Houzz Logo Print
melandadams91

waterproof flooring

We are getting ready to build a new home and the Appraisor suggested we use waterproof laminate flooring instead of wood or ceramic tile. Has laminate flooring up'd their game? Is it nicer and more durable than hardwood and ceramic?

コメント (7)

• cpartist
    5年前

Not really.

• worthy
    5年前
    最終更新:5年前

Check out Dumaplast, Aquastep and Parclolys.

Instead of a core of re-claimed wood products, they combine a plastic overlay with plastic synthetic cores such as PVC. There are also laminates with high-density wood cores that are said to resist water better than their predecessors.

For long term beauty, I'd still go for hardwood and ceramic. But I've used laminates in rentals and sparingly in renovations; and the new products certainly sound attractive for basements. (Just as I've got 1,100 sf. original-style laminate sitting boxed in my garage!)

• MountainView
    5年前

I've never heard of getting interior design advice from an appraiser...

• Small Town Friendly
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    @mountain view. Neither have I and I'm not comfortable having our home appraised with laminate floor opposed to hardwood
    l thought she knew something I didnt.
  • SJ McCarthy
    5年前

The real question needs to be asked: Do YOU need water proof flooring for the ENTIRE HOUSE? If not, then don't go with that type of product. And the water "proof" laminates are a weird bunch. There are a few that are truly water proof (means they can sit in a bathtub full of water for 2 weeks without any problems). The vast majority are called water proof or "life proof" are actually water resistant (can handle 30 minutes of a standing puddle of milk...but that's it). It's all about hype and how the sales people can upsell their products.

Now, if you do NOT need water proof, then there is no need to PAY for the extra protection. In design, it is still perfectly acceptable (in the real-world...not the glossy pages of a magazine) by homeowners and homebuyers to have different flooring products in the "wet" areas such as kitchens, baths and entranceways.

That means you can have tile in the kitchen, bath and entranceway and then your choice of flooring throughout the rest of the space. A high-end, yet "regular" laminate will offer a great product with great wear characteristics for $1/sf LESS than the Aquaguard "water proof" laminate products.

If you want engineered hardwood, then go for it...it can go in the kitchen and entranceways. The bathrooms will need something else, but they almost always do. So no harm there.

Again, ask yourself the BASE question: Do I NEED to have WATER PROOF flooring in every square inch of my home? If you do NOT, then there is no need to go down the road of "weird" water resistant laminates that really aren't much better than the high-end stuff out of Europe.

• PRO
    Audacity Flooring
    5年前

Waterresistant Laminate is an excellent choice, specifically Audacity by Armstrong. It features a 72H waterblock, which means it can handle standing water for 72h without affecting the floor.

Audacity can also be maintained easily with a use of mop. It is resistant to pet scratches, stains, spills like juice and even pet urine! Audacity can be installed in large areas (up to 4000sqft without T-molding).

Audacity has a sound absorbing pad, which allows for a pleasant walking sound and perfectly suits upstairs installation! Audacity comes with a matching stairnose, so you can perfectly install Audacity on your stairs.

Audacity also has stunning designs perfect for every room! Have a look at Audacity website for colors: https://staging.audacityflooring.com/collections/.

You can have a look on the website (https://audacityflooring.com) or feel free to contact us (contact@audacityflooring.com))) if you have any additional question! Best of luck with your project!

PR