Houzz Logo Print
marie_nelson21

Disappointed with preliminary plan...

MC
5年前
最終更新:5年前

Hi all,

I'm sincerely hoping the experts on here can give me some advice.

My husband and I are closing on a lot in 5 days and will be building a new house to raise our two small children in. Three weeks ago we met with an architect who designed two houses that we really liked. During our meeting we brought a 3 page list outlining our needs, wants, and dreams broken down room by room. We were hoping that he would use the two houses we liked as inspiration and design something that incorporated our specific needs and wants.

After looking at our pie shaped lot he found that neither of the two houses we liked will fit. So, he chose another house that he has designed and put it on our lot with no consideration to the list that we provided him.

We feel disappointed that we are no farther along than we were after our initial meeting and I feel that I need to sketch up exactly what I want and bring it to him although that's not my job and I have no idea what I'm doing....

Does this sound like a normal part of the design process or should we run the other way?

Below is what he gave to us. The majors that it is missing are:

Three bedrooms on main floor (master separated from two kids rooms)

Flex space for play area/homework area

Two closets in the master

Mud room separate from laundry

Utility sink

An extra 800 sq ft (we'd like 2400 main floor)

What are your thoughts on the below plan? Give it to me straight...I want all the information possible before following up with him next week.

Any suggestions on how to rework this so it's not so boxy? I value natural light an worry that something like this might be cavelike...

Thank you in advance to anyone who read this and is willing to help out!!!

コメント (27)

• Kristin S
    5年前

No, that is NOT how an architect normally operates. Are you certain he’s a licensed architect, not a draftsman or designer? It can be hard to tell initially for homeowners, as a friend says, “oh, you’ll love my architect,” so you assume someone is an architect who in fact isn’t.

Whether he’s an architect or not, I would find someone new. This start wouldn’t give me confidence he can design a custom home to meet my needs. Think of it this way - you’re lucky you’re finding this out fairly early in the process.

• pink_peony
    5年前

Why isnt he drawing up home plans for you based on your lot configuration and based on your wish list? Why is he taking existing plans and trying to pass them onto you?

• K H
    5年前

Where are the other bedrooms? I would ask why the things you wanted werent incorporated and if you don’t get a design that meets your needs find someone else.

• MarleneM
    5年前
    I can understand your disappointment, but I’m wondering if the 3 car garage is on your wish list? It does take up a large portion of the lot. If it is a requirement I think you may be wanting more than your lot can handle.
  • cpartist
    5年前

This looks like plans from a draftsman/designer and not a licensed architect. Big difference.

• CLC
    5年前

I can see why you are disappointed......some of your wishlist items are pretty major to miss (like the bedroom layout). I think the overall shape of the home could work well on your lot, but it sounds like the layout itself is missing the mark. Are you hoping to have both an office and a flex space/playroom on the main, along with two more bedrooms and amother full bath? Also, with two kids, you will want a bigger mudroom than this, believe me!

Can you share the two homes/floorplans you liked?

• MountainView
    5年前

While I would NOT be happy with an architect/residential designer, who was hired to build a custom design, giving me a plan that is one of his former designs, I will say that not everything on a wish list always makes it into the initial design.

When we met with our residential designer (not a licensed architect, but I was fine with that) I gave him our three page list of our "wants and needs" and our basic budget ($800k-$1M for building costs; we already owned the lot.) Also chatted with him about our lifestyle, walked the lot with him, got to know him, he got to know us. He then went off and came up with the preliminary sketch (not a detailed drawing like you have, because why would he put all that effort into it when we hadn't even reviewed it yet? If the first "design" you receive is this detailed, I think that is a warning that he is reusing a plan from another client.)

Anyway, I loved the exterior elevations. Loved the first floor plan. Loved the lower level walkout plan. But then got to thinking "what about xx? And where's yy from my list of requirements?" But after looking at it more with my hubby and chatting with the designer, I realized he had left off things because it just wasn't possible to have EVERYTHING on my list and stay within our budget constraints. If he had put everything in, it would have been a $2M house, and I'd have been left loving it, but needing to cut pieces out. This way, he took his knowledge of us and created a plan that had the basics and some of the most important extras and would fit our budget. Then if something was SO IMPORTANT that we couldn't live without it, we brought it up and he did his magic, or talked about the impact to the overall size/cost. We had a few rounds of modifications, but the reality is that our designer was really darn close to nailing it on the first design, and the things we changed were pretty minor.

We have now been looking at and dreaming of this plan for about 6 months (at the point of getting structural drawings now) and love every bit of it and are so glad that our designer was wise enough to see that all the things we listed weren't possible in our budget. And glad he pushed back by leaving them out of the initial designs to force us to think about it.

Now, all of this was on a 1/2 acre lot and we wanted to keep it around 3000 sq ft (including the 2 car garage and walkout basement, so really looking at 1500sq ft for the main level.) We did end up slightly larger at 3200 sq ft total with 1800 sq ft on the main level, but our lot easily accommodated that.

Your lot looks a lot smaller than ours, and while I don't think this plan was designed for your needs, I will say that I'm not sure your lot can accommodate your requirements. I think your architect may not be the right one based on the other red flags, but don't be surprised if the next one does something similar to what our designer did -- which is to give you the reality of what will work for your situation and your desires based on his knowledge and experience.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5年前

It appears from what you (OP) say that this individual is simply plopping a previously pre-designed house on the property you are buying.

