Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_miller1887

Need help figuring out a new front door

I'm getting ready to sign a contract to replace the glass and front door for more energy efficient options. It will look largely the same with thicker framing around the windows due to vinyl cladding. I want a mid-century look so I'm thinking about just a slab door, but I'm worried it will be a little too plain without a color. The mail slot will be gone and I don't want glass in the door. The siding is Alside Coastal sage and a new roof/Pewter Gray is coming in a couple weeks.

Any Ideas?

コメント (13)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4年前

Is that glass to the right of the door?

• hellumme
    4年前

Maybe a door with trim, like the ones below... or a regular slab door (or double doors) in a bright color with an escutcheon around the handle (third picture.)

• groveraxle
    4年前

Paint your downspouts to match your brick. Do a black door. Add a wider walkway.

• PRO
    New York Hardware
    4年前

We recommend you not have your new door(s) pre-bored. It will limit your front door hardware options. Also, watch the door thickness, not much locking options for door over 2-1/4" thick.

The mid-century backplates suggested look good and Kudo's to Liz's Antiques for creating some reproductions. Awesome option for mid-century doors with deep backsets, but not sure you want them for new installation.

Your New York Hardware Team!

Over 75 years experience between us.

www.nyhardware.com

info@nyhardware.com

Jennifer MillerさんはNew York Hardwareさんにお礼を言いました
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4年前

Is all the glass being removed? Including the transom? If so, what will replace it?

• skunst2017
    4年前

What do you like or need ?? Do you really want people to look into your house ? I would do a large beautiful double door without Windows or just a small window that can be closed from the inside .
    Our neighbors have your door set up and hate it .. They feel insecure about the Windows and have covered it up with drapery ...does not look good ..., perhaps slightly mirrored Windows ? Or black ...? I would rethink your needs before putting money down on anything at this time . Wait and look at all your options first . Is your neighborhood secure ...etc.

• Elaine Ricci
    4年前

If you're concerned about privacy with the sidelight, how about replacing the clear glass panels with stained glass?

• Elaine Ricci
    4年前

Or, as a lower-cost alternative, cling film with stained-glass look?

Dogwood Sidelight Premium Film · 詳細

• Elaine Ricci
    4年前

The one pictured is one I have been considering getting for my own home. Go to Houzz and inpu "privacy film" to see other options that will be better suited to your house's style.

• Elaine Ricci
    4年前

*input

• Jennifer Miller
    質問の投稿者
    4年前

the current glass is obscured glass and I'll put a film on the new windows to do simulate that effect. There are a couple manufactures that make some pretty, but subtle films. I'm thinking rain glass or linen. I'm dedicated to keeping to the look of the original as much as possible. I think at some point people will come to appreciate the model for its historical value. In this neighborhood and others in Northern VA some guy back in the 1950s and 1960s came up with this model and four others and repeated them across the region.