Houzz Logo Print
supriya_shakya

Off-white cabinets and white benchtop gone wrong.

Hi

So we have just finished our kitchen renovation. We went for a traditional looking kitchen with a stone benchtop. We chose off-white cabinets to give it a warm look and selected an awesome stone (Michael Angelo quartz). The biggest problem is that the white stone and the off white don’t match and we realised this a little too late. We had previously matched the samples of stone against the cabinets but only upon getting the entire kitchen together, and seeing the big white stone slab against all the cabinets, we realised how “unmatched” the white and the off whites are. The big white stone makes the off-white cabinets look almost creamish yellow :( Attached is a photo.

The only thing left now to save the look of our kitchen I feel is the walls. We are wondering whether to go for white walls or for off-white matching the cabinets. Can anyone suggest ideas (or share photos) for the kitchen wall so that the colour miss-match comes together... somehow.

Any other decor ideas to improve the look of the kitchen would be very helpful too.

Thanks in advance!

コメント (33)

• Kate
    4年前

Put your white undercoat on the plaster, then try some different light colors - daylight, cool and warm globes. Then take stock. Do the white walls tie in the benchtop and then the cupboards provide the accent? Or do u need a wall colour tying to the cupboards to make the bench pop. Sample paint pots will help u test options
    Then Bring in a whole lot of colour chips to see what accents colors jump for you for accessories . Use colors u love.

Supriya ShakyaさんはKateさんにお礼を言いました
  • bigreader
    4年前

Wow, that is disappointing. It’s difficult because if you match the walls to the cupboards the stone will look even worse, and if you match the walls to the bench stone the cupboards will look more mismatched. As above I’d see about new cupboard fronts or replacing the stone. Bad new when you’ve been looking forward to a new kitchen.

Supriya Shakyaさんはbigreaderさんにお礼を言いました
  • siriuskey
    4年前

Your new kitchen is just lovely, if it was mine and being a fan of what I call clotted cream cabinets with white I would match the cabinets to the wall and let the benchtop be the hero. I also think that this will work better with the flooring. The following photo is a bathroom but should give you an Idea of what I'am suggesting, cheers

Supriya Shakyaさんはsiriuskeyさんにお礼を言いました
  • MC Hamilton
    4年前

So sorry to hear your unhappy with your new kitchen.
    With wall colour might be worth getting Dulux consultant or similar in to help and lots of samples on the wall, I like to paint a big piece of paper and move it around in different lights.
    I like previous suggestion of looking at changing the handles. Cupboard profile and handles are quite traditional and top is more modern. Brushed/satin chrome might bridge the two. Thought handle with the brighter white in it might make the two work together. Good luck, I hope you find a way to love your new kitchen

Supriya ShakyaさんはMC Hamiltonさんにお礼を言いました
  • siriuskey
    4年前

Love the gold handles, you could take a small cupboard door to a paint store, Inspirations are wonderful and cover most paint brands. I can't see the colour of your blind but think white to pull the bench top.

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Hi everyone

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your advice! As suggested above, we plan to do a couple of quick & least expensive changes to see it betters the situation:

1. Change the light to a cooler tone. Currently, the light is a warm tone. We do that tomorrow. Electrician has been booked.
    2. We also got new handles, like the ones suggested above (thank you). Will replace a few of them to see if it works better. (Blinds and windows are white, so perhaps the white handles makes it look more cohesive)
    3. We did get a number of colour samples from Bunnings for the walls but we have not made up our minds (we are basically questioning all our decisions now). Painting a large section of the wall as suggested above sounds like a good idea. We also didn’t know about that Dulux consultant, so will look that up too.

Replacing the cabinet doors might have been the easiest but honestly, we have spent so much on the kitchen, we will have to give this one a hard thought. We also looked at re-painting the doors...Keeping this option open too, but we have so many cabinet doors, I can already feel the pain.

But once again, thanks so much for the input, if you have any more ideas, please keep them coming!

• PRO
    Larkspur Lane Design
    4年前

It sounds like you are getting somewhere, Supriya!

Seriously, it is not the end of the world. It is a gorgeous kitchen and all it will take is doing some clever co-ordinating of accessories. I love the midcentury look of cream with grey, which is really timeless, so why not look closely at the veining in the marble and see if you can pick out a light warm grey you could work with, whether in a blind/wall colour/benchtop accessories. You might find you end up with an even more most original and inviting kitchen than you had initially envisioned :))

Supriya ShakyaさんはLarkspur Lane Designさんにお礼を言いました
  • siriuskey
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

This kitchen in a small holiday Villa with cream walls and cabinets ,( the draws look white in the photo but it's just the flash) The Bench top and end panel along with wall tiles are all white

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thank you @siriuskey for the photo!

And Thanks @Bijou Design for the tip on working with grey tones. I had not considered this.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4年前

OOHH what a dilemma! Tho if you didn't tell anyone else, finished walls, floor and all with a whalllaa it's finished, no body will comment on such a fab new make over. Fav bright colour? Splash out with accessories all over the place and in the glass door cupboards above: it will look excellent. But do not tell anyone you are not happy with door/bench colours together!!! he he he !!