That is not what an architect does. It's what a designer or CAD driver does. "Concept Seven Designs" suggests an unlicensed designer. Architects use the term "architects".

Find someone who knows what they are doing. Don't waste your time on this individual.

• User
    5年前

You must have asked for the bare minimum in architectural services for an architect to show you designs for another client and site unless its a way to find out what you like.

You have not turned on messaging in your profile so please forgive me for saying this on the forum: its best not to post the copyrighted work of an architect with the architect's firm name on it unless you have permission.

I hope you are able to find a good design.

• tiggerlgh
    5年前
    A quick google search you can find the firm skimming it nothing said they were architects but definitely called themselves designers. OP go get a real architect you won’t regret it.
  • bichonbabe
    5年前

I think there is something missing from this story. Is this a true custom home or is this in a tract development?

• PRO
    Lilian H. Weinreich, Architects
    5年前

My advise - if the relationship and understanding starts off not well - 99% of the time it ends up badly - get out ASAP and find a sympathetic architect - who can understand your needs and translate that into architecture .................. Good Luck

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    5年前

This is another case of an OP thinking s/he is working with an architect, and uses the term "architect" in the posting...but it's not an architect or architectural firm.

• BT
    5年前

I am pretty sure someone there is an architect. They would not be able to design commercial structures otherwise. [You can see plenty of them on their website: business park, fitness clubs, equipment rental].

=

Playing the devil's advocate, the designer went from one b/l setback line to another. I doubt there is a space for all three bedrooms on the first floor and a separate mudroom, a laundry, two master closets, master bath, three car garage, a kitchen, livingroom, dining room and to add the extra two bedrooms will need another bathroom .. all of that on this small lot. You have to manage your expectations.

• cpartist
    5年前

BT, while they may have an architect for their commercial projects, I'm guessing not so for their residential ones.

• User
    5年前

Montana does not issue firm licenses but multi-family and commercial architectural work must be overseen by an architect. I'm not sure if that means the architect must be a principal in the firm or can an employee or a consultant. I'm also not sure if Montana is strict about engineers performing architectural work. Every state is different.

• MC
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank for the discussion so far, everyone!

Yes, I used the wrong terminology as I believe he is a “designer”. We will be moving on to find a licensed architect.

I especially appreciated the comment about not posting copyrighted work... I didnt even think about that and feel foolish yet can’t for the life of me figure out how to remove the pictures...
  • Kristin S
    5年前

Marie - Houzz doesn't let you change your initial post. I would send them an email explaining that you posted a plan to which you don't have the copyright and ask them to take it down for you.

Good luck finding an architect who is a good fit for you. I'll be excited to see what an architect designing for your and your family specifically can develop :-).

• MC
    質問の投稿者
    5年前
    Thank you, Kristin! I’ll reach out to them and hope that they are responsive!
  • User
    5年前

Bringing suits against a client in federal court would be highly unusual for a design firm. And you didn't show enough of the design for someone else to benefit much from using their work. In the future, remove their name to avoid possible embarrassment.

I said something on the forum about the well known internet architect John Tee and he clicked the like button. You never know who is watching.

• dan1888
    5年前

Since you won't close on the lot for 5 days, now may be the time to reevaluate the lot purchase. You may want to look at something larger.

• PRO
    User
    5年前

I agree with dan1888. Your want list is larger than your lot can handle. Small pie lots are very limiting as to design. Getting everything may not be possible.

I akways suggest going through a list to prioritize. Rank as 1-5 in importance. 5 is MUST have. 1 is, if there’s plenty of money left over, let’s add it. Then rank the whole list as 1-25, or however many the list might be. Imagine that every big want is 50K, and every smaller want is 10K. You can really have only 5 of the large wants, and 5 of the smaller wants.

That’s simplistic, and not accurate. But it does allow you to think about what are the actual needs behind some of the wants. Every client that I have wants a “really big island”, even when that is physically impossible. It’s the “why” behind that request that is important. Is it for the added work surface that their current kitchen doesn’t have? Or because they want to have seats and interact socially with visitors? Or is it because a neighbor just put in a 5x10 one, and they want to be able to top that?

Pare down to the actual needs and motivations behind the wish list.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5年前

"We will be moving on to find a licensed architect."

Best news I have heard today. I think you will be much happier.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5年前

Good for you and good luck. Just remember wants and needs are not the same and usually the budget controls the wants.

• pink_peony
    5年前

To remove the picture from the post hit edit three dots right upper corner. Once in edit move bring your curser to sit past the photo then hit the back arrow, delete button or back space bar and it should remove it. Or highlight it and hit delete. Then once the photo is gone from the post you can hit submit again.

• PRO
    Summit Studio Architects
    5年前

I love The Cook's Kitchen's ranking system. I think your number one big want you need to carefully consider is the desire to have the master bedroom and two additional bedrooms on the main level. While I do think this is possible on this lot, it may not be your best approach. If your location requires you to have a basement (I read Montana somewhere), every square foot on the main level will require a corresponding square foot of basement. Your setbacks can accommodate a larger footprint, but do you really want to use up so much valuable outdoor area?

P.S. If you want a plan that doesn't meet your most basic program, I have dozens. ;-)

PR