Houzz Logo Print
uneke2

Off center DR pendant light - What to do?

Carolyn
4年前

As you can see from the pics below, the pendant light over the dining table is off centre for both the length (off by ~ 20") and the width (off by ~ 3-4"). Although it is centered with the 4 corner pot lights. In this modern open concept condo, this disconnect really stands out.

It is an expensive matter to have to light & driver moved, and ceiling patched. Someone had suggested I swag the light over ( since there is excess cord length stuffed in the canopy. But I am concerned that that will not look contemporary. Is there a way to make it look sympatico?

Also fyi, the ceilings are just under 8' - so not high.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

コメント (26)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

It's called swagging or using a swag hook. you will have to check and see if there is extra cord up in the mounting plate, or you may have to replace it to get one with a longer cord. very simple fix. Otherwise call an electrician and have him move the box.

CarolynさんはRL Relocation LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • Seabornman
    4年前

There are fixtures with a long "box" on the ceiling that have two cables that support a long, linear light. That would solve one direction but not the other.

CarolynさんはSeabornmanさんにお礼を言いました
  • Seabornman
    4年前

Or even a pendant strip with two cable supports. Only one needs electrical.

• Carolyn
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

So RL Relocation.... thanks for your thoughts. AS mentioned in my post, I have enough extra cord stuffed in the ceiling canopy, that it could be swagged. My concern is, how do I keep it looking modern. Swagging is typically a casual / boho / country look. Is there an ultra modern ceiling clip you have seen that might e in keeping with the condo style?

• housegal200
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Leave it as is--not a big deal in the great scheme of things. It's actually centered going the long way! (Confession: I have an uncentered major pendant light, and I just decided not to notice it! (Mine looks as if it's in its own orbit over the dining table.) Honestly, I don't want to spend the $300-400 minimum to cut into the ceiling, relocate the light, get the electrical worked out. Swagging calls more attention to it IMO. Your place looks fabulous BTW.

Carolynさんはhousegal200さんにお礼を言いました
  • ilikefriday
    4年前

I agree with housegal. My chandelier is also off center and I like it. A swag will bring more attention to it.

Carolynさんはilikefridayさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sammy
    4年前

Do not swag the light, please. It sends one message: “I’m too cheap to have this thing moved.” Get a smaller table (a four-seater, max) that can be centered under the fixture and remove or relocate the sideboard. You have a small dining area that’s too congested at the moment.

CarolynさんはSammyさんにお礼を言いました
  • doods
    4年前

and especially if the box stays where it is and the light is swagged, it kind of destroys the design of the light fixture, like one part is here and one part is there. I had that problem with mine, didn't like it, had it moved but instead of redoing the ceiling we just put a blank electrical cover over the old box which looks ok to me, much less aggravating that an off centre fixture or swag.

By the way love your light fixture, art, dining table and chairs, a lovely room!

Carolynさんはdoodsさんにお礼を言いました
  • suezbell
    4年前

Do some measuring and see how large a shallow square box you'd need to both have the box centered and cover the original box from the off center fixture.

After removing the overhead fixture you have, frame a square that size attached to the ceiling, adding a cross piece so you can attach a new electric box for a new overhead fixture in the center of that framing so you can hang your new fixture in the center of the room after attaching the necessary wiring and enclosing the box.

Alternately, you could frame a larger box to be centered on the ceiling the size of the table enabling you to put one centered light over the table or a pair of lights.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/487162884680389905/

Carolynさんはsuezbellさんにお礼を言いました
  • flopsycat1
    4年前

Nice room. I’d either ignore it, or pay an electrician to move it. No swag.

Carolynさんはflopsycat1さんにお礼を言いました
  • Daisy S
    4年前

That would drive me insane...I had my husband move a chandelier ten inches. You can buy dry wall patch and a can of texture- if you take your time with the repair no one will notice and it will blend nicely. If you are not handy pay an electrician- about $400 here in N. Cal. (Just had a friend pay for this exact type of job.).

CarolynさんはDaisy Sさんにお礼を言いました
  • Carolyn
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Seabornman. Thanks for your suggestions. So to be clear you are suggesting buying a new fixture that has a rectangular shape.

• Seabornman
    4年前

Two approaches shown. Quite a few styles available. I didn't think of it till you asked but you could get a surface mount rectangular fixture and place it exactly over the table.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

NOT TRUE! you can do a beautifully neat swag here with a little bit of cord cover or even an exposed conduit look. you can actually use the light as it is and "drag" a little bit of lamp wire to the actual outlet, and put a white plate over the physical location.....

CarolynさんはRL Relocation LLCさんにお礼を言いました
  • Seabornman
    4年前

Wow, is that ugly. If I had a dog he'd bark at that....

• doods
    4年前

Agree with Seabornman. Not a pro -the plate I put on to cover the old box is small, round, and flat against the ceiling, and wiring is inside ceiling so you don't see it.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

So if its not possible to dig into the ceiling then what?

• btydrvn
    4年前

The reason they leave the extra wire in the ceiling is to make it possible to swag it to where you need it...if you decide to get a new table some day it will be easily moveable to accommodate a different table...i think a swag is sort of graceful especially on a minimal fixture...if you want to add more interest there are so many beautiful chain replacement options...but as is ....it is sleek and simple...also good

Carolynさんはbtydrvnさんにお礼を言いました
  • ilikefriday
    4年前

I think the problem with the current setup is that it does not look intentional because the chandelier is off center but the flower is centered. If you simply moved the flower to off center, the light would look like you want it to be in that spot as a spotlight on the flower. I have this exact same thing going on with my dining table and chandelier. In my case I have the chandelier at one end of the table and a tall vase at the other end.

My eye leans towards asymmetry. I find it more appealing in general.

Carolynさんはilikefridayさんにお礼を言いました
  • Carolyn
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you all so much for your thoughts.

I do need to keep the sideboard where it is. However, I forgot to mention that I will be painting it the same colour as the wall, and will be back painting the glass in the doors to hided the stuff inside. The room will look less cramped and busy.

I tried moving the table to be centered under the light, and taking away the end chairs to do so. It looks quite crammed down at one end of the area when I do that. So I don't think I will do that.

In reading your comments, I am reminded that I need to keep access to the current location (per my original electrician). So I will need to cover with an electrical plate, and not patch it to cover over.

I think I will pay to have it moved in order to keep the simple, clean minimalist lines of the light fixture.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    4年前

Have you ever thought of two smaller pendant lights over the table? Add another box, install matching pendants and no one will ever know that the light was off-center.

Rough Luxe Farm House · 詳細

CarolynさんはCarolina Kitchen & Bathさんにお礼を言いました
  • Carolyn
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Doods….. Thanks for the compliments. I made over the dining room table and chairs myself.

The whole condo reno and decorate has taken me quite some time. Members of Houzz, like yourself, have been very helpful with advice throughout the process. Likely in January I will post some before and after pics.

• Carolyn
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Carolina.....I had thought of using 2 pendants at one point, but concerned it blocks the art more, and might look too busy in my small space.

• doods
    4年前

Good job Carolyn, I love your decor, those chairs are wonderful, especially with the glass table! I'm not a pro, but enjoy this site, and certainly the pro's on here are wonderful to share their expertise with us all.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    4年前

That's why you'd want to pick something smaller. Go to a lighting shop, not a big box lighting department, but a store where they have designers that help you make selections and figure this stuff out. Having another professional perspective helps. There are many talented pros here, but talk to one who is an expert in lighting design.

CarolynさんはCarolina Kitchen & Bathさんにお礼を言いました
PR