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Hi Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs - Thanks for boosting my mood :D I have been told I am perhaps being too fussy and no ones gonna notice the “mistake” if I didn’t complain. Lols. And yes, I am hoping to get some decor ideas here to lift the look of the kitchen. Will post some photos here after the little changes are done - especially the light.

• julie herbert
    4年前

I think your kitchen is beautiful, adding some gorgeous accessories will change the look and you will wonder why you were so worried, it’s a beautiful space.

• julie herbert
    4年前

And these, just beautiful, for your beautiful kitchen

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Thanks @Julie! The photos are gorgeous. I especially like the last photo.

• julie herbert
    4年前

Me too, perfect for your beautiful kitchen.

• ctathome
    4年前

I love some of the suggestions and if you think tone on tone with the whites and creams, like the bathroom image, it may resolve the dilemma. Dulux also have an online Chat service. Much to my delight while hubby was recently rebuilding a wall I was able to send through some photos and text and the consultant provide some very valuable input. Not the same as someone in your home but a starting point which is easy, and free.

• Anne Monsour
    4年前

Some more suggestions for handles .

• User
    4年前

So sad you are disappointed with the end result of your kitchen. However, the colour combination is actually very sophisticated and I like it. Live with it for a while and see if you get used to it. If not have cupboard doors repainted, as suggested. Good luck with it.

• Sandra b
    4年前

I had the exact same concern with my bathrooms. My tiles were off white and my granite tops were white. But after running it past a colour consultant was assured it all worked. And I was very happy with the end result.
    I think your black handles work well. I’d consider adding some black accents including black sink and mixer. Painting your walls Dulux Natural White would work well.
    Good luck.

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

Hi everyone,
    Been a bit silent here but I wanted to share an update on what’s been happening (and it’s good news):

• firstly changed the lights to a cooler tone. went for 4 downlights - frameless ones for a diffused look. This changed the entire look of the kitchen on its own. I had warm lights before which made my cabinets appear yellow. Now with the more cooler “daylight” lights, this is not a problem any more. I still see the contrast between the white stone and the off-white cabinets but I now like the combo! It’s actually a match.
    • I also bought white handles (they were from ikea) but it looked too mellowed down for my liking. I preferred the bit of contrast brought my the black handles so I’ve decided to stick with it!
    • Next, the walls. I called up Dulux consultant but felt he was but pricy for me: $195/hour. So went to Bunnings and spent quite sometime getting samples and coming back home and trying to make another scary decision i.e. colour of walls. We bought 2 samples home and tried it against a section of the wall - just like suggested in this thread, and made a decision on Dulux Hog Bristle Half and a fresh ceiling coat of white. I swear, until the paint dried, I was still so nervous. But I loved the end result. P.S. painting was a family affair. We learned some new skills!
    • I am now looking to pretty up the space with some accents and decorations.

I no longer think the offwhite and white is disaster. I totally see why so many of you are in love with this combo. My issue, I think was really the lighting. THANK YOU so much for all your contributions. I really appreciate it. Attaching a photo of the final result.

• JE C
    4年前

Well done, amazing what a difference lighting can make.

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

And I forgot to mention, I took in the suggestion by @Siriuskey to match the walls and the cabinets and make the stone benchtop the hero :D Thank you Siriuskey!

• julie herbert
    4年前

Gorgeous, now add some of those gorgeous accessories.

• siriuskey
    4年前

You have done an amazing job your new kitchen looks beautiful

• Kate
    4年前

Hi Supriya, glad you are happy now. Well done. It is amazing the difference light globe tones make.
    Enjoy

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

And Thank you @Kate for suggesting the light colours!

• clado-0298
    4年前

@supriya love the new pic, looks amazing now! have you considered putting underbench lights in beneath the glass cabinets?

• Supriya Shakya
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@claud98 - Yes & No... We have actually already purchased the lights but some misunderstanding with our kitchen guy, apparently it wasn’t in his quote :( So we need get quotes from the electrician separately to get it set up.

• deb
    4年前

I have cream cupboards cream tile backsplash and am going to have a bench top of white with grey n cream/beige lines thru it. My walls are painted grey with white trim.picture shows grey wall n cabinet. Haven’t got new top yet but it will look lovely as would yours

• legendaryflame
    4年前

Supriya, that looks fantastic! You have done well!

• PRO
    justjan49
    4年前

Exactly the same tones as mine except i lifted it with a stainless steel col glass splashback and s/steel handles. I can change my accessories to suit the season even . clean and lovely as dark col bench tops look cluttered to me.Infact last week we even replaced the two downlights with 2 smoked glass pendents over the sink ( like yours) and they look great. Glad you are happier with your chosen result.

• Mattie
    4年前

Gorgeous! Post a pic of the finished kitchen with accessories!