Houzz Logo Print
sjd2720

something different at the top of the stairs?

sjd2720
5年前
We are part way through our renovation and the next stage is the stairs and landing. The hallway downstairs has light grey walls with white skirting/trim/doors however I’m bored of this look and I want to maybe incorporate some coloured woodwork instead of same old white for the doors and bannister upstairs.
The landing gets little light so I’m afraid that dark woodwork (I love dark blue/grey) would be too dark. But I would also like people to look up the stairs and see something different. The colour of the bathroom at the top of the stairs is actually orange at the moment so I’ve used the dulux app to get rid of the distraction!! We like greys, sage green and light blues and think they compliment the grey that is downstairs well but we are open to any and all ideas as we are overwhelmed at the moment! Also, we haven’t decided on flooring yet. Thanks

コメント (7)

• Lisa D
    5年前
    Tbh I would keep the same as downstairs running up otherwise how would you separate colours? Make your banister the dramatic focal point - paint it a colour you love. Tie in some picture frames on the walls and you make your fairly blank canvas more interesting
  • jillyhilltop
    5年前
    If the landing is dark anyway I would go with the dark blue or a dark green up the wall from the downstairs hall and on the landing. Keep the doors and woodwork white for crisp contrast. I have a similar issue with light to a hall from one small window and borrowed by leaving doors open. When the rooms are tidy enough to be on view... :-)
  • Sonia
    5年前

I personally would keep the wall colour in the hall, stairs and landing the same. If you are bored with grey, then your favourites, a nice sage green or pale blue would be an option. Of course wall paints can look very different in differing aspects and light. You can add drama by painting the stair rail a dark tone which can look amazing. Don’t forget you can add interest with artwork.

• Juliet Docherty
    5年前

I would decide on the flooring first.

• PRO
    K and D Joinery Ltd
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

We completed a project a couple of years ago, which while different, may give you a good idea of what dark blue woodwork looks like.

Victorian Renovation Project in Islington. · 詳細

But as you say that landing doesn't receive much sunlight, you can always have two-tone doors and have darker woodwork on the inside of one of your lighter rooms.

• Carolina
    5年前

Hi, how about wallpaper on the wall on the left, going up the stairs?

Hallway wallpaper ideas · 詳細

Then painting the back wall on the landing, so the wall that you face when going up the stairs, in a colour, including the plain middle door so that kind of disappears into the wall, and painting the other doors white (or off white).