+kitchen+corner+base+cabinet+access+solutions&FORM=SHOPPA&originIGUID=B15F7C06093F4BE296130EC854C2DAB3

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=11C0986076CFDCC8743DF489BF0AE388F0FFEB80&thid=OIP.Esa5TiIVlw0njFcPfp5FygHaFj&mediaurl=https%3A

• Ash Y
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Why would a specific over-the-range microhood not be able to stand the heat of a stove/oven? 🤔

• shwshw
    4年前

I modified some of the mockups to use the 24" fridge.

• shwshw
    4年前

I am assuming you know that you can remove the filled in space over your existing cabinets and use that area to raise new cabinets. You should also be able to save money by keeping the existing floor plan. Good luck!

• shwshw
    4年前

You could also add a narrow drop-leave rolling cart to the left side of the kitchen along the wall. This one is $215 at Wayfair

Ash Yさんはshwshwさんにお礼を言いました
  • Ash Y
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks shwshw, I currently have a SimpleHuman trash can in that corner area, but I'll probably move the trash to under the sink for the remodel and get something like that instead for the corner.

• shwshw
    4年前

Darn trash cans, there is never a good spot for them, lol.

• PRO
    Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
    4年前

I like your own option #1. I think that one makes the most sense. Then you probably thought of contacting a local kitchen design company? They may have some pictures for you to look at with a similar size condo kitchen? All the best to you. :)

• tangerinedoor
    4年前

My kitchen is about the size of yours, as far as I can see. I LOVE it. Yep, I have a little house, bigger than a tiny house. My kitchen is the same shape as yours, but part of the living room (not blocked off).

I eliminated the dishwasher in favor of a cabinet big enough for pans and casseroles. I figured it would take me several days to fill it, and then I'd have to persuade myself to empty it. That being said, you can get drawer-size dishwashers.

I have a 24" stove, which, to my amazement, I absolutely LOVE. Made by Premier (which I've never heard of, but never mind). I can bake cookies, a roast, a stew, or a tray of lasagna. The drawer at the bottom holds all my pot lids.

The stove next to the wall is a very bad idea, IMO. Risky. Can you swap the locations of the stove and the refrigerator?

Your refrigerator is wide. Go narrower.

Any chance you can install a window? It looks so cooped up, which gives the feeling of tightness and no space.

Consider reducing the distance between countertop and upper cabs (mine is 15"). This will give you more storage space. Alternately, run a shelf along the wall under the cabinets for mugs, etc.

• Ash Y
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Since I live in a condo options are limited. All the walls are interior so even if I wanted to add a window (I absolutely can’t), it would be pointless.

And while I know stoves next to a wall aren’t ideal, as long as there’s a non combustible surface like tile or stainless steel right next to instead of plain wall, it’s up to code (this is the original kitchen layout every single studio unit in my building has from the 1960s). I’m hesitant about moving it too far since theres a vent duct right above where it is now. That’s something I’d probably have to ask my condo manager and our maintenance staff.

And id prefer to keep the dishwasher for resale purposes, since this definitely isn’t a forever place.

• felizlady
    4年前

While you are thinking about and planning alterations, improvements and layouts, get yourself a decent-size rolling cart with a chopping block top you can use for prep...they are available at Costco and the big box stores and the Container Store. It won’t cost as much as Wayfair and you can see it in person...maybe $60-$80. It will be useful later, too.

• Kristin S
    4年前

I prefer the galley layout because you avoid losing space to the corners. That said, I'd look at shrinking some appliances a shifting things around a bit.

There are a number of good 24" refrigerators/freezers available, and that would buy you back 4" on the fridge/range wall. You could then go with a 20" or 24" range, buying you another 4 - 8". That would let you put another 8-12" cabinet between the range and wall for both work surface and safety.

Then on the sink side I would shift the drawer/door cabinet to all drawers and make it 24" instead of 30". Keep the sink as-is, and put in a single 24" dishwasher drawer with a storage drawer under it. You could consider moving the dishwasher drawer to the right side of the sink for easier access from wherever you normally eat, with uppers for dish storage above it.

Finally, as someone else suggested, get a sink that allows for a workstation above it when not in use. (Note that while this sink says it needs a 27" cabinet, you may be able to make it work in a 24" cabinet with the right installer.)

