Houzz Logo Print
laura_richmond67

Bifold, sliding or french?

To replace middle window and door. Excuse mess kitchen/diner is currently being used as a garage!

Thanks so much!

コメント (10)

• PRO
    Detail Movement Interiors
    4年前

Hi Laura! I believe the question is strongly related to what your design scheme is for the said room. It might very well be that either french/sliding/bifold doors work best but all in relation to the design of your kitchen cabinets and units, colours and materials (if I understand correctly that this room will be the kitchen/dining area).

However, one thing to keep in mind is that if do opt for the bifold doors, they will occupy a bit of space when they open all the way, so you would need that space cleared of any furniture (unless you wish to move it when you open the doors). If you do have the space for that, then that is brilliant. Personally, I think these work best because when they are completely opened, you have an unobstructed view of the garden.

In the end, it's a matter of space, taste, design and if it can be done from a structural point of view (as it is an exterior wall after all and having these type of doors can create a big gap/opening in the wall). Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

I have carried out projects where we have installed bifold doors that project out to the exterior rather than the interior. Generally speaking these fold out against a wall or fence so that there is much less chance of them being damaged.

To answer your question, sliding doors are not really practical for such a small width. Your best options ,in my opinion, are French Windows or a Bifold. You final choice will depend upon your budget.

• Sonia
    4年前

I can envisage a nice sets of French doors, assuming there is space outside for them to open out? I have 2m wide sliding doors in my kitchen as there was no room outside for opening French doors, my preferred option. On holiday we stayed in an apartment with bifold and I loved them! Here’s my simple sliding door.

• Ellie
    4年前

What is that area going to be used for? An armchair? It's hard to see how big the space is? Can you attach a floorplan?

Assuming you have your kitchen units on none of these walls?

In this case I think French doors would look much better. If it was much wider I would go for sliding

• Ellie
    4年前

How wide is the length you are considering? If under 2m, which it looks, then I don't see the point in bifolds

• Laura Richmond
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I took the photo at a strange angle which makes it look smaller. The width is 2.4m and has clearance outside. I've not seen the panoramic door before - another option. Kitchen units will run along the back wall (where bikes are in photo and shown on plan below as 'kitchen' but end with plenty of clearance for bi-folds.

• Ellie
    4年前

The far left window in the top pic, base units are going to run along that wall under that window? If so, you will need at least 65 cm wall for unit depth. Is the 2.4 m wide doors still possible?

• Laura Richmond
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

We plan to stop the cabinets short to allow for a wider door - and to not lose any light. Unless this would look odd?

• Laura Richmond
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Or we could go small window and doors but it would look less open.