Houzz Logo Print
pauldrowan

Downstairs Reconfiguration

pauldrowan
4年前

Hi, I’m thinking of offering on a property with the following layout. The property consists of a 60’s original with a 70’s 2 storey side/rear extension.
The original house is marked on the second photo in pink, the main extension in green and then 2 further small single storey extensions marked in orange.
I’d be interested in people’s ideas of how to reconfigure the layout to create a new layout that offers
Kitchen/diner with a seating area that connects to the back garden
Separate Lounge
Laundry/utility/WC (either separate or combined)
Study/playroom
(Without removing too many walls)
What I don’t want is one vast open plan living/dining/kitchen space as I prefer broken plan to open plan.

I’m settled on a solution to the upstairs layout but I feel I’m stuck on one idea for the downstairs and I’m hoping some help will either give me a solution or provide a new spark of inspiration.

Cheers in advance

コメント (9)

• Daisy England
    4年前

I’d have the existing kitchen, dining room and lounge all knocked into one to serve as the kitchen and dining area.

The lounge will then be the existing Sitting Room. Personally I’m always puzzled why folk want 2 seating/lounge rooms. I think the space is better used as a kitchen/diner which may also have space for a sofa and a TV depending on how you configure it.

The bedroom/study can still stay as the study/playroom.

Keep the existing utility and the shower room.

• pauldrowan
    質問の投稿者
    4年前
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks Daisy for your input, like your own opinion I don’t want the seating area in the kitchen diner to be anything more than a place the kids/guests will sit in comfort whilst I’m cooking/serving. Just a sofa or a window seat would suffice, I’m not needing a full sitting room with TV/coffee table etc etc
    One thing I haven’t really explained is that the rooms that currently have the view of the garden are the utility room & study.
    The kitchen view is of the exterior walls of the shower room and outdoor store on one side and the dismal dining extension on the other. Both these single storey extensions will probably be demolished as they offer very little to the house.
    The part of the garden behind the kitchen & diner slopes away so isn’t really too attractive/usable.
    Maybe I’m trying too hard to make a house that isn’t suitable try to suit my needs for the sake of catchment area/price etc
  • pauldrowan
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Here is the idea I’ve come up with, which removes as little structure as possible and needs as little work as possible on rerouting drains etc.
    The issue others have raised is that the utility/WC sits right in the middle of the house and cuts the house into two. As someone who likes rooms to flow into each other I tend to agree and wonder if I’m missing an obvious way of fixing this without major groundwork’s etc

• Daisy England
    4年前

I did think about the ground floor the same as you’ve suggested as I noted that you wanted a view from the kitchen to the back garden but was wondering about costs in relation to drainage as the kitchen is currently on the left.

What you’ve suggested would look good if it’s within budget. It’s a big house.

• rinked
    4年前

Plenty of options with a house that size! First find out which walls can be removed without any structural support. Such as utility-study and kitchen-dining.

Your plan looks good, but without measurements (and family info, budget, needs and wishes) it's hard to tell if it's the best option.

• PRO
    Tollgard Design Group
    4年前

Hi,

Please have a look at our website https://tollgard.com/.

If you send us an email, we will be happy to advise you on options.

Best regards,

Tollgard Design Group

• Artistic Interiors
    3年前

Hi Paul,

There is very little you need to do to reconfigure the downstairs for what you've said you want. Here is how to get everything you want:

• Use the current Sitting Room as a play room
    • Knock the wall down between the current Dinning Room & Kitchen. Add large windows, ample doors, sliding doors or concertina to this area to face the garden. You can either stagger those to go with the current footprint of the house, or shave off the small back portion that protrudes, or add to level that area out (which will require moving the downstairs bathroom window).
    • Optional : put sliding doors or pocket doors or concertina doors in between the current Lounge & new Kit - Diner space to give you self the option of opening up the lounge to views of the back garden and closing it to be separate when you want to.
    • Keep the Lounge as a Lounge
    • Use the current downstairs Bedroom as a Study - adding double doors out onto the garden for more light and better views.
    • Removing the Outside Store or utilizing that space better is of course optional.

Looks like a lovely home that will work how you want to live with very little structural changes overall - just some glass at the back, knocking down one wall, optionally installing some doors here and there, and configuring a new kitchen. Otherwise, it is really just about all the cosmetics and putting your own stamp on it.

Best wishes & good luck!

• Artistic Interiors
    3年前

Hi Paul,

Did not notice your comments in the comments section that added more information. The ideas I suggested seem to work with what you initially said. However if the views are garden are an issue, they may not. You are wanting to limit costly groundwork - think if landscaping could solve those issues, which can cost far less than huge structural changes to the house.

Otherwise, yes, a re-jig would most likely be in the cards. The plans you came up with look very nice.

Location & catchment are extremely important - if your budget can work and you have a good plot, you can work with the house usually.

Good luck!