• Charlotte Rothermel
    4年前

There is a great kitchen in The Aurora tiny house by Zero Squared Tiny Homes. I would add a pull out pantry to the side of the fridge. Have a look! And good luck with your Reno!

• kristaj
    4年前

Here is a video from Canadian House and Home’s website that has some good ideas for small condo kitchen renovating.

There is also a source guide for products used that might be helpful.

https://houseandhome.com/video/small-condo-kitchen-space-saving-solutions/

Glad that you decided it is important to keep a dishwasher for resale. You also won’t want any dirty dishes cluttering up your new and beautiful kitchen. :)

Ash Yさんはkristajさんにお礼を言いました
  • Donald
    4年前

I’d keep the appliances where they are, cabs to the ceiling, ditch the dishwasher, and instead of a range I’d have a wall oven and buy a couple good portable induction hot plates. You’d gain the countertop space above the oven, gain all that storage with cabs going to ceiling and where the dishwasher was plus you would still have your big closet for all the other things you own and need space for.

• bpath
    4年前

Yes, smaller induction. I'll bet you never use 4 burners, get a two or three burner induction and an undercounter oven.

• teamaltese
    4年前

Do you bake at all? There are lots of countertop ovens with multiple functions that can sit on a cart. Induction plates can sit on a counter when used, and put away in a cabinet. That way, you can have nothing but counter. When it comes time to sell, either put in a small stove, or provide an allowance in the sales price. Set up the kitchen as best suits how you live now.

• tangerinedoor
    4年前

You could leave the plumbing and wiring for the dishwasher (for re-sale) and just not have the dishwasher for you.

I can't understand why an under-counter oven would take up less room in lower cabinets or "gain the countertop space" than a slide in range???????

• dan1888
    4年前

RVs are coming with a sink that'll take a piece of countertop as an insert. When you aren't using the sink you have more counter. Same idea with an induction cooktop. 24" versions are available. Or no cooktop and 110v portables. Take one or two out when you need them.

• jupidupi
    4年前

I have the Bosch 24" counter depth refrigerator and LOVE it. It holds an amazing amount, and is very simple and pretty. I have the style that's white with a glass sheet over the door and it reflects a lot of light which makes the kitchen feel brighter. Also, I'd ditch that 18" dishwasher and replace it with drawers. Simple Human makes a pull out trash system that has both garbage and recycling bins. It's very narrow. We had our plumber install the sink pipes angled in order to fit the trash system under the sink.

• PRO
    Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
    4年前

That sounds like a good plan Ash. :)

• Ash Y
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

The Bosch one looks nice, except for the price tag 😬

• bpath
    4年前

I was thinking built in induction. But only 2-3 burners. They are counter space when you aren't cooking, they heat pans faster, and are a clean look because it's all flat surface on the same plane as the countertop. Very elegant.

• Helen
    4年前

I agree that the best way to proceed is to treat it as a small urban kitchen with *normal* appliances that are sized for urban living.

In my personal experience, people living in urban studio apartments still value having a *real* kitchen which includes a 24" stove and a dishwasher if possible. A small refrigerator is fine - but not a dorm sized model - since the lifestyle lends itself to picking up food on the way home from work and so storing lots of stuff for a large family just isn't necessary.

There is a HUGE difference between a small urban kitchen and some of the suggestions. My friend lived in an apartment on CPW which had once been a hotel residence of sorts and so the kitchen was what had once just been the entrance hallway. In that setting, there was a midget refrigerator and just some kind of small cooktop.

That kind of set up was an oddity even among kitchens in small studios. While I think people should remodel for their own needs, making the kitchen into essentially a non-kitchen would impact resale potential. The kitchen isn't even that small by NYC standards :-).

Ash YさんはHelenさんにお礼を言いました
  • HKO HKO
    4年前

Kohler makes sinks that come with a cutting board that fits over them, essentially turning that whole area into flat counter when not actively using sink. My friends just did one in their kitchen and it’s awesome....Using one in your kitchen as would give you extra work space.

Ash YさんはHKO HKOさんにお礼を言いました
  • Missi (4b IA)
    4年前

I think as far as losing storage space in the closet by putting the fridge there, you could find ways to make up for it in the rest of your apt, no matter how small it is. We have to store our coats/shoes in our bedrooms for now, for instance.

• suezbell
    4年前

The instructions with the two microwaves I've owned all said avoid close proximity to heat producing appliances but if they're built as part of a hood, they're probably built to withstand it.

