Houzz Logo Print
lkboken

Outdoor urban landscape lighting

NYCish
4年前

Hi all. I’m back! So we have a backyard plan for the house we are purchasing. I took the advice of some Houzzers!! Its a gut reno of a 1901 row home outside of nyc. Attached on both sides. It’s a quasi-spec. We have been able to choose, customize and modify a lot, but some things have already been decided, etc. The designer asked me today if I had considered perimeter lights or landscape lighting. I hadn’t. But now I should since doing it after the fact won’t make sense

The fence is based on a cinderblock foundation topped by bluestone, which is topped by ipe about 6’ tall. There is conduit for outdoor speakers.

I’d like some sort of perimeter lighting. We won’t move in until early September so I’m not expecting much to be planted in the beds; we are bringing few hydrangeas I have already repotted and are ready to be transported.

I can’t envision it being easy or feasible to do fence sconces since it is a shared fence. Or is this possible? I’m meeting with the electrician next week but have no idea what to suggest. Stake lighting? I found a few from tech lighting. Our beds aren’t raised. I just want a warm general glow, perhaps uplighting, from the perimeter of the fence.

Sorry for silly emoji on the pic!

コメント (16)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4年前

If the fence is two-sided, there is probably a way to work wire in between the faces and do the wall sconces.

• NYCish
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@yardvaark I think it is only one sided.

• NYCish
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@yardvaark also, you might recognize some tweaks to our layout as they were suggested by you! (Cropping off the corners of the back beds etc). My husband is a bit concerned that things aren’t “symmetrical” but I wanted to take advantage of the sun while allowing maximum turfed space. I figure it’s easier to rip out the turf and add beds than vice versa

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4年前

@NYCish, I didn't recognize it as something we'd seen before, though it had some vague familiarity.

I would be looking at adding a decorative strip (channel) of some kind, either at back or front of the fence, and concealing the wire within it.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

There is a lot to consider here.

stair lights would be good, then I would want perimeter lights that do a duel functions of lighting up the plants softly and directing traffic if you will I would not do wall lights on the fence but rather stake lights with a high hat, some possible up/spot lights to highlight certain parts of the garden. Question, how many switches can you install, where would the transformer go? You have really 2 spaces that need some soft light,

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

Also only use brass or copper, powder coat never lasts that well, I would rather see patina than rust or flaking. Yes its more, but in the long run much fewer replacements needed

• NYCish
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@RL Relocation LLC thank you. Im not sure where any of the electrical will go, nor the transformer. The bed nearest the house between the grill and house will end up being some dead space; perhaps there. And there is some electrical in that wall already.. I'm not sure if I'll even light that little bed; as it might eventually house the hose. It just needed to be there to meet permeability.

I like the idea of the stake lights and some uprights. I also love the stair lights you posted, however it is a black steel stair with perhaps open treads..its not the most beautiful staircase but its functional I guess. Any online vendors to source the actual fixtures you'd recommend?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

Volt lighting, has some good priced brass fixtures, kichler lighting, spj lighting, most online vendors should carry these brands. It will give you sticker shock on the brass or copper, but like I said when you end up with snow and water on them all the time, the rust, or flaking of paint will lead to replacement cost down the road. Also brass won't corrode the threading together so you won't have to fight the bulb changes either. The reason I lit the little area by the trash is just that, might give you a little light in that area when walking out at night, you wont have to turn on the porch light.

• NYCish
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@RL thank you. Helpful. I had come across a few brands. Including WAC. That was another that popped up.

I’m on the fence (pun intended) if we are going to do the lighting. I know it will harder to do down the line if we don’t do it now..but ouch, budget. Of course. Always budget. Also don’t want to hold the project up. My husband proposed solar but ugh...I know they’ve come a long way but just doesn’t look as good.

• NYCish
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

@volt, that solar light looks really, really nice. There is a chance down the line (once we replenish our bank account, ha) that we will dig up and redo the beds and turn them into some nice raised beds so with that said, we could run some wiring later.

I like that solar light a lot; going to take a closer look. Thank you!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

VOLT® Lighting whats the warranty on your fixtures, and the solar panel? That is sweet!

• PRO
    VOLT® Lighting
    4年前

@RL Relocation LLC, all of our brass fixtures carry a Lifetime Warranty; including the new solar spotlight! The batteries carry a 2-year warranty and are easily replaceable (we carry the replacements as well) . They are quite beautiful and the only brass, solar spotlight in the industry. Also, whereas many other solar manufacturer's largely exaggerate their outputs, ours does emit 200 Lumens of output on a full-charge.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4年前

amazing Volt! I really like it and Im a big advocate of brass or copper in gardens!

• PRO
    VOLT® Lighting
    4年前

Thank-you! We also have a selection of copper fixtures, also backed by lifetime warranties. :)

• wdccruise
    4年前
    最終更新:4年前

Take a look at the International Dark Sky Association's website for information about light pollution and outdoor lighting. Following dark sky recommendations would lead you to select fixtures that face downward and illuminate areas no larger than necessary at a brightnesses no higher than necessary. Uplights should be avoided. Your neighbors will appreciate your dark sky fixtures as well!

PR