Houzz Logo Print
clara241

Colour conundrum. Please help!

clara241
5年前
最終更新:5年前

I am trying to turn a room which is approx 21’ x 18’ into a child’s bedroom. I would like to paint the room a dusty pink like the attached images. We have also uncovered an original fireplace with the bottle green Victorian tiled intact, so I would like to keep these. I was thinking of a colour scheme of pink, gold and green to tie in with the tiles. The issue is the size of the room. If I paint all of the walls in the pink, I think it will be too much. I thought about painting the ceiling, original mouldings and the section down to the dado rail (about two foot under the mouldings) in the pink and the lower main part of the walls in off white but I’m not sure if painting the dark part on top works or not. The room opens onto a small west facing courtyard and the light in the afternoon is lovely, but quite dull sometimes during the day. The overall look I’m trying to achieve is like the third picture. Any advice would be really usefu!

コメント (16)

• PRO
    User
    5年前

I definitely wouldn't paint the ceiling and the decorative mouldings in Pink, have them white. then I think you could go pink all around the bottom. It's a large room so will look spacious regardless of colour. If you could attach pics it will be easier to see.

I'd probably suggest ( personally ) painting only the one wall behind the bed in pink and have the others a soft white to match the ceiling. The green of the fireplace will definitely look good against all white.

I did find this all pink room though and it does look really nice.

Painting the fireplace white will make it more bedroom friendly too

Sage green will also work with your pink / white and the fireplace tiles

clara241さんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • clara241
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thanks Man About The House. Those white fireplace images look really nice. I might be brave and go with the all pink!

• Juliet Docherty
    5年前

The top image looks more like Peignoir to me.

clara241さんはJuliet Dochertyさんにお礼を言いました
  • Sonia
    5年前

I think a pink ceiling would be overkill. Stick to a white or off white for the ceiling. The lower part of a dado rail wall is usually darker than the one above so not sure if off white would look right. How about the other way round and have the dusty pink below the dado rail and off white above? I think if you chose a paler dusty pink then you could have it all over. Pink goes beautifully with a soft sage green or even a soft grey.

clara241さんはSoniaさんにお礼を言いました
  • clara241
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Thank you Forzaitalia. I hadn’t considered the green as the main colou, but it looks good. Do you think it is ok to combine the dark green of the Victorian fireplace with a softer green on the walls?

• Sonia
    5年前
    I think it would look good with the dusty pink or the green. I saw some pictures that used a deep green with the pink, but I wasn’t sure you would want to go that dark! It’s funny that I want to use the dusky pink when I next decorate, I just love it! :-)
    clara241さんはSoniaさんにお礼を言いました
  • clara241
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Forzaitalia it seems like such a calming colour. I’m also not keen on the more traditional pinks for children’s rooms.

• Danielle H
    5年前
    Depending on how good your painting (or your decorators) skills are you could try an ombré effect. Either with the pink at the bottom or the top. I think it’s quite fun especially as it’s for a kids room.
  • PRO
    User
    5年前

Try Dulux Dusted Moss 3, it's a pale grey green, which will work great with the fireplace and dusty pinks.

clara241さんはUserさんにお礼を言いました
  • PRO
    BoConcept Manchester
    5年前

Have you considered wallpaper? We have worked closely with Murals Wallpaper and love the designs they have, they have an Dusty Pink Watercolour Design, we feel it would be perfect for a children's bedroom and suitable for when the child gets older too

It will add a modern feel to any room. This wallpaper is original art hand-painted by our in-house design team. The dark pink tones will liven up dark or muted décor by adding a pop of color.

https://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/shop-murals/dusky-pink-wave/

They also have multiple designs available, take a look at their web-site.

https://www.muralswallpaper.co.uk/

clara241さんはBoConcept Manchesterさんにお礼を言いました
  • minnie101
    5年前

Did you mean the picture rail rather than dado? If so, I assume the ceilings are high and the room could take a darker painter on the ceiling. I think it would also look nice with the walls painted up to the picture rails in pink. I think the colour rule is 60 (primary colour)/30 (secondary)/10 (accent) or you can split the secondary colour 60/15/15/10 so would think about what you're putting with it

I've been admiring farrow and ball setting plaster for ages and finally picked up a tester this week, it's shown in the last 2 photos, which may be another option

• clara241
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Minnie101, I did mean the picture rail....I just didn’t know what it was called! I’d thought about painting the ceiling and down to the picture rail pink. I thought I’d seen A farrow and ball cideo on it somewhere. I just didn’t want the walls to look like they were falling in with the dark colour on top. Setting plaster looks like a good option and just the kind of pink I was thinking about. Are you using it on a large or small space?

• minnie101
    5年前

I think you're right and they did do a feature on painted ceilings a while back, will see if I can I find some photos. How tall are the ceilings as a darker ceiling colour can visualily change the room proportions? I'm contemplating using it in a bedroom which is smaller at 17 x 16 something with an off black feature wallpaper. It might be worth getting a tester though, my room has east facing windows plus a south facing one and it looks a bit dirtier, although I'm guessing it will look a bit pinker in a west facing room (?) although obviously that's fine for a child's room!

clara241さんはminnie101さんにお礼を言いました
  • clara241
    質問の投稿者
    5年前

Minnie101 the pink and the off black wallpaper sound like a lovely combination. I’d love to see a picture of that. I haven’t measured the ceilings (and can’t becsuse I’ve got a slipped disk!), but I think they are approx two or two and a half foot taller than the average ceiling (including the moulding). I know that Abigail Aherne is a proponent of painting ceilings in darker colours. She has a beautiful all off black living room with white, pink and green accents I think. Not sure if I could be that brave.

• minnie101
    5年前

I'm not sure of the average height, is it 8ft or lower now? I think it depends how much contrast there is with the wall colour. I found this F&B pic of the same room and you can see how much the darker colour visually lowers the room. In the last pic as the colours are similar in tone (well above the rail), it doesn't lower it. You could always start by painting the ceiling and then assess (although not poor you with the slipped disc). I think AA paints everything the same hue! I've got a little spare room and the ceilings are 10.5-11 ft so considering painting that one dark to lose the cupboard feel...