Houzz Logo Print
tachbrook82

Indoor plants that will grow up a pole...

Alex
4年前

Hello, I'm completing a kitchen renovation which requires a steel support pole. It's quite slim but ideally I want to grow something green up it to make a feature out of it. Any ideas on plants that would be suitable? It's a very light glass roofed south facing room. Thank you! Alex

コメント (14)

• Sonia
    4年前

Philodendrons will. Mine is trailing down but they can be grown up a pole. May need tying in though. Tough little plants. I’ll try and post photos but not having much success!

• Sonia
    4年前

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4年前

If you tape and wrap a string of soft white fairy lights to the pole -that will help give the plant something to cling to. Solar lights will possibly work if it’s a sunny spot .

• Alex
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Great thank you all. Do you think I could attach it using some kind of invisible plant friendly tape like this? https://www.gearbest.com/garden-decking/pp_1234295.html

• E D
    4年前

I think as soon as you need to fold that tape to stick it, and I’m sure you do, it will not be invisible but rather look messy.

• Sonia
    4年前

You can’t beat a bit of garden twine but of course if you want to grow it up the steel it may show up. What colour are you painting the steel? I’m not sure about that tape.

How about attaching discreet self adhesive hooks which you can tie the plant branches to? Command do hooks exactly for this job but I’ve never tried them. Worth a look?

• Alex
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Interesting nice idea... I’m painting it white so everything will show up I guess... could do green twine then cover with the plant leaves..?!

• Sonia
    4年前

Yes probably the easiest option. Wonder if twine comes in white? :-)

• Alex
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

These are the plants. I think they are called Philodendron... correct me if I'm wrong! could I change direction of these tendrils and string them around the pole I wonder..?! Thanks everyone for your help really appreciate it.

• Sonia
    4年前

Hi, yes you can. You could even untie it from the support thingy and re-arrange it how you want it up the pole. It will look rather awkward for a bit but it will adjust. Better to keep the leaves facing outwards. Careful not to over water. Feel the compost, if it’s dry then water. If soil is damp don’t water - more plants are killed by overwatering than under. Good luck!

AlexさんはSoniaさんにお礼を言いました
  • Lena
    4年前

I chose the same plant for my kitchen. I needed plants to cover a protruding bit, and decided that they would look better growing down, not up...

• Alex
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks @lena you have given me an idea... using garden pot hangers I can mount the pout at the top without having to take up valuable floor space and keep the tendrils flowing downwards. https://hangapot.com 

• PRO
    Tholos Architects
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Tomato. Seriously.

if there is sun exposure, not cold, and you have this pole where some plant can climb... why not having always something ready for a salad? :)

Doubt: I assumed the pole was floor to ceiling. Is it side to side perhaps?