• tangerinedoor
    4年前

My 24" stove has a glass top that gives me extra flat space at countertop height. I would waaaay prefer this to a stove with gas burners: it's way more versatile.

• akrogirl32
    4年前

Have you considered a single dish drawer? That would give you the dishwasher capability you want, but free up room for more storage.

• Helen
    4年前

I was going to suggest a 24” indiction stove. Induction is much better than standard electric and many people prefer to gas. An advantage to gas in your circumstances is that an over the range microwave hood functions better than with gas.

• kathiebartel
    4年前

I like your galley kitchen, assuming (as has been pointed out) you are allowed to move the plumbing and gas. But regardless of the layout you ultimately choose, I'd strongly recommend putting in a cabinet above the refrigerator. Gives you a bit more storage, which is never a bad thing, and gives a more finished appearance.
    By the way, my husband and I gutted our kitchen last year and installed an IKEA kitchen. Best thing I've done I this house. Good luck with your Reno.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

I know this is long past, but I’m waiting for a pick up and sitting in my car so started playing with this. I love tiny spaces.

Haier makes a nice 24” range and OTR microwave, so I worked with those dimensions. 18” dishwasher and 24” by 72” tall fridge that has a good bit of storage. Still leaves 3 feet of storage space of the 62” they started with.

Haier 24” range comes in electric (not induction :() or gas.

Ash YさんはAnnette Holbrook(z7a)さんにお礼を言いました
  • Ash Y
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you Annette! I have looked at all the “small space” Haier appliances at a Best Buy near me, and they look beautiful, just wish they weren’t so expensive 😭

I hadn’t considered moving the range to the other wall. I’m hesitant about moving “behind the wall” stuff, but I guess the gas line is easier to move than plumbing drains (dependent on condo approval, sigh).

now that IKEA has their axstad shaker cabinets in navy, thats exactly the look I want!

• Ash Y
    質問の投稿者
    3年前

Thank you Annette! I have looked at all the “small space” Haier appliances at a Best Buy near me, and they look beautiful, just wish they weren’t so expensive 😭

I hadn’t considered moving the range to the other wall. I’m hesitant about moving “behind the wall” stuff, but I guess the gas line is easier to move than plumbing drains (dependent on condo approval, sigh).

now that IKEA has their axstad shaker cabinets in navy, thats exactly the look I want!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    3年前

There are quite a few nice 24” ranges. I’m using a 24” range in my guest loft apartment kitchen so have been researching for a while. I’m going with white in a retro style as my spot is a mountain cabin. I just did stainless in yours as that is the most requested type.

Ash YさんはAnnette Holbrook(z7a)さんにお礼を言いました
  • Cindy Durr
    3年前

How about lose the dishwasher, I dont think it would be a big deal for future selling, move the sink to the left only as far as the drain allows but in a longer cabinet, tall wall cabiinets, Micro over range. move the fridge to half the closet and put a corner cabinet where the fridge is now. This gives you a long counter run. Then put a built in either in the bedroom or living area to make up for lost storage closet.

• bargainhunter
    3年前

I would suggest (as others have) induction cooktop, under counter oven, much smaller fridge and single drawer dishwasher. I think it would be more streamlined

• ram123
    3年前

Seems like everything could stay in about the same place with a new narrow refrigerator, counter depth if they make them!

• felizlady
    3年前

New cabinetry of course. IF you can remove the bulkhead, get uppers which reach the ceiling if the current uppers don’t offer enough storage. Get a step stool if necessary. An undermount sink will give you a few more inches of counter and will make it much easier to clean around the sink. I like my backsplash to run up to the upper cabinets. If possible, have the outlet over the stove moved out of sight unless it is the only above-counter outlet in the kitchen. If you just don’t have enough storage below, you might consider getting rid of the dishwasher and doing dishes by hand after each meal...three minutes, tops, more for pots or pans.

• Ash Y
    質問の投稿者
    3年前
    最終更新:3年前

A couple of people have asked me for an update on this. I'm on the finishing touches now. I'm still sad I lost some closet space by moving the fridge, but the increased counter space makes up for it. (and yes, what you see in this picture is basically the extent of it LOL). I'm not sure if I like the tiled over cover for my electric box, but I'll live with it for a bit.

• shwshw
    3年前

Wonderful!!!! Can't wait to see the rest.

• formeryankee
    3年前

Great job. It looks very nice.