Houzz Logo Print
yusuf_najmuddin

Landscape Lighting Watts and Transformer capacity

Hi, I have installed a 200W Hampton bay transformer and it is currently lighting 13 Unique Hardscape lights on my 3ft high retaining wall. How many more lights can I add to this transformer on the same wire?

コメント (3)

• wdccruise
    4年前

According to this document, each strand of 12 LED lamps draws 36 VA which converts to 3 amps. A 200 watt transformer has an output of about 16 amps at 12 volts, so it should be able to handle about five strands or 60 bulbs, total.

• PRO
    VOLT® Lighting
    4年前

Typically, you should check with the manufacturer of the transformer to verify what % of the rated load they recommend using. A lot of manufacturers typically don't recommend fully-loading a unit; we recommend using 80% for ours. With that number in hand, divide it by the wattage consumption of a single one of the hardscape lights; you will then know the total amount of lights you can add.

A quick google search brought up the operator's manual for a 'Low-Voltage 200-Watt Landscape Transformer'. Just to verify, it said: "Be sure that the total cumulative wattage of all 12 volt fixtures connected to the transformer is equal to or less than 200 watts." I wouldn't know the wattage of your hardscape lights without knowing a model though.

PR